Superdraft: All Your Earths are Belong to V'han!

Hermit

Okay, I meant to make a lot more commentary myself inside this draft, but I ran out of clever...and mostly I'm busy getting all this down and being agog at the inventiveness of some of these picks. 

Nice work so far folks . I can't speak for you, but I'm enjoying this.

3 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Okay, I meant to make a lot more commentary myself inside this draft, but I ran out of clever...and mostly I'm busy getting all this down and being agog at the inventiveness of some of these picks. 

Nice work so far folks . I can't speak for you, but I'm enjoying this.

That was my reaction to the draft I ran a couple years back.  There are ideas out there I would never have imagined, let alone framed coherently.

" Incredible. You think this...EMP cannon can breach the force field around King Ghidorah? "

" In theory. There's much still unknown about the creature's physiology, but it should give Ultraseven a chance to defeat him...."

" And with him out of the picture, we can focus on the enemy fleet and ground forces. "

" Charles and I were just discussing a plan of action in that regard. We're going to use his abilities to launch a coordinated strike worldwide simultaneously. "

" I have a great respect for the professor's abilities, but I don't think even he is powerful enough to do that. Besides we're short on manpower and equipment. "

" Normally, you'd be correct, but normal limits go out the window when you have one of THESE in your possession. "

" Mr. Richards, is that an....infinity gem? "

" Call me Reed. You are correct. As for the other matter...."

" I shall aid you in that regard. Namor and the all the forces of Atlantis stand with the EDF. Let us end this in victory! "

Protagonist #3: Mr. Fantastic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Fantastic

Protagonist #4: Charles Xavier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_X

Protagonist #5: Namor, the Sub-Mariner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namor

Option #1: The Mind Gem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Gems

Option #2: The Atlantean Armed Forces...

charlesxavier_professor-x_01.jpg

namor.jpg

thXXYHDH9N.jpg

Mind_Gem_from_New_Avengers_Vol_3_3_001.jpg

Time to catch a little bit

Protatagonist #4:  Kurapika Kurta from HunterxHunter.  Last of the Kurta clan

Option #1:  If not already taken, I pick Doomsday as the Empress's "Champion".  I need someone with some pop to go against Trunks and Aizen.

I'll probably put up one more protagonist tonight, trying to decide between 2.  (I could indeed take both eventually but I don't know)

To prove that my card draw is on the up-and-up, I post here, at least a day in advance, what will happen with each suit if it is drawn.  I will make the actual pick later.

I found it easy to accommodate three of the four suits into this.  The hard one was Diamonds, the McGuffin: none of the options fit in naturally with the theme I was developing.

So ... before drawing the card, here's what happens in each case.

Clubs (betrayal):

"Hey, Mouse dude!" came a voice from the ruins below.

Mighty Mouse spotted the caller.  A cat.  One of the targets.  The cat was far from cover out in the middle of a vacant lot, the debris of an old tenement having been cleared away.  He was waving a stick with something white on it ... ah, an almost-clean set of tighty-whities.  Flag of truce, perhaps, for these degenerates.

"What have you to say, evildoer?" called back the Mouse of Steel.

"Talk, man, just talk.  Right out here in the open.  No tricks, man.  Just like, rap."

Mighty Mouse scanned the seedy neighborhood for several blocks around.  The cat did indeed seem to be alone and unarmed.

"Very well."  He flew down and alighted ten feet from the cat, who also settled down and sat cross-legged on the ground, fumbling in a ragged fanny-pack he detached from his waist.

"What have you to say, evil feline?"

"Mouse dude, you been kickin' our cat butts good.  We're all back here in the slums of East Cattitude now, kinda hidin' out.  We don't really have a clue what it is you want.  Maybe we can, like, make a peace.  You stop kickin' us around and we, well, do what you want.  We just dunno what that is."

"So you are a peace delegation asking for terms?"

The cat scratched an itch, thinking, considered in a ragged, bloodshot-eyed way, and said, "Yeah, that's what they made me, I guess.  Told me to come out alone and make no moves, try to cut a deal we can live with.  What you want?"

"My commander told me to get the name and rank of any negotiator."

