Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

16 hours ago, DShomshak said:

THE TRUTH IS FINALLY OUT!!!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/09/technology/birds-arent-real-gen-z-misinformation.html

Sometimes you need to laugh. Because the only alternative is screaming, and once you start you might not be able to stop.

Dean Shomshak

CHINA LAUNCHES 'SPY BIRD' DRONE TO BOOST GOVERNMENT SURVEILLANCE

drone-surveillance-china-spy-bird.jpg

On a much less amusing note, the latest issue of Atlantic features a review article of the Republican Party's repudiation of democracy, from the flaming rage of its base to the development of, shall we say, novel and creative readings of the Constitution.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/01/january-6-insurrection-trump-coup-2024-election/620843/

As Gellman says, it has become clear that the Jan. 6 insurrection was just the dress rehearsal.

Dean Shomshak

From the article above:

It shook me that Patterson took this video for proof. If my house had caught fire 10 years before, my life might have depended on his discernment and clarity of thought. He was an Eagle Scout. He earned a college degree. He keeps current on the news. And yet he has wandered off from the empirical world, placing his faith in fantastic tales that lack any basis in fact or explicable logic.

People really need to learn that emotional hijacking* is a real, tangible phenomena, and that even otherwise intelligent people are ripe for manipulation of their lower-level thought processes.  Most people calm down and start reasoning even after a strong stimulus, but the social media, easy internet access, and smart phones make a constant, unhealthy level of negative stimulation possible.

Trump supporters, conspiracy theorists, etc. are not all idiots. This makes them all the more terrifying, IMO.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdala_hijack

Yep.

I think it's a stupid way to exercise this too.  Like shooting oneself in the foot to prove a point.  At this point?  They are only hurting their own constituents.

It's interesting that a few weeks ago I recall hearing the Supreme Court suddenly opinionating that the Texas Law was 'a flagrant run-around of their authority and something you can't just decide, legislatively, to do, by cleverly coding it into law'.  And then this decision happens.......

32 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Yep.

I think it's a stupid way to exercise this too.  Like shooting oneself in the foot to prove a point.  At this point?  They are only hurting their own constituents.

It's interesting that a few weeks ago I recall hearing the Supreme Court suddenly opinionating that the Texas Law was 'a flagrant run-around of their authority and something you can't just decide, legislatively, to do, by cleverly coding it into law'.  And then this decision happens.......

Believe that's a reasonable paraphrase of the minority opinion.  The problem is, Roberts, who wrote it, could NOT convince the 5 other conservatives.  

I think some of the reason why California's pushing this is to force the Supreme Court to recognize what allowing this to stand would do.  The 5 conservatives seem to be taking an "end justified the means" position...abortion should be banned, and it doesn't matter how.  Doesn't it????

21 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I think some of the reason why California's pushing this is to force the Supreme Court to recognize what allowing this to stand would do.  The 5 conservatives seem to be taking an "end justified the means" position...abortion should be banned, and it doesn't matter how.  Doesn't it????

I'm pretty sure their 'interpretation' of how a fertilized egg is alive would suggest that a sperm, too, is alive.  Not to mention that something like 33% of fertilized eggs don't stick to the uterus wall?  Which means about half as many humans again were 'naturally aborted'?  Then we can talk about the Bible suggesting medically-induced forced abortions for unfaithful wives... >_>

Okay, I've started enough fights now :D

26 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I'm pretty sure their 'interpretation' of how a fertilized egg is alive would suggest that a sperm, too, is alive.  Not to mention that something like 33% of fertilized eggs don't stick to the uterus wall?  Which means about half as many humans again were 'naturally aborted'?  Then we can talk about the Bible suggesting medically-induced forced abortions for unfaithful wives... >_>

Okay, I've started enough fights now :D

I was raised Catholic.

But I got better.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

I saw quite a few warnings when it was passed that this law could be interpreted in a number of situations against the desires of those who passed it.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

I have that suspicion as well. Object lesson being communicated.

20 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I have that suspicion as well. Object lesson being communicated.

"For ’tis the sport to have the engineer
Hoist with his own petard. And ’t shall go hard,
But I will delve one yard below their mines,
And blow them at the moon."

-Prince Hamlet, The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, Act 3 Scene 4