What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Left, Right and Centre A TV panellist becomes the Tory candidate for an upcoming by election and is clueless about the place he will represent. He travels to the place with the opposing Labour candidate who is a woman and inlets her know his cluelessness without realising who she is. But both are attracted to each other. The panellist is also related to the local gentry as his uncle is a Lord. The film follows the two as they try to get elected and their aides try to separate them because of their attraction.

Saloon Bar The people who visit a pub try to save one of their own from the hangman's noose which he is due to face the next day when evidence comes up that might save his life.

Cuckoo Patrol This film stars the members of the group Freddie and The Dreamers as scouts who are not really competent.as they try and reach a parade after they get lost. Worth seeing just to confirm how bad it really is.

Cairo Road Anti-narcotics action in Egypt in 1950. Drugs are coming in three different ways as the cops scramble to stop them after they find a murder victim tied to the illegal trade.

The Headless Ghost After three students hide away in a supposedly haunted castle they find out that there are ghosts and one of them will not let them leave until they help him reunite his head and his body. But one of the ghosts does not want them to succeed.

Your Money or Your Wife A married couple discover that they can only get their hands on the money that will sustain them if they divorce. A comedy but not a very good one 

Lost Girl season 3 Hale is the temporary Ash and is stopped from becoming the Ash by the Morrigan. With Hale's elevation, Dyson has a new partner Tamsin who is a Valkyrie and is Dark Fae. Someone is after Bo and you keep hearing The Wanderer by Dion. Lauren finds her past catching up with her and gets a new job offer. The series is still not that involving.

Conflict of Wings The locals and the RAF clash over setting up a target range on a bird's island.

The Running Man This is the 1963 version with Laurence Harvey as a pilot who fakes his own death to claim insurance money with his wife Lee Remick. However they begin to feel that an insurance agent is pursuing them.

What We Do In The Shadows As the BBC are showing the TV series they also screened the film. Vampires living in New Zealand invite a documentary crew to film them. This is very silly indeed.

The Cassandra Crossing After three terrorists raid the US mission of the World Health Organisation in Geneva one escapes aboard a train towards Stockholm. However he is infected with plague. So the US tries to stop anyone leaving the train without alerting them to the danger they are facing. This has an all star cast with Richard Harris, Sophia Loren, Martin Sheen, Ava Gardner and Burt Lancaster.

The Reckoning This is a 1970 film about a salesman going to Liverpool after his father falls ill. But his father has died after being acted in a pub. While the salesman's marriage is on rocky grounds and his immediate boss is incompetent. The film deals with how he decides to deal with all this. 

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

What We Do In The Shadows As the BBC are showing the TV series they also screened the film. Vampires living in New Zealand invite a documentary crew to film them. This is very silly indeed. 

I like the series even more than the movie. 

Just finished Season 3 of The Last Kingdom on Netflix (by way of the BBC).  Based on the painstakingly-researched books by Bernard Cornwell, this series focuses on the travails of Uhtred Ragnarsson, a warrior in 9th century England before England was England.  Outstanding production, performances, and characterization set this series apart as it explores questions of religion, identity, and loyalty in a time when Christians and Danes vie for control, often slaughtering one another in the process.  I rarely make time for TV, but I made time for this.

Season 4 is filming now.

edit: GOT fans should be warned that Cornwell has not yet released the 12th book in the series.  Each season of the show seems to span two books, so the 4th season will likely cover books 7 and 8.  I haven't read any of them so I wouldn't know how true the show is to the books.

8 hours ago, Old Man said:

Just finished Season 3 of The Last Kingdom on Netflix (by way of the BBC).  Based on the painstakingly-researched books by Bernard Cornwell, this series focuses on the travails of Uhtred Ragnarsson, a warrior in 9th century England before England was England.  Outstanding production, performances, and characterization set this series apart as it explores questions of religion, identity, and loyalty in a time when Christians and Danes vie for control, often slaughtering one another in the process.  I rarely make time for TV, but I made time for this.

