In other news...

tkdguy

On 12/7/2017 at 9:28 AM, Hermit said:

In our 'what the ####?!!!!" Story of the week for me

A Georgia Man is ordered to cut off his own dog's dead head by a deputy

I get that the Deputy shot the dog because it lunged at him. I don't like it when dogs get shot, but in this case I get it. I can get that the dog's vaccinations need to be confirmed. But telling a man he has to cut off his own dead dog's head off, that you shot, RIGHT NOW or he's going to jail for 'Reasons' (Which you will find by God) is borderline insane, and such a grotesque and surreal metaphor for abuse of power my mind boggles. 

Oh I can top that.  

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/court-rules-detective-violated-teens-rights-in-sexting-case

Saudi Arabia residents will soon be able to go to the movies, after cinemas have been outlawed by the conservative regime for 35 years.

The first multiplex licenses will be issued next year, and if all goes well the government expects more than 2,000 screens to be in operation by 2030. The new move is an attempt to modernize the economy, whose dependency on petroleum revenue once made the country rich but will likely lead to trouble as oil becomes cheaper and less desirable. Currently Saudis must go abroad to go to the movies (and many actually do) and the regime needs that money to stay home.

It is not known yet what movies will be screened. Presumably censorship and editing will be heavy.

1 hour ago, Tech priest support said:

Saw that on the news yesterday. That was disgusting. The killer either didn't know how to control a suspect or deliberately set him up so he could shoot him. That's not how you make an arrest.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-vote.html

And Net Neutrality is gone, for now. But with the other end runs around freedom of information, this is just the latest the current FCC (Federal Criminal Conspiracy) has perpetrated. All hail the megacorps. 

Good thing we got that Citizens United ruling, eh?

The discarding of net neutrality regulations is the most significant and controversial action by the F.C.C. under Mr. Pai. In his first 11 months as chairman, he has lifted media ownership limits, eased caps on how much broadband providers can charge business customers and cut back on a low-income broadband program that was slated to be expanded to nationwide carriers.

By the way, the way we kill off the not rich in this reality is "Choice."

Getting rid of net neutrality enables the ISPs to offer more choices and this "helps competition."  What it really does is let them increase fees by choking the lower ends and offering more expensive packages that offer what our standard ones did now. 

They'll be able to stop us from seeing certain content. They'll be able to throttle the content of those who won't pay them. 

What are you going to do? Go somewhere else? 

A little before and after the FCC's Vote on Net Neutrality. 

Before:

DQ-SnuaUQAAYa01.jpg:large

After:

image.thumb.png.f3f190f858f2e670ad431752d1c95f63.png

That was fast. 

They no longer promise:

-Not throttle back the speed at which content comes to you
-Not prioritize Internet traffic or create paid fast lanes
-Make internet accessible to low income families

I understand the desire to discuss net neutrality, but it is pretty much impossible to keep such discussions separate from politics.  I've already had to lock one thread that went political, I'd rather not do the same here.

Keep politics to the political discussion thread.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

9qax1bn0m4401.jpg

Aren't we all?

There is already speculation on whether the heroine of Anastasia will be included in the list (the consensus is that she isn't wanted there -- for one thing, by all accounts it was not a good movie). People are jokingly suggesting the same for the Xenomorph Queen from the Alien franchise.

I just wish they'd ease off on the Princess bit for a little while. A Working-Class Heroine is Something to Be!

1 hour ago, Tech priest support said:

I'm tired of Disney getting everything. I do not want all media controlled by a company founded by Walt Disney.

I don't want all media controlled by a single company, no matter WHO founded it.

Lucius Alexander

I might be okay with all media controlled by palindromedaries, but how likely is that?