Coronavirus

Steve

22 minutes ago, Mightybec said:

The food was nice.  The weather is good for your skin.  But man oh man, those stones hurt when they throw them at your noggin! :D

My apologies: "of" Iran rather than "to" Iran. The enquiry was sloppily phrased, but my heart (and memory...well, mostly...) was in the right place. Nevertheless, I take it you're back in your perpetually dark concrete nest?

8 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

My apologies: "of" Iran rather than "to" Iran. The enquiry was sloppily phrased, but my heart (and memory...well, mostly...) was in the right place. Nevertheless, I take it you're back in your perpetually dark concrete nest?

Yes, I am in my spot.  Pennywise can't stop by anymore for tea and biscuits.  His girlfriend, She-IT, is making him stay home :(

Today I tried to order masks in anticipation of the CDC directive that is supposedly forthcoming. Amazon had a decent price, but shipping would take about two months.

Rite Aid offered a box of masks for $5 -- with a shipping charge of nearly $40 and a delay of a month. If that's not profiteering, I don't know what is.

How could the CDC make a directive they knew very few people would be able to follow? And the advice to use scarves? I can't imagine a knitted wool scarf stopping anything.

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

And the advice to use scarves? I can't imagine a knitted wool scarf stopping anything.

As long as it stops your droplets reaching anyone else, it prevents the person wearing the scarf spreading the illness they do not know they have.

4 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

They also fail to realize that the virus will not survive the stomach, and that it apparently doesn't take a lot of heat to kill it: undercooked was likely cooked enough. 

Nor do they realize that this bit of science started on Facebook and Twitter, and not in a lab. 

Can you get it from a bat? 

Who the hell knows? 

Can you get it from eating an undercooked bat? 

Let's all wait just a minute to see if anyone has any intelligent questions.... 

Can you get it from a bat?

Is it passed on by a rat?

Or a toad

On the road?

In a pinch

From a finch?

Coughs from an uncovered face

Make a nasty germy place.

If you would keep out of peril

Wash your hands and keep them sterile.

1 hour ago, Hugh Neilson said:

As long as it stops your droplets reaching anyone else, it prevents the person wearing the scarf spreading the illness they do not know they have.

And that's why the argument's made for masking.  Because so many people are believed to have it but not know it.

The argument *against* is the supply issue primarily.  It's already true, as Michael noted, that supplies are brutally hard to find, and the profiteering is pretty gross.  Not like that surprises anyone, right?

A local store is selling surgical masks, not ideal protection from picking up the virus, but helpful to prevent spreading it if you've got it but don't know it. Four for $10.00. It's an odd place, selling a mixture of cheap clothing and linens, but also a laundromat. The owners are Chinese, and most of their goods come from China, so they probably have connections to mask suppliers there.