The average American....

Starlord

2...the Canyon and the Strip.  Been to San Fran, a couple times, but never explicitly went to the Bridge.  Oh, no...3.  Been to DC and we did go by the Monument.

Mmm....we might have driven through Zion on a Road Trip vacation in a motor home we did one time.  But that hardly counts, so...I won't.  And Disneyland, yes...Disney World, no.  Born in SoCal...what's so special about the sign?  Dodger Stadium is way cooler.  Didn't go to the White House;  did get to go into the Capitol.  It's much better set up for visitors.

So how one counts these is...somewhat up in the air.

And we're in a rather big country.  I've been in 19 states, not counting Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Washington (just travel connections) but I do count New Jersey.  We wen to Atlantic City for an afternoon once...it was on a day off during a business-related trip.  I've been to Alaska and Florida, California and Maryland, Alabama (or Texas) and Michigan.  I daresay that's more...and covering FAR more area...than most.  7 of these were work-related only;  5 were gaming, like Gen Con and Origins.  The advantage of being single...I could do this from time to time.

I suspect the percentage of people who can do that, isn't that high.

15, with many caveats or clarifications.

1.     Grand Canyon - Too young to really remember anything

2.     Walt Disney World - Once, and Epcot

3.     Niagara Falls - Seen from the road, didn't go into the tourist area

4.     Gateway Arch - Seen from the road, didn't go up

5.     Yosemite National Park - Too young again

6.     Hollywood Sign - Now, I've seen it in person plenty, but I didn't trek up to get close enough to actually touch. But then, very few people do. That is not standard tourist activity.

7.     Las Vegas Strip - Yup. Got severely dehydrated, too. Would still go back. 

8.     Yellowstone - Again, too young

9.     Everglades - Driven through it, but then it is a massive area. I don't think this really belongs

10.  Pikes Peak - Seen it from below, but did not climb

11.  Saint Augustine - Yup, attended a wedding there

12.  Golden Gate Bridge - Many times. SF is my favorite major city

13.  Lake Tahoe - Oh yes, Honeymooned in Tahoe. Still one of my favorite places on Earth

14.  River Walk - Which one? Orlando is a yes

15.  Alcatraz - Seen it from shore, but never took a tour 

13 in all, I think, depending on which "River Walk" is being referred to. Most of them are in the western half of the country.  I don't count Alcatraz or Washington Monument, though they are mentioned below.

Haven't visited Statue of Liberty, but I saw her from an outbound ship at the end of my only real visit to NYC.

Grand Canyon, three times; twice while age 10 to 12, then again four years ago.  All the South Rim.  The North Rim, I understand, is very different and quite a treat, though it's only open in summer.

Walt Disney World.  Stayed there a couple of days on the same trip to Florida to see a friend go up in the Shuttle in December 2007; that's my only visit to Florida.

Zion Nat'l Park: Camped there once for several days, about age 11.

Space Needle: Live in the city.  Been up it twice.  Walked under it uncountably many times.

Yellowstone: visited as a kindergartner or preschooler for several days; family camped there.  I had intended to visit there on my move from Indiana to Seattle in 1988, but the fire skronked that idea.

Chicago River: Saw that once on one of my many visits to Chicago right after grad school.

Been to the base of the Washington Monument, but not up it.  Have been up into the Lincoln Memorial.

Been across the Golden Gate Bridge three times as an adult, at least twice while in kindergarten or earlier

River Walk: Only if you mean the one in San Antonio; same trip as the Alamo below.

Gateway Arch: once, on a business trip

Road to Hana: once, shortly after marriage

Alamo: once, because the American Astronomical Society met in San Antonio one winter.

Yosemite: Several times, all before I started high school

Lake Tahoe: more than once, kindergarten and earlier

Alcatraz: Haven't visited it.  Seen it from distance a number of times.

Vaguely surprised at things not on the list:

• the Freedom Trail / Faneuil Hall, Boston (have been there).
  • Gettysburg (nope)
  • Carlsbad Caverns (have been there)
  • Mesa Verde (have been there)
  • Glacier National Park (nope)

5 hours ago, Bazza said:

3 for me. 

And the Aussie is two ahead of me. Living in Washington, not that far from Seattle, I have been to the Seattle Center many times and been up the Space Needle a time or two. (I was always more interested in the Science Center.)

I have traveled very little in my life, and I doubt I will ever have the money to do so.

I would like to see Carlsbad Caverns, though, and maybe the Grand Canyon. Not much interested in any of the others, and some I'd only visit at gunpoint.

Dean Shomshak

Just for fun: I've not only been to the Las Vegas Strip, I've been to bits of Las Vegas off the strip!

Check that out, Yanqui scum!

(Disclaimer: The term "Yanqui scum" may not reflect the view of assault or any entity associated with assault. Apologies are explicitly given where necessary to prevent legal or moderator action.)

(Secondary Disclaimer: my father was a model railroad fan, and we went to hobby shops pretty much everywhere. I may have talked him into buying me some wargaming, but given the timeline, not roleplaying, material there.)

I've never been to the East Coast, which eliminates a lot of these. But the ones I have seen:

* Lady P and I went to Moab / Zion National Park for our anniversary a few years ago. We saw Delicate Arch, albeit from about half a mile away.

* I've been to the Space Needle. As someone mentioned above, I found the Science Center more memorable.

* I've seen the Hollywood Sign from as close as possible without a hike, so I'm counting it.

* I've been to the Vega$ $trip a few times. Practice Wife won about $700 on a Frank Sinatra slot machine on one visit.

* Our family went to Yellowstone last summer after my Mom's funeral in Montana. The kids loved all the wildlife and Old Faithful.

* I'm pretty sure we drove to the top of Pike's Peak when I was younger (i.e., <10 yrs).

* I've driven over the Golden Gate Bridge a time or three.

* I once won $32 on the penny slots at Lake Tahoe. 

So that's eight, I guess.