Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, zslane said:

Yes, indeed. You did a much better job at articulating the crux of this than I could. My general point about Marvel feeling the pressure still stands.

One wonders if Kevin Feige will let fan pressure dictate his production slate ever again though, particularly when it conflicts with his (or his boss's) business instincts.

1 hour ago, Greywind said:

It should have been made and released in the timeframe it was intended for.

I'm quite convinced that if Marvel had made and released a Black Widow movie shortly after Civil War, it would have made truckloads of loot. Fans were craving to know what would happen next, and Natasha's profile had never been higher. Feige has danced around the production and release schedule for these movies before. I respect him tremendously, but he's shown himself fallible before, and IMHO he missed a sure bet with this one.

I also believe it hurt the BW film that its primary antagonist, this interpretation of Taskmaster, was essentially a less-interesting Winter Soldier. She didn't have the history of Bucky Barnes, so the "mystery" and "drama" around her reveal fell flat. Comic-book Taskmaster is so much cooler than this IMHO.

If Marvel made a Black Widow film after Civil War it would totally have been a different film (script/director/production) than the one we got. Would it still have made money? Sure, every Marvel film has been successful, so there is every reason to believe that this hypothetical film would be to. 

The biggest and possibly only reason was that Marvel Studios was committed to its extensive Phase Three plans. And no doubt the schedule could have been adjusted for the fourth time or fifth time to accomodate it. 

The list of upcoming films for Marvel is kind of underwhelming, now that they've killed or retired everyone major.  Fantastic Four in the future maybe but... I mean I liked the Shang Chi comic (mostly for the wonderful artwork) but its not a real compelling bunch of characters for the most part.

4 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

What? I got matinee price for 5 Sears about $46. In a theater with reclining seats! Still my daughter (17 yes) wanted to se this movie when it was first advertised-with me. So really, priceless. 😁 

your theater is high priced. me and the boy went in the first show, paid 20 bucks

CES  

15 hours ago, Spence said:

Or refuses to pay $35+ dollars for one movie. 

That also might be part of it. Even though theoretically you could watch the movie over and over, you can wait and get the DVD for less and watch that over and over too

I am not convinced that streaming helped the movie make money, but instead hurt it.

CES

I'm going to wait for Snake Eyes but will probably see Shang-Chi.

I do wish they had the Fu Manchu rights and that the Chinese government had less control over the overseas market because the 70's Gulacy run of the character was a classic and definitely the best version of the character.

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

Anyone planning on seeing the Shang Eyes, I mean Snake Chi movies? looks like first one out this weekend.

Depends.   Snake Eyes is $19.99 on Amazon Prime while Shang-Chi is on Disney+ and will run you $37+. 

I don't know if I really want to see either, but I unsubscribed from Disney a while ago when the quality tanked. 

Of course the number of movies and shows coming out that are watchable has nose-dived in the last few years. 

Of course the number of movies and shows coming out that are watchable has nose-dived in the last few years. 

Yeah, the overall quality of movies and TV has been abysmal for years now.  You can literally pick any year at random from 1930-2000 and get more great films than the last decade.

47 minutes ago, Spence said:

Depends.   Snake Eyes is $19.99 on Amazon Prime while Shang-Chi is on Disney+ and will run you $37+. 

I don't know if I really want to see either, but I unsubscribed from Disney a while ago when the quality tanked. 

I'm still on my initial subscription for Disney+, which worked out to $4 per month for 3 years. I'm still finding stuff that I enjoy on the service, but I've always been a big Disney/Pixar/Star Wars fan. I can also wait for films like Black Widow and Shang-Chi to hit the regular part of the streaming service, which should be about 3 months after release.

1 hour ago, Grailknight said:

I'm going to wait for Snake Eyes but will probably see Shang-Chi.

I do wish they had the Fu Manchu rights and that the Chinese government had less control over the overseas market because the 70's Gulacy run of the character was a classic and definitely the best version of the character.

Fu Manchu isn't really necessary from an in-universe perspective. Marvel has characters who could easily fill in for him. I would have favored the Yellow Claw, who was already very close to Fu Manchu. Substituting him for Fu would allow Shang-Chi's back story to remain mostly the same. But this cinematic interpretation of the Mandarin could work as well, particularly with the apparent redefinition of the Ten Rings.

50 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

I'm still on my initial subscription for Disney+, which worked out to $4 per month for 3 years. I'm still finding stuff that I enjoy on the service, but I've always been a big Disney/Pixar/Star Wars fan. I can also wait for films like Black Widow and Shang-Chi to hit the regular part of the streaming service, which should be about 3 months after release.

Fair enough

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah, the overall quality of movies and TV has been abysmal for years now.  You can literally pick any year at random from 1930-2000 and get more great films than the last decade.

Yep, most of my Movie/TV Show/Steaming Show has been older ones.  I am actually discovering really great programs from when I was in the Navy (1982 - 2004) that I never realized existed with many of them have a far far far greater quality and storyline.  Not to mention that the new shows tend to not be new, but just remake things that we already have without even a minor attempt to revitalize them.