Happy Birthday to me

Iuz the Evil

As I age like fine wine, I've decided to venture forth from my dark palace to stretch my bony hand to claim new lands beyond the Flaeness. Turned 50 today, and went to a strange land I have never seen before with my brother to celebrate myself, the misty kingdom of Seattle. 

Very cool city. You Washington based HERO-philes are lucky folks. I hit the market yesterday after I arrived, had a lovely fish and chips at Ivar's, now I'm off to do touristy stuff. 

Woo, Iuz!  Have fun here in town, though you miss a full treat of scenery, with the low overcast preventing you from a view of Mt Rainier, the Olympics, and Mt Baker (though only a few places have line of sight to that one).  Happy birthday!

Me, I'm stuck in my office on First Hill grading papers today ...

On this, your special day, let me share with you the ancient birthday wisdom of my people:

Forget about the past. You can not change it.

Forget about the future. You can not predict it.

Forget about the present. I did not get you one.

Happy birthday anyway!

Amazing birthday trip. Going to be tired tomorrow. 

We got every thing in on the CityPass. Harbor tour, aquarium, Chihuly Glass, MoPop, Space Needle. Also hit Pikes Place Market, rode the monorail, and lots of great food. I tried to pick up a Ghoul Bounty or check one of the Arcologies like I've read about, but didn't seem to be able to find it. Great experience. 

Resized_20191124_111112.thumb.jpeg.3c39df5dd93c8ce608b3722c6065c3be.jpeg20191123_154947.thumb.jpg.465d8b19f5ee0df344e533ab04244a1a.jpg

In November ... hmmm ... Maybe the Burke Museum up on the U of W campus.  In warmer weather I'd stump for the Arboretum (including the Japanese garden, but that may be closed for the season) and the Ballard Locks (officially the Hiram Chittenden Locks) and Gas Works Park.  Dunno what it costs to get into the Burke, but the other two are free, and in warm weather, choice picnic spots.  Probably too brisk for a picnic, but the Locks are interesting nonetheless.

If you want to stay kind of downtown, walk onto the Bremerton ferry (there's a fare going west, but not the return leg) and sightsee both ways on the boat, and have dinner down in Chinatown.

Honestly I had great weather. High low 50s, no rain, good walking around town stuff. One of the best trips I've had. The steak at Jak's Grill was pretty fantastic. Ivar's was good halibut. Such a good time. I stayed at the Mariott BonVoy Waterfront, good view. Resized_20191123_181441.thumb.jpeg.79f464997ddfd2a0f72d11874f15a02a.jpeg

Flying out now. I'll be back though, just a really neat town. 

Resized_20191123_103026.thumb.jpeg.87c61db45c34798086ec4319d15a43e1.jpeg

On 11/23/2019 at 5:52 PM, Pariah said:

On this, your special day, let me share with you the ancient birthday wisdom of my people:

Forget about the past. You can not change it.

Forget about the future. You can not predict it.

Forget about the present. I did not get you one.

Happy birthday anyway!

I'd share the ancient wisdom of my people, but what's in it for me . . . 

Damn it. Shared the ancient wisdom of my people again. 

Anyway, have a great, 100% Aquaman-free birthday. Hard to do in Seattle, I know. 

Happy birthday! We may have briefly passed each other unknowing last weekend, as I went from bus to bus downtown on my to and from gaming.

Seattle is indeed an excellent city. If you can get there in the proper week of springtime, see the Japanese cherries blooming in the Quad at the UW, surrounded by the old Collegiate Gothic buildings. While you're there, stop by Suzallo Library and see the Reading Room, which looks like a Medieval baronial hall only with study carrels.

Unfortunately, the FLGS of the U District, called The Dreaming, closed a few months back, so you can't stop in to say "Hi" to Aaron and tell him I recommended it. 😢 But elsewhere in town is the Burke-Gilman Brewery, of which a gaming buddy of mine is one of the owners and operators. Ask for Corey to meet a fellow Herophile.

Dean Shomshak

Happy birthday! We may have briefly passed each other unknowing last weekend, as I went from bus to bus downtown on my to and from gaming.

Seattle is indeed an excellent city. If you can get there in the proper week of springtime, see the Japanese cherries blooming in the Quad at the UW, surrounded by the old Collegiate Gothic buildings. While you're there, stop by Suzallo Library and see the Reading Room, which looks like a Medieval baronial hall only with study carrels.

Unfortunately, the FLGS of the U District, called The Dreaming, closed a few months back, so you can't stop in to say "Hi" to Aaron and tell him I recommended it. 😢 But elsewhere in town is the Burke-Gilman Brewery, of which a gaming buddy of mine is one of the owners and operators. Ask for Corey to meet a fellow Herophile.

Dean Shomshak