In other news...

tkdguy

1 hour ago, DasBroot said:

He's going to 1800 feet.

1800 feet.

Any money on him coming back and saying  'Yep, earth sure looks flat from here.  Flat earth confirmed!'

Which will be publicity for his campaign.

Also his statement that rocketry is just 'formulas and stuff', not 'science' is amazing.

I find this Flat Earth Theory fascinating in a insane kind of way:
Sun. Moon. All the planets in the Solar System: All are round. Just hte earth somehow is flat. And there is a conspiracy to keep that a secret for...what reason exactly?

50 minutes ago, Christopher said:

And there is a conspiracy to keep that a secret for...what reason exactly?

Because the flat Earth is biblical, and Satan hates you.

OK, there are probably flat Earthers that aren't religious believers (not just not Christians), but that's out on an even further limb of crazy.

1 hour ago, Christopher said:

I find this Flat Earth Theory fascinating in a insane kind of way:
Sun. Moon. All the planets in the Solar System: All are round. Just hte earth somehow is flat. And there is a conspiracy to keep that a secret for...what reason exactly?

Because the followers of person(s) who popularised it (Washington Irving) want to keep it a secret. They want to keep the "flat earth theory" as a bludgeon against religion. 

Only that no informed person during the Greek-Hellenistic-Roman-Midieval eras ever believe the nonsense. 

That is the conspiracy, that is the secret. Now you know. 

15 hours ago, assault said:

Because the flat Earth is biblical, and Satan hates you.

OK, there are probably flat Earthers that aren't religious believers (not just not Christians), but that's out on an even further limb of crazy.

With Flat Earthers, I'm inclined to think that they've hit on their cause because it's crazy. That is, it used to be that you could get a rise out of people by being a creationist, but when everyone started bending over backwards to accommodate you, well, it just seemed unsatisfying. Then there was Moon landing denial, but when Buzz clocked that guy, you realised that you were hanging out with jerks and losers. (Same with 9/11 deniers.) I mean, those guys just didn't have the guts to embrace the crazy in a satisfying way. So, Flat Earth it is! Now you're the wackiest guy on the block for sure. . . 

. . So expect Moon Denial to be next.

8 hours ago, Starlord said:

Accepting parts of the old testament as literal has always been problematic at best, for me.  There has always been self-righteousness, ignorance, hypocrisy and 'doing evil in the name of....'

Faith is a choice.

Genesis carries two self-contradictory accounts of the creation of Humanity -- the founding of the species in the first chapter ("Male and female he created them"), and the explanation of "why are humans evil?" in the second and onward. Neither is scientifically literal. There are a lot of things in Genesis that make no sense as literal statements, but are perfectly sensible if taken in the sense of "everything that is is the result of the actions of a single, superior being we call God, and He views the Universe as essentially sacred and good. We have been placed as stewards of that universe, and given the task of taking care of that sacred, good creation."

The main point of the Adam and Eve story seems to be not so much that God created two perfect beings and expected them to populate the earth from just their genetic base (which is absurd), but "Humans were basically good, but have free will and as such are capable of making bad choices. They need the ability to make bad choices, but sometimes those choices are VERY bad and lead to unbearable consequences." There are questions about that account (did Cain feel remorse?), but it is interesting that rather than strike him down God chose to make Cain live with the consequences of having killed his brother.

5 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

There are questions about that account (did Cain feel remorse?), but it is interesting that rather than strike him down God chose to make Cain live with the consequences of having killed his brother.

Given that God hung a big warning sign on Cain and put the word out that he was under protection and any injury to him would meet massive retaliation, the question to me is "Why would anyone think God wasn't completely pleased with Cain's act? He's rewarding it."

I wish I had a Deity looking out for me and promising sevenfold retribution to anyone acting against me. But I'm not about to go kill someone for it.

Lucius Alexander

Anyone injuring me risks the wrath of the palindromedaries, but that's not nearly as intimidating......

On 11/21/2017 at 2:34 PM, DasBroot said:

He's going to 1800 feet.

1800 feet.

Any money on him coming back and saying  'Yep, earth sure looks flat from here.  Flat earth confirmed!'

Which will be publicity for his campaign.

Also his statement that rocketry is just 'formulas and stuff', not 'science' is amazing.

A cessna private aircraft has a ceiling of 13,500 feet. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_172

good god these people are true idiots. foir a fraction of what he spent on this suicide ride he could have chartered a cessna and gone like 7x higher.

1800 feet?! I can get higher than that by standing next to my neighbor's window in summer and inhaling...:snicker:

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:48 PM, Lucius said:

Given that God hung a big warning sign on Cain and put the word out that he was under protection and any injury to him would meet massive retaliation, the question to me is "Why would anyone think God wasn't completely pleased with Cain's act? He's rewarding it."

I wish I had a Deity looking out for me and promising sevenfold retribution to anyone acting against me. But I'm not about to go kill someone for it.

Lucius Alexander

Anyone injuring me risks the wrath of the palindromedaries, but that's not nearly as intimidating......

I think he placed the mark and curse on Cain, because Cain was afraid of having vengeance rained down on himself.   But, I'd have to check on the details, to be fair.

Note: though that would imply more people in the world than the decendants of Adam, but anyhow

Edit: Well, I am pretty sure Cain's punishment was to be cast out of his homeland to become a wanderer.  Exiled, essentially

27 minutes ago, Badger said:

I think he placed the mark and curse on Cain, because Cain was afraid of having vengeance rained down on himself.   But, I'd have to check on the details, to be fair.

Note: though that would imply more people in the world than the decendants of Adam, but anyhow

Edit: Well, I am pretty sure Cain's punishment was to be cast out of his homeland to become a wanderer.  Exiled, essentially

Some myths claim Caine was doomed to be separate from people forever and as people spread over the earth he was forced to go to the moon to keep away from people, so "the man in the moon" was Caine.