Usagi

Doc Democracy

As the person who seemed to inspire Usagi's tirade, I suppose it would be relevant to this thread to mention that he did send me a private message under his "Lord Diadem" username, which disappeared after Dan Simon caught up with him. It was notably succinct and to the point: "Die of cancer, you cockroach!" :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Hermit said:

I just liked everyone he or she downvoted. 

Balance restored!

Dude-- I thought we _all_ sort of did that?  I mean, I tend to do it until I run out of rep, and I see people I didn't get to get those same up votes, so I thought it was just a normal thing for a group of decent people to do......

5 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

Sadly, I thought this thread would be about a certain comic book rabbit samurai.

:lol:   I confess, every single time I saw his name, in my mind's ear, I would hear Jim saying "Yojimbo!"  :rofl:

(Seems weird that of the things for a non-comic book guy to catch, I caught that one, doesn't it? )

5 hours ago, Cancer said:

:confused:  Is this something that occurred in the thread I rarely read (that is, Politics)?

Couldn't tell you;  I can tell you it's but one of the reasons I stay the Hell out there.  Honestly, I don't really understand the mindset that leads to "let me go out of my way to find something that's probably going to piss me off" anyway.  It's like some kind of handicap with people today, though.

15 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

As the person who seemed to inspire Usagi's tirade, I suppose it would be relevant to this thread to mention that he did send me a private message under his "Lord Diadem" username, which disappeared after Dan Simon caught up with him. It was notably succinct and to the point: "Die of cancer, you cockroach!" :rolleyes:

Luck you!  As far as I know, roaches are immune to cancer.  If that's your sentence, I envy you, being cursed to immortality like that.  :D

11 minutes ago, Pariah said:

That seems like a remarkably immature and even juvenile response to me. 

And I work with teenagers all day, every day.

I think it's symptomatic of the "invincible anonymous keyboard warrior" syndrome that seems to have come up with the generation that is being de-facto parented and raised by the internet....   :(

Well, there were twits like that at least as far back as the late 1980s, in the pre-WWW internet, and it was hard for anyone younger than college to get on that.  I think it's a timeless syndrome, and if there's more of them now it has at least as much to do with availability as generationally-linked sociopathy.

58 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

I think it's symptomatic of the "invincible anonymous keyboard warrior" syndrome that seems to have come up with the generation that is being de-facto parented and raised by the internet....   :(

My good fellow, do you mean to suggest the possibility that this....individual of whom we have been speaking may, in fact, be an adolescent male who resides in his mother's basement?

(That would explain a lot, actually.)

50 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Well, there were twits like that at least as far back as the late 1980s, in the pre-WWW internet, and it was hard for anyone younger than college to get on that.  I think it's a timeless syndrome, and if there's more of them now it has at least as much to do with availability as generationally-linked sociopathy.

Though falsely attributed, the Mike Tyson meme sort of sums it up:

"The internet has made too many of you comfortable with the idea you can be disrespectful and not get punched in the face."

As far as going back through time:  I don't know; perhaps it's a difference in location, but where I was throughout the 80s, it was still perfectly acceptable to punch the face of someone who stepped well-over the line of respectful behavior.  Frankly, it was downright _expected_.

6 minutes ago, Pariah said:

My good fellow, do you mean to suggest the possibility that this....individual of whom we have been speaking may, in fact, be an adolescent male who resides in his mother's basement?

(That would explain a lot, actually.)

I can't say. He might be in his thirties, but I have no doubt that 1) yes: he lives in his mother's house and 2) he hasn't come close to growing up.

Now, on to more important matters:

Did I miss the memo?

I think there are perhaps seven or eight of us who didn't get the "this is the day we change avatar pics" memo....  :lol:

Assuming Usage comes back again, this is for him. His argument that religion is not rational does not hold up. 

Yesterday I received a book -- well a two volume set, and at 1100 pages a mini encyclopaedia -- that is a introduction to the philosophy at CU Leuven and has sections on cosmology, psychology, criteriology, metaphysics or ontology, natural theology, logic, ethics and outlines of the history of philosophy. CU Leuven is Belgium's most prestigious university and has a long history (back to 15th century) of teaching philosophy and theology. Its modern institution KU Leuven ranks in the top 15 universities worldwide for theology and top 31 for philosophy. The author of the set is primary Cardinal Mercier, who encouraged a young seminarian gifted in maths towards physics and later ordained him -- Georges Lemaître -- to the priesthood. You might say this was a Big Bang moment. One of the goals of Cardinal Mercier in founding the Higher Institute of Philosophy at CU Leuven was to bring together Scholasticism and modern science. 

For the curious, its TOC Vol 1, and Vol 2. You can see that modern science is incorporated and commented upon in Scholasticism terms. Definitions eg of what life is, and proofs on issues are contained within. Discussions of human rights, Truth, Goodness, Existence, Essence, Nature and more are in. I think Consciousness is in as well. The plates contain biological anatomy as well. 

I've noticed that for a lot of people, their sense of personal self-worth is closely tied to their beliefs and opinions. If they perceive those beliefs as being challenged or criticized, they react as though it was a personal attack against themselves, lashing out with disproportionate defensive anger. Disagreements between people who can't separate what they and others think from who they are often grow into resentment and bitterness. I make a conscious effort to keep that in mind, which may be one reason why this sort of spat bothers me less than it would other people.

It also helps that I'm not overly troubled by opinions of me and my views from random people on the Internet whom I don't know and will probably never meet. :winkgrin: