Funny Pics II: The Revenge

4 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

In a universe where a fighter-  a ship with a tiny cockpit and no refrigerator- is all you need to hop from one end to the other?  No; I dont really think it does make a difference.

In an even slightly logical setting, it might make a difference, but Star Wars has never had one of those.  

Ever notice that all the stuff pointed out as proof that star wars is good doesnt actually come from Lucas or his films?  Its the fanboys themselves, sinking the work into creating the justifications that it takes to make any sense out of it.

My favorite was how overjoyed the fans were when right before selling it, Lucas announced "its all canon.'  The fans were delighted, and I suspect its because to a person they held ob the backs of their mind 'cool; I can make it work the way I want and finally make sense out of it."

In terms of plot, internal logic, continuity, economics, physics, ... Star Wars bats a perfect oh-for-the-series.  Gross, glaring, inconsistent impossibilities fundamentally built into the foundational concept, and unconsidered screaming fallacies chainsaw-retconned into it unashamedly on top of each other.  I read the very first book from the very first movie, once.  I've read multiple generations of RPG rules for it (but only because one member of our gaming group is a fanboy addict and can't keep his d***ed hands off the junk, and we put up with him).  I can't touch the print-media stuff otherwise.  The whole lot of it is brain rot.

In terms of movies, the visual spectacle in the 1970s and 1980s ... unprecedentedly amazing.

I will admit also that the 3rd (in real-Earth appearance chronology) movie is our model for the multi-table RPG adventures our gaming group tries (in non-pandemic years) to assemble for a local gaming convention every year.  Nominally independent sequences of scenes/encounters, with personnel transfers and causal links from other tables both coming into and during each individual scene, and an overarching "plot" concept goal toward which they all converge at the end.   For a two-sessions-of-four-hours-each gaming convention event, it's an insanely great model, because we have no intention of building or maintaining any part of a game-world afterward, and because no matter which table you're at as a player you're contributing to the common victory.

On 1/25/2021 at 7:15 AM, Duke Bushido said:

The original written-by-the-creator (allegedly) series featured an empire of billions, wiped out and brought to a screeching halt when a bunch of teddy bears killed a hundred or so of them.

What are you talking about?  Ewoks are the most tactically advanced fighting force in Star Wars!

https://www.wired.com/story/ewoks-star-wars-tactics-endor-moon/

Doug

Also relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAOX_CHU0JY

33 minutes ago, dougmacd said:

What are you talking about?  Ewoks are the most tactically advanced fighting force in Star Wars!

Doug

Also relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAOX_CHU0JY

...And with the right barbecue sauce, damn tasty!

2 hours ago, dougmacd said:

Ewoks are the most tactically advanced fighting force in Star Wars!

Oh, I absolutely agree.  Not only agree, but that's pretty much _exactly_ what I was saying (and have been for years):  the teddy bears are the _only_ actual soldiers-- the only real military might-- in the entire Star Wars universe.  It's maddening.  Sure: everyone else has lots of technology and big ships and big guns-- and absolutely no idea how to use them intelligently:  "Okay, we've only got a thousand laser rifles, so make sure that we only give them to the guys with strabismus.   Furthermore, _anyone_ who does not have a penchant for disobeying a Disengage or Hold Position order must _not_, under any circumstances, be given control of any ship or mobile armor platform.  Anyone who has had a background check or been issued a security clearance has his name on a list somewhere.  To prevent him being compromised, make sure that all covert actions and ground locations are manned exclusively by people that we have no idea who they are, and make sure that no one has any actual ID.  Hail the Empire!"

Even the good guys are pretty awful: they are able to create and hold, apparently, _one_ ground location in all the universe per film, and then broadcast its location at first opportunity.  No attempts will be made to claim or hold any other location until this one is destroyed.  As we all know, _this_ is how you win a war.

>sigh<

It's just----   look: I am _not_ -- really, truly, I am _not_-- trying _at all_ to insult the fans: the movies are dazzling and fast-paced and filled with bright colors and cool effects and wild ship designs, and a couple of them were really fun.   But overall, the entire story, and all the little sub-stories--  they're just _awful_.  Absolutely awful.   :(

2 hours ago, dougmacd said:

That, too, echoes with familiarity.    :rofl:

Thanks for that.  I never got into Robot Chicken.  I watched four or five "episodes," but never found anything remotely amusing (not a big fan of diarrhea jokes), but I suppose the rule of "blind hogs and acorns" applies to pretty much everything.  :lol:

6 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Thanks for that.  I never got into Robot Chicken.  I watched four or five "episodes," but never found anything remotely amusing (not a big fan of diarrhea jokes), but I suppose the rule of "blind hogs and acorns" applies to pretty much everything.  :lol:

Robot Chicken was uneven, but when it was funny it was hilarious.  The one where Emperor Palpatine gets a phone call from Vader reporting the destruction of the Death Star sticks out.

2 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Even the good guys are pretty awful: they are able to create and hold, apparently, _one_ ground location in all the universe per film, and then broadcast its location at first opportunity.  No attempts will be made to claim or hold any other location until this one is destroyed.  As we all know, _this_ is how you win a war.

I figure that the Star Wars universe is heir to the US Air Force philosophy that air superiority is everything and that holding the ground or helping ground forces is an unnecessary nuisance.