What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Yesterday, it was "The Muppet Movie", and then "Starship Troopers" a few hours later, after finding out that the PS2 video game, "Kingdom Hearts" triggers extreme motion sickness in me*. Today, it was "Big Trouble In Little China", after playing several hours of "Age of Empires III: the War Chiefs".

JoeG

*My new monitor is a 24" beastie with TV inputs. So some of the motion sickness is my own fault, since I'm sitting less than 3 feet from it. 1920x1200 is incredible, though.

Watched an episode of Planet Earth last night. Visually the series of just beautiful.

Which one ? I have them all.

Saw the last episode of Heroes' date=' season one, today. Could've ended stronger, but on the whole, an excellent series![/quote']

I enjoyed it. Have not seen any of season 2 yet.

Saw Kosheen on Later With Jools Holland doing Hide You and Catch and Catatonia on TOTP2 doing Mulder and Scully.

Recently picked up the Appleseed Ex Machina DVD. Beautiful CGI job and a good story. Of course if you are an Appleseed purist you may not like the liberties that they take with the character's behavior and such.

Over the weekend we watched Amazing Grace. A really good historical story about William Wilberforce and his struggle to abolish slavery in the British Empire. If you are a history buff like I am this is a must see picture.

I watched all three episodes Tin Man yesterday. Meh. However, Zooey Deschanel is way too cute for words. The woman who played the evil sorceress was very attractive as well, and well endowed. As a result, I especially liked the way she cast the "summon flying monkeys" spell.

I picked up Airplane! and Reservior Dogs yesterday. Haven't gotten to Dogs, but I did watch the "long haul" version of Airplane! which occasionally stopped in places for interviews and deleted scenes. Tthe directors were right -- the deleteced scenes really weren't funny, but the interviews were quite good and informative (especially for a few mistakes that appear in the movie because they were missed until it was too late). One of the greatest comedies ever made.

Watched the first episode of EXO Squad last night on Hulu. Damn I miss shows like that, I'd forgotten how great and, well, suprisingly adult that cartoon was. Just a 90s version of Robotech, which is a high compliment in my eyes.

Though the animation could have been handled a bit better.

Josh and I started to watch Hell's Angels, but the soap opera-y start threw us both off. There are boring people we don't care about fighting boring duels, and suddenly, war is declared! That's the first time we've returned a movie without watching it all the way through.

Then we watched Sunshine, which Josh found really irritating about two-thirds of the way through. I suppose I can see his point, and it contained a lot of the things that I find frustrating about space movies, but I thought the thing that annoyed him was meant to illustrate a point, and to be somewhat allegorical.

But then, I was also convinced that Dave was dead at the end of 2001 until I saw the sequel, so clearly, it's just not my genre.

I just finished a semi-marathon of Jericho from the CBS website. While I didn't get a chance to catch it on the original air dates, I found the show very interesting. Post-apoc without being hopeless and done well enough for me to be captivated by it. Whudda thunk it.

I do have some nitpicks, but I have those with almost any TV show. For the most part, I have to say that it is up there with Dexter in terms of must watch TV.

The Running Man, with a documentary on the same disc entitled, Lockdown on Main Street. It's about the increase of surveillance on the average person, the loss of due process, and the PATRIOT Act. Oddly, it highlighted points in the movie where the filmmakers didn't go far enough in showing their totalitarian "Cadre".

While it's only possible to travel with permission (and a travel card), Ben Richards is able to book passage for him and and Amber Mendez using only her ID, and is able to confuse the security agent at the security checkpoint into allowing them to pass without checking both of their travel cards.

Another interesting observation was a change in my personal attitude about surveillance. There's a shot of a small plaza, with a wall as background. It's shown multiple times, but it was only after seeing it about 3 or 4 times did I notice the large security camera in an external housing mounted to the wall in the exact center of the frame. Unfortunately, 20 years after the movie's release, cameras are so common, that we've basically been trained to ignore them.

JoeG

I liked sunshine.

I recently watched an episode of "the Big bang theory", which is a sitcom. I don't normally like sitcoms, and this one had a lot of the features that bug me about that medium, but the jokes were nerd jokes, and that made it kinda funny.

I went to see 10,000 BC in the theatre last night. Having a protective magician to paper over the implausibility of the hero's successes was a nice touch. So I guess now that they've met the Egyptian Atlantean, the others would be the South American, and the Chinese?

Josh and I have been watching the newest Robin Hood series. We're five episodes in, and it's obvious the point is to draw a political parallel between 1192 and 2008. The evil Sheriff even mentions a "war on terror." Interesting concept, though.

We also watched Once, which is a modernized take on the musical concept. No kicky dance numbers. Also rather dull, though. The music was pretty decent, but the editing and film quality made me think all of this was just being documented by some unseen friend, for posterity.

I just finished a semi-marathon of Jericho from the CBS website. While I didn't get a chance to catch it on the original air dates, I found the show very interesting. Post-apoc without being hopeless and done well enough for me to be captivated by it. Whudda thunk it.

I do have some nitpicks, but I have those with almost any TV show. For the most part, I have to say that it is up there with Dexter in terms of must watch TV.

Yeah, I found myself really liking Jericho, too. Good show. One of the better post apoc dramas I've seen. Well thought out.

Other than the odd Jericho marathon, I've recently (finally) seen the movie version of Les Mis with Liam Neeson as Val Jean (Epic and highly recommended, very well acted), and watched The Wind That Shakes the Barley on the 92nd anniversary of the Easter Uprising. Brutal Movie. Very, very well done. Want to understand WHY a "terrorist" fights the way he does? This is the life and times of an IRA member from 1920 to his untimely death. Like Goodfellas, it follows realistic pacing rather than dramatic, so just like real life there is a lot of unexpected peaks and valleys. No dramatic build to a climax here. damn good movie. Bought it without watching it, and don't regret the purchase.

DOA

Watched this on the suggestion of Bill Keyes.

Some deeply stupid moments, plot so over-used it might end up as a convention game, and very entertaining when approached in the right frame of mind. Gorgeous girls, skimpy outfits, fair fight choreography, nice sets, and did I mention the girls? :)

Worth renting for a night of B martial arts films, or watching while exercising.

The making of documentary was as much or more fun than the movie. Always interesting to be reminded just how much work and training goes into taking actors and actresses and turning them into convincing fighters.