Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

51 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I noticed reading over the article that it sounded like they were describing a hypothetical or simulated scenario. So, not tragic yet, just bloody scary.

When someone at work first told me about it, I said, "That's the plot to the movie, Stealth."

He then said, "We will need to worry when the computers start talking to each other."

To which I replied, "That's part of the plot to Colossus: the Forbin Project."

Cornel West To Run For President As Third Party Candidate

“I have decided to run for truth and justice, which takes the form of running for President of the United States as a candidate for the People’s Party.  .  .I enter in the quest for truth, I enter in the quest for justice, and the presidency is just one vehicle to pursue that truth and justice — what I’ve been trying to do all of my life.”

And now I wonder if he's a Superman fan.

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I've been reading many Russian apologists online who are arguing for the Russian claim that Ukraine is responsible, because the released waters are flowing more on the Russian side of the Dnipro River. As though Ukrainian and Russian governments have a comparable recent history of not caring what they do to their own people to win.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

I've been reading many Russian apologists online who are arguing for the Russian claim that Ukraine is responsible, because the released waters are flowing more on the Russian side of the Dnipro River. As though Ukrainian and Russian governments have a comparable recent history of not caring what they do to their own people to win.

Well, we've certainly seen that a disturbingly large number of people can live in a fantasy land of their own making, so I suppose we shouldn't be surprised.

I was watching a Russian YouTube streamer with a quite good track record of analyzing events involving Russia, who after looking at the available evidence, has concluded that the collapse of that dam in Ukraine was most likely an accident caused by poor/faulty maintenance of the dam by Russia, which the Russian government has blamed on Ukraine to avoid responsibility for their own ineptitude. Interesting theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmsDYKFt4mI

(First half hour or so is the analysis, rest is a chat in the live stream.)

Edited by Lord Liaden

Well, we've certainly seen readiness reports that were complete fabrications.  They paint this rosy picture, but we know the truth from the battlefield results.

OH GOD............

STUPID

STUPID
FREAKING STUPID

kid and his dad get gunned down by someone else AT THEIR FREAKING HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION CEREMONY!!!!!!  
In front of the entire class and families....

TO HELL WITH EVERY DAMN POLITICIAN WHO REFUSES TO DO JACK ABOUT GUN CONTROL!!!!!

10 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

“I never wished a man dead, but I’ve read some obituaries with great pleasure.” -- Mark Twain.

"You shouldn’t say anything about the dead unless it’s good. He’s dead. Good." – attributed to Moms Mabley (1894–1975)

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Undoubtedly, but at least the GOP have no power to actually block the proceedings.

No, but they can make the process extremely onerous, by issuing tons of subpoenas of their own, and attempt to poison the prosecution in the court of public opinion.  Congress has the right of oversight.  If they elect to abuse?  They'll be wanting to look at EVERYTHING.  And with the people we're talking about, we know they'll abuse their power in every way they can.

On 6/6/2023 at 3:12 PM, wcw43921 said:

Cornel West To Run For President As Third Party Candidate

“I have decided to run for truth and justice, which takes the form of running for President of the United States as a candidate for the People’s Party.  .  .I enter in the quest for truth, I enter in the quest for justice, and the presidency is just one vehicle to pursue that truth and justice — what I’ve been trying to do all of my life.”

And now I wonder if he's a Superman fan.

Sponsored by Amway

Former city and state rep Derwin Montgomery was sentenced yesterday to five years of probation and restitution after taking 25k from the charity he was running to hit Vegas and Cancun as part of a plea deal. Charges of wire fraud were dismissed as part of the deal.

CES