Boardiversary

Dr.Device

Happy Boardiversary!

------------------------- Next Post ------------------------------------------------------------

On 2/14/2021 at 10:45 AM, death tribble said:

If I Recall Correctly there was a board crash and we had to move to a new server/system.

Yeah, this is like the fourth board iteration. We had the old Cybergames boards, then the first DOJ boards, then another interim thing, then Dan started hosting them and I think this is the second version of forum software he's used.

I thought this thread was about “Board Diversity” and that mistake was reinforced by seeing the icon with a what appeared to be a woman’s picture.

So now I’m curious. After at least eighteen years of existence, how many members here are something other than White/Anglo/Pasty Faced males?  I am a white guy and most of the real world players I used to know were, with a smattering of white women and black and Asian men. 
  I’m just wondering if that’s changed over the last couple of decades.

P.S. Happy Anniversary Dr. Device.

1 hour ago, Tjack said:

, how many members here are something other than White/Anglo/Pasty Faced males?

Well, I live and work primarily outside in the South, so youd be hard-pressed to call me "past-faced."   :lol:  while a large chunk of Job 1 is desk work, its not the largest part of the day, and job 2 is straight up grunt work mixed around desk time.  Wierd for a guy with a nursing degree, I guess, but it turns out I hate touching people and my claustrophibia doesnt like walls without windows, so there it is.

you want to talk diversity?  I have spent years here fairly certain I am one of an extreme minority of blue collar RPG fans, and the only one who plays HERO.   :lol:

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

Yeah, I read "Biodiversity".  :)

Ditto.

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

Happy Anniversary!

I was originally part of the old boards from the very late 90s (I forget the exact name) myself.

I think the bulk of us still here drifted over from Red October, but I'm getting old; my memory gets slightly more romanticized with each year that passes...

Congratulations on not having internet died yet, Doc D!

8 hours ago, death tribble said:

It will be the same for a lot of us as If I Recall Correctly there was a board crash and we had to move to a new server/system. Congrats anyway.

Yeah, I was on the previous boards as well.  But any dates associated with those have been lost in the mists of time.

7 hours ago, Tjack said:

I thought this thread was about “Board Diversity” and that mistake was reinforced by seeing the icon with a what appeared to be a woman’s picture.

So now I’m curious. After at least eighteen years of existence, how many members here are something other than White/Anglo/Pasty Faced males?  I am a white guy and most of the real world players I used to know were, with a smattering of white women and black and Asian men. 
  I’m just wondering if that’s changed over the last couple of decades.

P.S. Happy Anniversary Dr. Device.

Thanks.

My gaming groups have generally had decent gender diversity (even back when I was pretending to be a guy), but otherwise, yeah, pretty pale, overall.

8 hours ago, Starlord said:

Yeah, I read "Biodiversity".  :)

Happy Anniversary!

I was originally part of the old boards from the very late 90s (I forget the exact name) myself.

I think that was the iteration known as Fusion, or maybe even Fuzion? It was not remembered kindly. 

I showed up in late ‘01 I believe, right before a board reset I think. Hard the imagine that was nearly 20 years ago! 

47 minutes ago, Dr.Device said:

Yeah, I was on the previous boards as well.  But any dates associated with those have been lost in the mists of time.

Thanks.

My gaming groups have generally had decent gender diversity (even back when I was pretending to be a guy), but otherwise, yeah, pretty pale, overall.

Thought you looked different than I remembered. I’ve often thought that the best heroes do well without a secret identity, and I’m glad you’ve apparently arrived at the same conclusion. 

I'm part of the group that joined up in Feb 2003. That's when I discovered there was such a thing as discussion boards. It's been a fun ride, and I really appreciate everyone here. It gives me a place to still be a part of HERO. As I've pointed out before: Boise is located at the point farthest from the center of anything HERO.

I was never part of the Red October crowd, but I found the Hero Games website forums early in 2001, during the era when the IP was owned by Cybergames.com. Dark days indeed for Herophiles. :angst:  Like many of the fogies here I signed back on when the new incarnation of the forums went live, in February of 2003, which my profile still lists as my join date. So, I guess around twenty years for me. Back then two decades sure seemed a lot longer than it does now. 👴

5 hours ago, Starlord said:

seenar v michaelnenonen

4 hours ago, Bazza said:

Oct 2002, and the first thread I remember is one by Starlord about Marvel. 

Other memorable threads and “discussions”:

Takofanes vs Dr Destroyer. 

Whatever happened to Kara & Rachel? 

Worldmaker vs Morningstar70, which closed The Thread For Random Musings About Random Musings. 

Ahh... the good old days.  :) 

5 hours ago, Bazza said:

Other memorable threads and “discussions”:

Takofanes vs Dr Destroyer. 

44 minutes ago, aylwin13 said:

Ahh... the good old days.  :) 

Not for me. Biggest regret of my forum experience was starting that damn thread. 😣 But I was still fairly new to both the Internet and the wider Hero community, and did not yet appreciate how finely yet ferociously a hair could be split. ;)

I missed all that.  The worst thing I remember happening was when Nyrath finally gave up and abandoned the Star Hero forum because Kristopher (who had mod powers so you couldn't ignore him) could not get it through his head that no, he really didn't understand anything about relativity or about the Fermi Paradox, and wouldn't shut up about either one.