Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

I thought I had reached a nadir of political cynicism. I was wrong. You've probably received those calls from the guy fundraising to elect politicians who'll be pro-police, pro-firefighter, or pro-veteran? Starts with a dad joke like, "You're the first person I've reached this hour, and I'm pretty tall"?

Aside from these being relatively high-quality robocalls, what actually happens to any money people give?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/25/podcasts/the-daily/republican-robocall-donors.html

It's evil genius. The final stage of using the culture war as a cover for corporate interest. Except in this case, the corporate interest is... the three guys who run the whole scheme. Pure predation of upset people who want to be righteous. And it's all legal.

Dean Shomshak

5 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

You might want to talk to someone who spent 18 years in prison. I talked to one who had spent twelve years. There were times he thought he'd have preferred the death penalty.

The penalty for sedition used to be a wee bit harsher than just 18 years.  Furthermore this particular seditionist remains an unrepentant threat to democracy.

Prosecutors in the case had asked for 25, so figure, that's the high bound.  18's a long time...especially as the guy is 56.  His non-repentance is likely to mean he's not going to be paroled early, too.

The police "fund raising"...yeah, read that one too.  Sounds like 3 grifters.  One big help for me:  I ditched my telco landline ages ago.  Internet's through cable;  the landline uses VOIP (voice over IP, aka internet calling), which is

--MUCH cheaper 

--has more services built in...most particularly, anonymous call rejection, spam filtering, and even call screening...the caller has to hit a button before he's allowed to reach my phone.  

Basically, many of the same services your phone offers...because the call has to go through a smart system, rather than a dumb switchboard.  The FTC's been VERY slow in forcing the telco's to upgrade.

Even through most of the '20 election, I wasn't actually getting bombarded with junk calls.  Unfortunately...I started collecting social security last year...and can sign up for Medicare later this year.  THAT has triggered a spate of calls and junk mail, from companies wanting to feed you information about it all.  

It's legal because it's practically impossible to write laws without loopholes...that also don't become overly restrictive.  "Nuance" is something that's almost impossible to achieve, I think, in modern law.  Even if one starts with it, case law ends up chopping it up into "yes this counts" or "no, the term doesn't include this behavior"...at which point nuance is dead.