In other news...

tkdguy

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

Ah ! Only ever heard of it. Never seen it.

First of all, you are dead to me.

Second, I am reminded of a not too recent event. I used to do a lecture on commedia dell'arte in which I referred to Gilligan's Island characters as examples of stock characters. The last time I gave that talk was as a guest speaker at a university. Not a single student knew what I was talking about. I had to rewrite that lecture with Simpsons/Futurama characters. I felt so old, and I wasn't even 40 yet!

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

Second, I am reminded of a not too recent event. I used to do a lecture on commedia dell'arte in which I referred to Gilligan's Island characters as examples of stock characters. 

Feel like writing some commedia dell'arte-based Fantasy Hero characters? (Not Gilligan's Island based, unless you really must.)

An example of putting them together into a scenario would be cool too.

Personally I'd struggle with anything more complicated than Punch and Judy - which might be a worthwhile project in its own right.

Gilligan's Island probably got dropped from frequent syndication not long after the last made-for-TV movie...which wikipedia says was 1982.  The original shows...ended in 1967.  Apparently it was on TBS from 90 to 03, but that's pretty much equivalent to being buried.  Especially if it was daytime.

How many people under 40 have seen more than, say, 10 M*A*S*H episodes?  How about Gunsmoke...and I'll back that up to 60?  I seriously doubt I saw 10 Gunsmoke episodes.

How many people under 40 would give you a blank stare if you asked what famous characters were played by James Doohan and Deforrest Kelley?  Shatner and McCoy...yeah, probably get those.  Possibly George Takei.

We're inundated with so much "entertainment" that we can't track what's out *now*.  Much less go back.  And even then, the cheap channels that do replay this kind of stuff, have SO MUCH to pick from.  

So I'm not suprised people get the referents...but never saw the show.

24 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

How many people under 40 have seen more than, say, 10 M*A*S*H episodes?

Both of my daughters (ages 26 and 29).  They also have seen most episodes of Night Court, Danger Mouse, Red Dwarf, and Schoolhouse Rock.  Though to be fair, they've commented that when they've quoted or made references to most of those shows to their classmates in the past, they've mainly gotten blank stares.

1 hour ago, assault said:

Feel like writing some commedia dell'arte-based Fantasy Hero characters? (Not Gilligan's Island based, unless you really must.)

An example of putting them together into a scenario would be cool too.

Bob Greenwade had a great set of supervillains (the Castoffs) based on the characters from Gilligan's Island.  I appropriated them for a solo battle with one of my players' superheroes years ago.  It wasn't until Professor Makeshift pulled out the coconut cannon that the player finally figured out who they were.  (It turned out to be a dream sequence, after the hero fell asleep with the TV on.)  It was a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Gilligan's Island probably got dropped from frequent syndication not long after the last made-for-TV movie...which wikipedia says was 1982.  The original shows...ended in 1967.  Apparently it was on TBS from 90 to 03, but that's pretty much equivalent to being buried.  Especially if it was daytime.

How many people under 40 have seen more than, say, 10 M*A*S*H episodes?  How about Gunsmoke...and I'll back that up to 60?  I seriously doubt I saw 10 Gunsmoke episodes.

How many people under 40 would give you a blank stare if you asked what famous characters were played by James Doohan and Deforrest Kelley?  Shatner and McCoy...yeah, probably get those.  Possibly George Takei.

We're inundated with so much "entertainment" that we can't track what's out *now*.  Much less go back.  And even then, the cheap channels that do replay this kind of stuff, have SO MUCH to pick from.  

I don't know if Gilligan's Island was ever shown in Britain.

I know the Captain was Casey Jones and I did see that.

M*A*S*H was screened over here and I saw most episodes

Gunsmoke has ben screened by one of the channels and that's where I saw it. I do not get Miss Kitty at all. just not attractive in any episode black and white or colour.

As for Pariah's comment I am not that up on Get Smart but Columbo gets regular repeats.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

They're all still out there on various channels. Gilligan's Island runs for 2 hours on MeTV stations on Sundays. M*A*S*H and Gunsmoke run at various times on TV Land. 

That said, most of the younger co-workers that I've had didn't watch a lot of live TV, and certainly wouldn't seek most of these shows out. MeTV's target demographic is the "Boomer Consumer", which they list as ages 35-64, which is roughly the last group to grow up with limited TV channel options.