Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

8 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Imagine if they used all that righteous indignation for good...

Hypocrisy indeed.

Imagine if they were forced to confront certain legal-but-crappy tactics?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/10/georgia-early-voting-long-lines

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/voter-suppression-novembers-looming-election-crisis/613408/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-locations/southern-u-s-states-have-closed-1200-polling-places-in-recent-years-rights-group-idUSKCN1VV09J

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/03/22/live-arizona-primary-coverage-presidential-preference-election/82096726/

My two picks:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethcohen/2020/06/22/kentucky-and-jim-crow-2-dot-0/

"On Tuesday, Kentucky will hold the a state-wide primary election that was delayed from its original date in May because of the pandemic. But voters seeking to cast ballots will need to look harder for a place to vote, as the state slashed the number of polling locations from 3,700 in a normal election year to less than 200 for this week’s primary election. The move particularly impacts Black voters, as Jefferson County, the county with the state’s largest Black population, will have only one polling station."

Jefferson County/Population
766,757 (2019)

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkdenn/the-us-eliminated-nearly-21000-election-day-polling-locations-for-2020

From the last:

What emerged was a patchwork of cuts large and small across the country. Many states made these cuts as they were expanding mail voting — 23 states made it easier to vote by mail this year because of COVID. But the overall trend is clear: Most states are eliminating polling locations, a trend that could disproportionately impact poor, young and non-white voters.

Of the 45 states that weren’t using mail voting exclusively before the 2020 election, 40 of them have decreased the number of Election Day voting locations from 2016. Of those 40 states who made cuts, 35 are not sending mail ballots to everyone, and 19 require many voters to take it upon themselves to apply for a mail ballot application. The five states that refused to allow mail voting for most people all cut voting sites, including the emerging swing state of Texas.

The net result of all of these changes: A 20% dip in polling places across the country from 2016, and a 22% drop since 2012. And while the coronavirus pandemic has accelerated this trend, it didn’t create it: There were more than 3,000 fewer polling locations in 2016 than  in 2012.

5 hours ago, Cygnia said:

U.S. now says no evidence of 'kill capture teams' at U.S. Capitol

"The comments by Acting U.S. Attorney Michael Sherwin appeared to be an effort to walk back claims federal prosecutors in Arizona had made in a court filing late on Thursday, in which they alleged there was evidence that rioters intended “to capture and assassinate elected officials.”

I didn't post up a new link because that's now the headline and contents of the link you posted a few hours ago.

Less than a week now, people....

Try to keep that in mind as you breathe in and out slowly.....

(yes I'm talking to myself)

EDIT:

Joe Biden can act more presidential in an afternoon, before he ever takes office, than DJT managed in 4 years.

(He's giving a speech right now about steps to improve the Covid-19 vaccination delivery.)

1 hour ago, archer said:

"The comments by Acting U.S. Attorney Michael Sherwin appeared to be an effort to walk back claims federal prosecutors in Arizona had made in a court filing late on Thursday, in which they alleged there was evidence that rioters intended “to capture and assassinate elected officials.”

I didn't post up a new link because that's now the headline and contents of the link you posted a few hours ago.

What is this guy thinking? As soon as Biden has his own AG confirmed, he's getting punted for not chasing things hard enough. He has to know that. But he is one of Barr's lapdogs, and Barr sucked

CES

2 hours ago, archer said:
8 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Both of these things can be true.  Per their own words, many of the rioters did want to kill officials, and if they had found any they would have likely captured them first.  That said, there doesn't have to be any evidence that they split into 'teams' to do this.  

3 minutes ago, Chris Goodwin said:

Both of these things can be true.  Per their own words, many of the rioters did want to kill officials, and if they had found any they would have likely captured them first.  That said, there doesn't have to be any evidence that they split into 'teams' to do this.  

Exactly.

Franklin Graham, a Southern Baptist preacher who is the son of the Reverend Billy Graham, compares the 10 Republicans who voted in favor of impeachment to Judas' betrayal of Jesus Christ.

(Note: I deliberately didn't use the title "Reverend" to describe Franklin Graham.)

https://www.newsweek.com/franklin-graham-compares-10-republicans-who-voted-impeach-trump-betrayal-christ-1561809

I must have missed the Bible verse where Jesus says "Let the little children come to me, for their parents entered the promised land illegally and I have many cages to house them all in squalor."  😇

21 hours ago, unclevlad said:

And a change of venue wouldn't help unless it was to another planet.

There's always North Sentinel Island.  🏹 🏹 🏹

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Lucky for them they might be going somewhere they won't have to see or hear women for years! 😆

29 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Is that the limit in decorum for what we can imply might happen to people who tried to overthrow the American government? I guess I assumed the general sentiment would be less merciful.

It probably depends a lot on which particular group of people are taking part in the discussion.

I took your comment as a joke rather than a sincere wish on your part that such things happen or your genuine views on how prisons should be run.

As for a theory on criminal justice: Personally, I think a judge should sentence a convicted criminal to the exact punishment which we as a society want him to get. And that he shouldn't get anything additional.

If we want someone to get bad food in prison, abuse from the guards, and rape from the other prisoners, we should sentence him to those things so that it's our choice as a society to give him that. And that such things not happen as a result of neglect or some people on the inside taking the law into their own hands.

47 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Is that the limit in decorum for what we can imply might happen to people who tried to overthrow the American government? I guess I assumed the general sentiment would be less merciful.

I feel as though hanging or firing squads are more appropriate penalties for treason.  Mileage may vary.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

It is a depraved act no matter who is being discussed. "Prison justice" is right down there with "frontier justice" and "mob justice".