Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

35 minutes ago, Simon said:

Also Trump's response was...lacking.  He signed off on federal disaster aid, but only on the minimum, giving federal funds to cleanup municipal areas.  He did not sign off on giving disaster assistance to the actual people impacted.

I heard about it a few days ago from my contacts, but nothing on news.  I took a look at the satellites - the scar runs almost the length of the state from what I saw.

I pay pretty special attention to environmental and disaster events - I've had a running theory for the past ten-fifteen years (started based on New Orleans nearly disappearing off the map) that we are going to hit a pretty soon where states/the fed largely abandons locations hit by disasters.  Basically forcing people to fend for themselves and creating thousands (and eventually millions) of in-US refugees.

I hope people directly impacted by this get some sort of aid.  It's awful, and doesn't surprise me (except only in that it's happening now and not ten more years out).

I read this line from an article "Senator Cotton (R), an outspoken China hawk whose name has been floated as a potential 2024 presidential candidate...."

I know this years election hasn't yet passed but I admit this line makes me look forward to headlines in the 2024 campaign when the Senator tries to reach out to African-Americans.

"GOP Urges Black Voters to Pick Cotton"

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/27/becki-falwell-affair-liberty-university-student-band-jerry-402559

A very long article detailing how Becki Falwell groomed, initiated sex with, then stalked a Liberty University student in 2008-2009.

The story involves the Falwell's both drinking and allowing alcohol drinking at their house by students. That's forbidden to their particular sect of Christianity and specifically forbidden to Liberty University staff and students, if you're interested in that angle of the story.

The article notes that Politico has sat on this information since 2019 because the former student wasn't comfortable coming forward with the story until after the other Falwell scandals became public. Becki contacted the former student again for the first time in years on the day before Jerry, Jr. resigned as president of the university in what seems to me to be a transparent attempt to play on the former student's sympathies ensure his silence.

Guess that didn't work.

6 hours ago, Simon said:

Been wondering at the lack of news on the national scale.  It's all over the news locally -- 140mph winds registered in Cedar Rapids...essentially a Cat 4 hurricane (though to be fair, those wind speeds weren't sustained).

Our immediate area was only lightly hit by it -- no major damages -- but IA was hammered.

Also Trump's response was...lacking.  He signed off on federal disaster aid, but only on the minimum, giving federal funds to cleanup municipal areas.  He did not sign off on giving disaster assistance to the actual people impacted.

Did he throw you some paper towels at least?

Having watched both conventions( gods help me), neither one was that impressive. Both relied heavily on attacking the enemy as opposed to concrete plans as to the future of America. The RNC was essentially a Nazi rally. It made me sick to my stomach to be honest. Grandparents fought in WWII to prevent this kind of cancer from spreading and we appear to now be embracing it.

17 minutes ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Having watched both conventions( gods help me), neither one was that impressive. Both relied heavily on attacking the enemy as opposed to concrete plans as to the future of America. The RNC was a essentially a Nazi rally. It made me sick to my stomach to be honest. Grandparents fought in WWII to prevent this kind of cancer from spreading and we appear to now be embracing it.

A car is driving toward a cliff. The driver is yelling, "Full speed ahead". The passenger, who really wants to be the driver, is yelling, "Stop!" while he's thinking the car really needs a new carburetor, power steering, and should be painted green whenever he gets the chance.

:D 

9 hours ago, archer said:

https://www.keepamericagreat.com/

Trump announced that Keep America Great would be his re-election slogan before the formal launch of his campaign last year.

But the Biden/Harris campaign snagged the domain name.

I heard a suggestion that we should post links to this domain to every online community we visit, with comments that make it sound like we support Trump. The people who need to read this the most are sure to click on it.

New ABC News-Ipsos poll just released.

No convention bounce at all for Trump. 32% favorability among the general public the previous week. 31% after the convention.

The president’s favorability among Republicans dropped 4 percentage points since last week. 

That's a big ouch to the Trumpsters.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/news-polls/abc-republican-national-convention-2020

I really hate "reaction" videos on YouTube, where someone just plays someone else's video then talks over it.. Just show me what the guy said, then give the commentary for crying out loud.

But yeah, Scott Adams is a turd.

Also, getting into Mensa doesn't make you "super smart."

Neither side has a complete lock on the religious crazies.

I remember back in the 1980's with my cousin trying to talk me into supporting Democrats because there was PROOF that Reagan is the Anti-Christ.

Ronald - six letters

Wilson - six letters

Reagan - six letters

So his name is "666" which is the Mark of the Beast and definitive proof that Reagan is the Anti-Christ!

Go out and tell all your friends, else a Reagan election will doom the world!

4 hours ago, archer said:

I remember back in the 1980's with my cousin trying to talk me into supporting Democrats because there was PROOF that Reagan is the Anti-Christ.

Ronald - six letters

Wilson - six letters

Reagan - six letters

So his name is "666" which is the Mark of the Beast and definitive proof that Reagan is the Anti-Christ!

Definitely not the Anti Christ, but not a particularly good president either....

6 hours ago, archer said:

Ronald - six letters

Wilson - six letters

Reagan - six letters

Ironically, there has been alternate interpretations that the actual number is 616.

23 minutes ago, archer said:

If you accept Reagan as the Anti-Christ, then after seven years, Christ Himself would have returned.

Who do you like better as The Christ: George H.W. Bush or Bill Clinton?

Cant see Hillary as Mary Magdalene, nor Barbara Bush really. Though, while I have some issues with the Bushes, I did find their wives likable.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/02/court-rules-nsa-phone-snooping-illegal-407727

The appeals court stopped just short of saying that the snooping was definitely unconstitutional, but rejected the Justice Department's arguments that collecting the metadata did not amount to a search under a 40-year-old legal precedent because customers voluntarily share such info with telephone providers...

The 9th Circuit panel essentially endorsed a 2015 ruling from the New York-based 2nd Circuit that found the mass surveillance was not sufficiently tied to any specific investigation, as Congress appeared to require.

11 hours ago, archer said:

If you accept Reagan as the Anti-Christ, then after seven years, Christ Himself would have returned.

Who do you like better as The Christ: George H.W. Bush or Bill Clinton?

I voted for both of them in sequential presidential elections. Make of that what you will. Clinton was one of the best fiscal conservatives that we ever had. As for the Anti-Christ/Christ moniker, I really don't subscribe to that brand of mythology.