Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

37 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

Wow. I really don't like McConnell but he killed it in his speech.

Cynically thinking, he can now claim that he took the moral high ground while supporting Trump to the very end of any legal options.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mitch-mcconnell-gave-an-extraordinary-speech-skewering-trump-s-efforts-to-overturn-the-election/ar-BB1cwGmm?li=BB141NW3

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

McConnell just said the election claims are 'conspiracy theories' and 'we cannot simply declare ourselves a board of election on steroids, if we overruled them we could damage our republic forever'.

Ethically speaking there's little to choose between McConnell and Trump. This was the final act of a fiction covering the real issue, the power struggle between them for control of the GOP. McConnell has clearly won that, at least for the foreseeable future.

3 minutes ago, megaplayboy said:

This is utterly shameful and every protester who stormed into the building should be facing serious charges for this.  And Trump should be completely finished for this in any political sense.

I said to my daughter, "I wonder how many of them will get arrested" and she scoffed, "None, they're white.  White people don't get arrested."

3 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

IMO there is now no doubt that Donald Trump is committing crimes by encouraging the protesters who are absolutely trespassing on Federal property.  Direct, serious crimes.

I was ambivalent about impeaching him before;  not now.

Hey, while Congress is meeting anyway...

Apparently shots have been fired inside the Capitol.

And it was pointed out that the entire complex will have to be searched once the protesters are cleared out...a freaking BOMB SWEEP.  There is no doubt it has to be done;  it's simply mind-boggling that it's possible.

A point about the comparison with the BLM...why is it that the Capitol Police were not more prepared for this?

2 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

So are we.  

These morons are reportedly pepper-spraying and punching police officers.  I'm frankly shocked that the protesters aren't getting tear gassed.  (And feel that such a response would be justified.)

If this was a BLM they would be. I find this disgraceful. My dad was USAF stationed at Andrews AFB in my childhood and I hate to say that I'm glad he's not around to see this. 

Just now, BoloOfEarth said:

So are we.  

These morons are reportedly pepper-spraying and punching police officers.  I'm frankly shocked that the protesters aren't getting tear gassed.  (And feel that such a response would be justified.)

If they're *inside* the Capitol, and the report is, there's more protesters by far than cops inside, the police have to get sufficiently reinforced first.

Fox News is talking to various Republicans.  Caught 2 so far;  right now it's the Senate Minority Leader.  He is not holding back at all..."it's un-American, it's unacceptable."  He also confirmed "shots fired."  About 10-15 minutes ago.  (It's 3:08 Eastern as I type.)  It was overheard by him on the Capitol Police radio.

16 minutes ago, Starlord said:

I assumed that was the point of the picture.

It's not that simple to me.  It's not just the race card here.

EDIT:  a FOX NEWS correspondent flat out said, "we have mob rule upending democracy here today."

EDIT2:  another one just said "this is the brink of anarchy."

24 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Fox News is talking to various Republicans.  Caught 2 so far;  right now it's the Senate Minority Leader.  He is not holding back at all..."it's un-American, it's unacceptable."  He also confirmed "shots fired."  About 10-15 minutes ago.  (It's 3:08 Eastern as I type.)  It was overheard by him on the Capitol Police radio.

It's not that simple to me.  It's not just the race card here.

EDIT:  a FOX NEWS correspondent flat out said, "we have mob rule upending democracy here today."

EDIT2:  another one just said "this is the brink of anarchy."

Normally I can't stand listening to Tucker Carlson, but I admit I'm curious as to how he'll address this event. I'm betting, condemn out of one side of his mouth, excuse and justify out the other.

I'm listening to Fox News for that reason.

NONE of them are doing anything but condemning this.

They're also reporting a serious counterswell calling on Trump to do more than just Tweet.  They're calling on him to tell them to Go Home.  Trump's chief of staff is telling him to do more.

From the sound of things, Trump has all but cut his own throat politically, if he doesn't call on this insurrection to STOP, very soon.  

A scary thought is, Trump might be hoping it gets worse so he can declare martial law.

EDIT:  Chris Jenkins was in the mob outside the Capitol.  Masks hide expressions a great deal, but man, he looks scared to me.  And those are the more peaceful protesters.

5 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Normally I can't stand listening to Tucker Carlson, but I admit I'm curious as to how he'll address this event. I'm betting, condemn out of one side of his mouth, excuse and justify out the other.

Given I blame him and his predecessors for creating this, I wouldn't be surprised.

Just now, unclevlad said:

A scary thought is, Trump might be hoping it gets worse so he can declare martial law.

Pretty much exactly.  The real question is what the military will do.  I don't make any guesses there.