"Um.  Yeah.  Well, usually we cats don't pay much attention to names.  We know who we are, man.  But last time I did anything official-like they called me F. Frederick Skitty.  I was a special agent then, so you can call me a special agent now."

This seemed slightly irregular to Mighty Mouse, but "special agent" was a title he had encountered in earlier work.  "Very well, Agent Skitty.  We demand your complete and unconditional surrender."

"So, like, what's that mean, Mouse Dude?  We get it, that we need to harsh back on the rich banker fat cats and make 'em stop rippin' everyone off.  They rip the rest of us cats off too, you know.  We may need some help to get that done, but we got no problem with that."

"No more systematic predation and violence!"

"Like, what is that, man?  We get it, no more scoopin' up the field mice and boppin' 'em on da head.  (That was a bunny what did that, by the way, man.)  But there's lotsa cases where the mouse, man, he starts it.  Steals a cat's munchies while he's sleepin' it off, man.  Bad scene, of course you get mad when that happens.  I dunno if cats could go for lettin' mice rip 'em off, or set tails on fire, or s**t like that, without get mad and stuff.  But that seems personal, and this seems more like a war and personal stuff shouldn't be a war thing."

The cat's mangled syntax was difficult for Mighty Mouse to parse, but Skitty seemed to be sincerely trying to come to understand the grievances that The Brain had recruited Mighty Mouse to redress.  It was an honorable effort.  And yes, there were provocations the cats could truthfully cite.

"I suppose we could partition space, make safe areas where each side can live undisturbed, and designate common areas where peaceful intercourse can be carried out," said Mighty Mouse.  "It is not our desire to put an end to all cats.  We do want the episodes of terror and injustice to cease."

"I hear ya," said the cat.  He fumbled in his fanny-pack some more, and pulled out something unidentifiable.  "Let's mellow out some more and maybe we can dig all this better.  Here, this is good stuff."  The cat produced a match, lit one end of the little bundle, and inhaled the smoke.  "Peace pipe, kinda, but my pipe wouldn't fit in my pack, man."  He offered the item to Mighty Mouse.

The mouse was taken aback at being offered a smoke nearly as large as he was, but there was no doubt the cat was sincere.  And, allowance had to be made for indigenous custom; the willingness to be flexible about a peace pipe stuck him as generous and indicative of honesty.  So he hefted the reefer and took a token puff on it.

"Hey, man, that's no way to get it," said the cat in something like a tone of pity.  "To really chill out you need a bigger hit than that.  Like this, lemme show you.  I got several more in here, don't worry about that...."

An hour later, Mighty Mouse wavered unsteadily as he sat.  "The ... the colors."

"Hey, yeah, look at the pretty colors, man.  You're gettin' really mellow now," said the cat.

"Oh ... wow ... man," said Mighty Mouse, as the world spun slowly around him.

Hours later, Mighty Mouse regained consciousness.  It hadn't been ... unpleasant.  It had been disorienting.  That continued, as he had been asleep in a mouse-sized hammock in a small room he had never seen before.  But the accommodations were decent enough, if frugal, and the best that one might hope for in a war zone on the losing side.

He coughed.  The sound hurt his head.

“Hey, Mouse dude’s awake,” said the same cat’s voice, softly.  “Hungry?  Thirsty?”

“Ya,” said Mighty Mouse, feeling like a stuffed toy animal had been ripped open and installed in place of his mouth.

“Cheese, man,” replied Skitty, putting food on a battered plate forward.  “Oh-jay, too,” accompanied by a small bowl with orange liquid.  “You did real well for someone having their first high.  Gonna feel pretty fuzzy the morning after.  That’s OK, nothing wrong there.  Eat, drink, take a leak, sleep some more.  I’ll be watching over you.”

A couple more sleep/wake cycles later, with food and drink, and Skitty and Mighty Mouse were seated in a back room of Skitty’s battered hovel, eating a greasy cheese pizza from a nearby dive and drinking some cold cheap beer.  Not much was said, but the Mouse of Steel recognized that the cat had been treating him as an honored guest.

The mouse’s cell phone buzzed tyrannically.

“Wow, man,” said Skitty.  “Glad that didn’t do that while you was sleepin’.”

