Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, archer said:

Nobody who's a fan of the MCU is clamoring for a Hawkeye movie because the MCU version of Hawkeye sucked on several different levels.

I disagree with that. I've always loved Renner, and I thought MCU Hawkeye was the heart of the team.

Screen-Shot-2016-12-10-at-12.47.33-PM-10

Scarlett was tapped to be part of the Tower of Terror movie with Disney, but that won't happen now. The worst thing you can do (for your career) in Hollywood is become litigious. This will end her relationship with Disney full stop. And other studios will be very cautious to work with her, afraid that they might get sued if she doesn't like something.

She should have saved this fight for the next SAG contract negotiation, and used her clout to assist the entire union, rather than making herself persona non grata in Hollywood.

Some of today’s news. 
https://deadline.com/tag/black-widow/

https://deadline.com/2021/07/black-widow-scarlett-johansson-lawsuit-disney-responds-1234806667/

from last week

https://archive.ph/3rzHS

Not all is Happy in the house of mouse. Articles in the trades are information war. Business Insider articles from Hollywood, are aimed at shareholders who don’t care about Hollywood politics. Articles in the Hollywood trades are aimed at studio executives. 

So the guys who made the most money off this are the guys who decided to boost the streaming service over their theatrical release. Then they released Johanssen's pay for one movie to the press when Iger got paid almost all of that in options, with a yearly salary that matches Johanssen's pay for that one movie. But they can't honor royalty contracts like Foster's (he wasn't the only one. There was a group that went after Disney over that), or obligations they signed. 

That seems a touch greedy to me.

CES     

On 7/29/2021 at 1:31 PM, Greywind said:

They have option for Iron Man. Either Harlan from IM3 or an Ironheart. They could even do a Pepper Potts movie with her armor.

That last wouldn't be a good idea considering how over the MCU Gwyneth Paltrow is. She's forgotten being in some of the movies, and that she'd already met her costars from them.

1 hour ago, csyphrett said:

So the guys who made the most money off this are the guys who decided to boost the streaming service over their theatrical release. Then they released Johanssen's pay for one movie to the press when Iger got paid almost all of that in options, with a yearly salary that matches Johanssen's pay for that one movie. But they can't honor royalty contracts like Foster's (he wasn't the only one. There was a group that went after Disney over that), or obligations they signed. 

That seems a touch greedy to me.

CES     

"The company's in trouble, and the only way it will survive is if we keep all the money. That way we can even afford the awesome bonus I'm going to get for thinking up this plan!"

27 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

That last wouldn't be a good idea considering how over the MCU Gwyneth Paltrow is. She's forgotten being in some of the movies, and that she'd already met her costars from them.

17 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

That has less to do with her not liking the movies so much as being a colossal airhead

I understand that RDj had to practically beg her to stay with the role after the first movie.

20 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Except Disney’s statement at the close of business today, castigated Johansson for dismissing the COVID-19 threat, and the necessary precautions, in that we are not out of the woods yet. The statement was uncharacteristically aggressive for Disney, and it looks like they are going to fight. It’s not like Disney has to play nice with the actress, now that her story is finished, and her contract is completed. 

Time out.

Disney is still the company that tried to dodge paying royalties on Star Wars properties by asserting that they bought the rights but not the liabilities, and thus the original royalty agreements were null.  They settled with Foster eventually, because I think their legal arguments were on par with Giuliani's.  They were trying to overturn very basic aspects of contract law that are simply complete non-starters.

Whether this would be characteristic for Disney as it existed 20 years ago, I don't know...but it is absolutely characteristic of their style now.  Whether this constitutes a breach of contract or simply is taking advantage of a loophole in it...that remains to be seen.  The Variety article closes with the observation that contracts moving forward will have to include language pertaining to streaming, not simply box office.  But for now, what this feels like is something you sometimes see in sports contracts.  A player might have incentive clauses for reaching certain milestones...the team, especially when they're out of the playoffs, might deliberately sit him so he misses them.  In baseball...a classic example was Kris Bryant with the Cubs.  He was called up to the major league roster 1 day AFTER the cutoff for gaining a full year of service time.  A player can become a free agent after 6 years...but if he's a day short of it at the end of year N, after year N+5 he's a day short of 6 years.  And thus, can't become a free agent in that offseason.  And you don't become a free agent during the season, so they effectively get a 7th year.  (Player control is a huge issue right now;  the trade deadline was this afternoon.  It's even called "rental players.")

So what I'm questioning is whether Disney is actually breaching...or simply taking advantage.  That said, the whole "it's call Covid's fault" is soooooo much BS that I hope they lose.

I understand that RDj had to practically beg her to stay with the role after the first movie.

Yeah he's loyal to his friends, and while she saw her role as being basically a secretary with only a few lines, he wanted her in billion-dollar productions.  But she's still even dumber than the usual actor by all accounts.

2 hours ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

"The company's in trouble, and the only way it will survive is if we keep all the money. That way we can even afford the awesome bonus I'm going to get for thinking up this plan!"

First part:  no probably not.  More accurate:  "so we can keep the stock price insanely high and keep the only people who matter to us happy."  The bonus to someone who does so follows, but it's incidental.

8 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I think she figured her time with Disney was pretty much up anyway

Hard to imagine that since she was working with Disney on a Tower of Terror movie. It's possible that project was dead and that fact had yet to ooze out into the trade press. But if not, then she sacrificed it on the altar over a fight she won't win.

Yep. Technology moves faster than society. After a new media format becomes profitable, it always takes a few contract renegotiation cycles before the unions (SAG, WGA, DGA) manage to get their fair share. Usually they have to threaten to strike to get any kind of concessions from the studios, which shows the necessity of the unions (though there's also a downside to unions for their rank and file members).