Season 4 is filming now.

edit: GOT fans should be warned that Cornwell has not yet released the 12th book in the series.  Each season of the show seems to span two books, so the 4th season will likely cover books 7 and 8.  I haven't read any of them so I wouldn't know how true the show is to the books.

I second and third this.  Excellent show.

Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries: Three series of murder mysteries set in late 1920s Melbourne, Australia. I found them to be a lot of fun. (Netflix)

Bringing Up Baby: Screwball comedy with Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, and a leopard. Classic. (DVD)

Legends of Tomorrow (Season 4): This season added John Constantine to the team, as they hunt magical creatures through time. The show doesn't take itself seriously, which is part of its charm. (Netflix)

Bad Boys Finally got to see the whole film. Previously missed it being on or it recorded only the first hour. I liked it but the swearing was off the chart. Did not realise it was Tea Leoni who was the witness they are protecting

The Cracksman This is a Charlie Drake comedy from the 60s as he portrays a locksmith who is conned into three jobs by the same conman and is jailed for the latter two. He manages to evade getting caught escaping and then the same conman manages to get two underworld heavyweights interested in getting him to knock off a museum which is holding a gem exhibit.

Everybody Wants Some ! This is about college baseball players meeting up before term starts in 1980. It is directed by Richard Linklater. I enjoyed this as the music brought up a wave of nostalgia.

The Cotton Club This is a film that lost money back in 1984. It had Nicholas Cage, Bob Hoskins, Gregory Hines, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Tom Waits and Richard Gere. It looked good but the plot was not involving.

The Nice Guys Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe in a private detective story set in 1970s Los Angeles. If you have not seen this, add it to your queue as it is fun. Crowe plays the heavy and Gosling plays a wimp who does know his job.

Fear in the Night This is a psychological horror film with Judy Geeson recently married, attacked in her home before moving to new quarters with her husband. The attacker has a prosthetic arm. However there is no evidence of an attack when she is found. Her new husband is a teacher in a school where the headmaster (Peter Cushing) has a prosthetic arm.... Headmaster's wife is played by Joan Collins. This was good.

The Blind Spot This film is a remake of a 1950 film called Blackout which I saw recently and have remarked on some pages back. It is basically the same film with some cosmetic changes. Worth a look for an early Michael Caine performance.

The Booby Trap A professor leaves a pen in a suitcase in a taxi. However he has just demonstrated the use of said pen as a bomb set off by remote control. He then struggles to find the case and the pen which has been found and sold by local criminals.

The Woman Eater A professor witnesses natives in South America feeding women to a tree which then gives them an elixir which can bring the dead back to life. Returning to England he tries to recreate what he saw but missing women mean the police get involved.

Danger Tomorrow A woman seems to see a murder happening in the new house she has moved into with her doctor husband. She also says she heard on the news about a plane crash and the Queen Mother visiting a hospital. This happens the next day. The murder seems to be by a man called Bob which is her husband's name......

Home At Seven A Bank Clerk returns home to find his wife deeply upset. He has been missing for 24 hours despite the fact that he claims he has no memory of the missing time. Then money from his club is found to be missing and he is identified as being one of the last people who had access to it. This is the only film that Ralph Richardson ever directed.

Band of Thieves Acker Bilk and his band learn music in jail and after release form a band and begin looting places between gigs. A paper thin plot with music interludes for the jazz to be played. You watch for the music nothing else. 

Safety Not Guaranteed: A couple of interns and a reporter for a magazine investigate a classified ad asking for someone to time-travel with them. Odd, but interesting. (DVD)

Skyscraper: I made it through about 40 minutes of this Dwayne Johnson film, before giving up. I've added The Towering Inferno to my Netflix Blu-ray queue instead. (DVD)

Cinderella: Disney's take on the Charles Perrault version of the fairy tale, which shows the importance of accessorizing when trying to meet a prince. (Blu-ray)

Sleeping Beauty: Disney's take on the Charles Perrault version of the fairy tale, which shows how your entire day can be ruined by a little prick. (Netflix Blu-ray)