Mighty Mouse felt the same way.  He glanced at it, saw the spoofed name that meant it was from The Brain at the command center.  He picked up the call.

“Colonel Mouse, your report is overdue!” thundered Brain.  “Report!”

Mighty Mouse’s head hurt.

“I am alive and well and in negotiations with a delegation in East Cattitude,” he replied.  “The cats seem willing to accept terms.  Most of the discussions have involved … reaching common ground, and clarifying our demands.”

“TERMS?!?” Mighty Mouse’s sinuses throbbed.  “There are no terms.  They are to surrender unconditionally!”

“They acknowledge that, General.  Details of administration are … uh … “ he paused, waiting for the headache to recede.

“It sounds like you are exceeding the authority granted in your orders, Colonel!” Brain barked.

Skitty had moved away from the seat at the start of the conversation, crossing to a different room in the hovel, and setting up an unidentifiable apparatus.  He lit a match, and shortly the same smell as he’d experienced the day before drifted in, while The Brain bellowed imperious directives over the phone.

The smell tickled something in the back of Mighty Mouse’s brain.  He drifted slowly toward the other room.  Skitty offered him a hookah mouthpiece.

Mighty Mouse interrupted The Brain’s harangue, with a brief, “Chill out, man,” and sat down on the cushion across from Skitty.

Spades (sacrifice) and hearts (romance), believe it or not, have the same initial dialog:

“They blame you, Fritz.  They want your head on a plate,” said Krosp.

“You gonna hand me over?”

“That mouse has leveled five blocks looking for you.  Nothing to keep him from reducing the rest of the city, and finding you here.”  Krosp looked at him grimly.

Hearts (romance):

“I think we arrange for your escape, and then surrender once you’re clear,” continued the Emperor of Cats.

“Where are you going to send me?  My ladies will miss me,” asked Fritz.

“And you, them,” replied Krosp dryly.  “But I know a place where, I think, you can be happy.  It is remote, quiet, it has the needed, ah, amenities, and it can even claim to be a cloistered institution.  I don’t think they could find it even if they tried, and I doubt they will try when we tell them truthfully that you’ve gone off to a hermitage or sorts.”

We ship Fritz the Cat to a specially-drafted haven where he can be happy ever after …

We draft Castle Anthrax.

Spades (sacrifice):

“There is only one way I see to preserve what little we have left,” said Krosp.  He whispered into Fritz’s ear.

Fritz pitched forward in a faint.

“It’s that or they kill us all,” said Krosp.

“I’ll go,” said Fritz after came to.  “I owe it to the ladies, and everyone else.”

The final shot in the sequence is Fritz in a straightjacket being carried by a platoon of armed mice through a doorway.  The camera pans back after he passes through, and reveals a sign over the door before fading to black: East Cattitude Spay and Neuter Clinic.

Diamonds (McGuffin)

The McGuffin we choose is a vehicle.  A really big, really special vehicle: the Sapphire Star from the webcomic Quentyn Quinn, Space Ranger.

The story text here reads a lot like the Hearts case above, except that Fritz flees off-planet.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:27 AM, Psybolt said:

My playing card.  I used an online random card shuffler at Random.org.  And it gave the desperately exciting.

Four of Spades

image.png.d169d6d707eca348c26b526f839a8a3f.png

Hey Hermit,

The roster at the beginning of the thread says I had Clubs, but I drew a Four of Spades. 

You've got the same for Logan.  That is a spade.  This is a club image.png.6efe2266d06cd3619be2a8358f6b36d0.png

The worst thing about a war is the silence between the battles, Victor thought to himself. He'd been in the room with Mechanon for almost an hour, during which time the mechanical hero hadn't made a sound. It was unnerving.

In defiance of the silence, Victor spoke to himself. "We have five of the most powerful heroes on Earth leading the defense of our planet." He waited for a response, received none. "Five should be enough, shouldn't it?"

With that, he thought he saw Mechanon move. He looked more carefully. He couldn't be sure. If it had moved, it had done so almost imperceptibly.

"What, do you think we need one more?"

No response.

"You think we need one more."

Nothing.

"All right, we'll get one more."

Option (Protagonist): Lady Shiva