Coronavirus

Steve

11 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

On a crazier note.

My step-daughter calls yesterday and asks if she has Coronoavirus because she has a bad sore throat.  It's seasonal allergy time so its hard to say.  Beyond the obvious ask your doctor advice I point out that if you don't have a fever it's probably just allergies.  Probably.

Then she asks if she can come over and visit my immuno-compromised wife and I.

????!!!

!@#$ no you can't come over and visit after asking that.  Shelter-in-place can only slow this disease down.  The stupid cannot be contained.

Yeah, my allergies are here, nothing to worry about, acting exactly like it always does.

And yeah, I'd like to visit my dad, but he is 78 with diabetes, and 2 years removed from a heart attack, so coronavirus would not be good for him.

26 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

In the United States, at least, have overall (non-white collar) crime rates gone down?

Found these:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-chicago-police-new-crime-stats-20200331-utnr2apdtbdzhagsehlzvq4lvi-story.html

https://www.theladders.com/career-advice/coronavirus-hit-new-york-slammed-by-crime-wave

Note the point about the week of 16-22 March in the second story.

So probably somewhat, yes.  It seems likely that "professional" crime will drop, as targets are fundamentally scarcer.  Many fewer homes are empty of an evening, for example.  What is likely tho, is that desperation-driven crime will rise as this crisis extends.

Too many people have no compunctions about pointing an erect index finger China's way when the topic of their culture's cuisine (or at least part of it) arises. By "people", I mean United States citizens. Do they not realize we eat "bizarre" things too, such as rattlesnake, alligator and opossum? Never underestimate the power of moral myopia...

4 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Too many people have no compunctions about pointing an erect index finger China's way when the topic of their culture's cuisine

They also fail to realize that the virus will not survive the stomach, and that it apparently doesn't take a lot of heat to kill it: undercooked was likely cooked enough. 

Nor do they realize that this bit of science started on Facebook and Twitter, and not in a lab. 

Can you get it from a bat? 

Who the hell knows? 

Can you get it from eating an undercooked bat? 

Let's all wait just a minute to see if anyone has any intelligent questions....