Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A drunk god would likely have accidentally killed most of the room while trying to hold back.

I'm actually OK with what happened in that scene, because it was probably what he wanted to happen.

In general, though, it seems like they've forgotten that all Asgardians (even adopted runt Frost Giant ones) are superhumanly strong.

I'm sure it is all in an effort to make gods "relatable" to general audiences. It seems that television is still not regarded as the place for epic spectacle. Teevee is small, you see, and so too must the action be.

Agents of Shield tried to put the entire world in peril every season, but the show didn't have the budget to really do it right, and so everything seemed really small even though we were constantly told how huge the stakes were. And while Disney presumably gives these Disney+ shows bigger budgets and permits them to have whatever scope Feige wants, there seems to be an unspoken rule that says the shows can't be allowed to match (or eclipse) the scope and spectacle of the movies. In Disney's mind, teevee can never be allowed to compete with the movies. And it usually shows (no pun intended).

It is the same with Star Wars. The Mandalorian is just low- (okay, medium) budget side action; (mostly inconsequential) events in the margins of whatever epic struggle the movies intend to cover.

It just seems to me that Disney isn't maximizing the potential of the IP they are working with, and merely because it is the small screen that is the delivery device. For instance, I've seen season 1, chapter 4 of The Mandalorian done twice before; once when it was called The Seven Samurai and then again when it was re-skinned as The Magnificent Seven. But since this is teevee we're talking about, it had to be scaled down to The Rugged Two apparently. The grand cinematicism of Star Wars and the MCU is being reduced to "fit in the home", which I find disappointing.

WandaVision was similar in that it spent far too much time developing a single idea, primarily I suspect because that was much cheaper than producing 6 hours of story that had the scope and intensity of a trilogy of MCU Scarlet Witch movies. Which, IMO, should be the whole point of producing 6 (continuous) hours of anything that takes place in the MCU (or the Star Wars universe).

15 hours ago, Greywind said:

I'm waiting to hear how he spins the beating the Hulk gave him into a victory for himself.

Well, I can do that for you. Look at Loki's eyes from the Thor film and any film apart from the first Avengers film. Green, right? (Except in his blue-skinned, red-eyed, form of course.) That is his natural eye colour. 

Now look at his eye colour when he arrives on Midgard to take the tesseract. Bright blue. 

Who else has their eye colour changed from whatever it was before to a piercing blue? Anyone being controlled by the stone in his sceptre. When Hawkeye is under his command, mind controlled, he has bright blue eyes, unlike his usual steely grey eyes whenever Jeremy Renner played him in the rest of the MCU. 

Loki isn't invading midgard because he was hoping to conquer it. Asgard has always been the only place he cared about, except for his targeting of Jotunheim simply to win his father's approval in Thor 1. Loki is here to attack Midgard as a cover for him first grabbing the Tesseract (and therefore an infinity stone) then also attacking New York (which is, canonically, where the Sorcerer Supreme is, at that exact moment) to get hold of the Eye Of Agamotto and therefore another Infinity Stone, since Earth has the rare distinction of holding two of the infinity stones at the time. Well worth Thanos risking his own infinity stone, carried by a mind-controlled god, to bring him back two more. 

You can even see how badly hurt Loki had been, just before he was mind-controlled and sent to Midgard to capture infinity stones, much more so than after Hulk's beatdown. He'd been tortured, for a long time, whether for information or simply to make sure that the mind control would take effect. 

How does this make losing a fight to the Hulk into a victory for Loki? Well, much like Dr Selvig managed to resist mind control just enough to include an off-switch for his portal, Loki managed to resist his own mind control enough to pick a fight with the Hulk and then opt to monologue instead of being ready for an actual fight. Which, much like Black Widow's punch to Hawkeye's head to "recalibrate" his brain, was able to reset Loki's mind to free it from the mind control. You may notice that his eyes, after the beatdown, are back to their normal emerald green, instead of the bright blue of the mind control effects. He also suddenly changes from Shakespearean villain monologues, that we know are not his usual mode of speech, to the casual quipster that we are more familiar with.

"I'll take that drink, now."

5 hours ago, Bazza said:

One week to BW. 

Isn't it more like 3 or 4 months?  I know I will not be paying an additional $29.99 (or $31.99) just to stream it. 

I'll be waiting for the regular streaming release at a less insane price.