Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Im running a 1950's Golden Age campaign. The heroes have recently defeated an obviously extraterrestrial menace, and have arranged to meet their covert government contact by the Statue of Liberty.

Red Tornado, the team speedster and Army Air Corps lieutenant, is talking to the agent, explaining the situation. On the way there, the team had also rendezvoused (sp?) with their super-heavy flying brick, Captain Mighty.The heroes are all in trench coats and fedoras over their costumes (which looks really cute on Miss Liberty and Cat Girl, and really unconvincing on Captain Mighty).

Captain Mighty is usually a skinny little four-eyed lab dweeb, but when he pops a "Cap cap", a pill he developed, he transforms into Captain Mighty for one hour; seven feet of burly muscled thews, black wavy hair, and a glinting smile.

Red Tornado tells the agent," You see, we managed to back the last few into a corner, and they....transformed. We thought they were commie spies, but they were something completely different! They got big...really big. About as big as Captain Mighty. And they were black and leathery. They had no heads, only a gigantic eye on top between their shoulders....and big shark-toothed jaws on their chests. And they had these..."

The agent whistles as he looks at the atomic pistols that Red Tornado hands him.

"Ive never seen anything like these in my life." the OSS agent says, pushing his fedora back on his head.

"I know." Red Tornado says." We think theyre not of this earth. Alien."

"ALIEN?!??" Captain Mighty exclaims.

"Sssshhhhhhhhh!" the agent says as all eyes turn toward Captain Mighty."Dont let the civilians hear you! This has to be kept quiet. Just....talk quietly."

A momentary silence occurs as the team watches as Captain Mighty is obviously digesting this.

Then he turns to the agent and says,".....I cant. Ill be over there."

Fantasy Hero.

Its a "Fourth Age of Middle Earth" campaign,

and a Daughter of Sauron sits on the throne of Mordor as a Dark Queen.

The PCs need info on an artifact, and decide to go straight to her to ask it. :eek:

So in disguise they enter Mordor.

At the border crossing gates they are stuck in line behind some vile Easterlings

with 3 tarped over wagons that smell funny.

Next day at the "gaijin house" where all non-Mordorians must lodge, :mad:

they again run into this weird Easterling posse.

And the next day, as they wait in line to beg for an audience,

the Easterlings get there just before the PCs.

Of course, the Easterlings get their audience first, and the PCs

finally find out what was in those wagons:

Easterling Ambassador:

My Gracious Dark Lady, as a gift and emblem of our trust and tribute,

we present to you these 100 salted smoked hobbits.

I'm with keyes_bill - I didn't understand why it was funny' date=' still don't...[/quote']

Looked at in isolation, it makes me grin because of the mental image...a cute, fluffy bunny sitting there, a sewing needle sitting on top of its head (pointing straight up) while someone takes aim at that needle with a long, double-barreled shotgun...

(shrug) YMMV, of course. ;)

Oreo filling isn't lard. It's hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Hah! Not any more!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oreo#Dietary_compatibility

Dietary compatibility

In 1998, Nabisco declared that Oreo cookies were kosher-dairy in Kosher diets.

On May 13, 2003, attorney Stephen Joseph filed suit charging Nabisco with using hydrogenated, or partially hydrogenated, oils to make the cookies. The suit was dropped as Nabisco considered replacing the hydrogenated oils with alternative oils.

As of January 2006, classic Oreo cookies are no longer manufactured with hydrogenated oils. Older packages will still be on store shelves for some time, and other varieties may not have eliminated hydrogenated oils completely.

http://www.bantransfats.com/theoreocase.html

Depending on the area of manufacture, Oreo cookies may or may not be vegan.

Hmm...so now it's canola oil with a little palm oil mixed in. I wonder if the filling is mushier now, and if not, if the saturated fat + trans-fat content has really changed at all.

Anyway, I'm sure there are going to be a lot of people up in arms because the canola's genetically modified....

Several quotes from a couple different game sessions of our Chicago-based Champions game.

The team's martial artist is suseptible to mental attacks. The team's mentalist has a helmet that helps defend him from mental attacks. The martial artist is about to go in to a place where we all know there are mentalists lying in wait to attack us:

Martial Artist: "Give me your helmet."

Team Leader: "Don't you put in on! That might cause soem bio-feedback and make your brain start working."

"Ultra-sonic Doppler Alarms...USDA?"

"I can leap short buildings in a single bound!"

After trying to figure a way around security cameras and deciding to fly above them:

"It's a shame I didn't flash the camera..."

"Most people who buy a clue with a check, the check don't bounce.

To a vampire:

"Oh bite me."

After one of our party "turns to the darkside" by joining leagues with a vampire:

"So who's going to tell her wife. I mean..."

Villain: "That's something I admire in your kind..."

Team Leader: "Blatant stupidity?"

(from last week's Champions game)

Midnight and Whispering Death, the group's two ninja, are planning on how to take out our latest foe, a staff-wielding, spell-slinging, pain-in-the-backside mentalist, who is standing behind two lackeys, waiting for the rest of the group who is hiding in the corridor to emerge so they can blast them.

*using Night Dragon clan hand signs*

Whispering Death: "Okay, you get behind him and distract him, and while he's focused on you, I'll attack."

Midnight: "Sure."

Midnight promptly goes invisible - and I mean INVISIBLE... like "to Sight groups, Mental groups, Mystic groups, Danger Sense, Combat Sense, Spatial Awareness, and Detect Minds" type INVISIBLE - and teleports to stand directly behind our foe, who is completely oblivious to her.

Midnight: *still invisible, leaning forward to whisper right into the mentalist's ear* "Boo."

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Midnight and Whispering Death, the group's two ninja, are planning on how to take out our latest foe, a staff-wielding, spell-slinging, pain-in-the-backside mentalist, who is standing behind two lackeys, waiting for the rest of the group who is hiding in the corridor to emerge so they can blast them.

Whispering Death: "Okay, you get behind him and distract him, and while he's focused on you, I'll attack."

Midnight promptly goes invisible - and I mean INVISIBLE... like "to Sight groups, Mental groups, Mystic groups, Danger Sense, Combat Sense, Spatial Awareness, and Detect Minds" type INVISIBLE - and teleports to stand directly behind our foe, who is completely oblivious to her.

Midnight: *still invisible, leaning forward to whisper right into the mentalist's ear* "Boo."

:lol:

I've got a character with that kind of Invisiblity... It's fun not registering AT ALL on the battlefield and taking out enemies left and right...

never done the "boo" trick though, maybe it's about time....

These are all from our Teen Champions game. In this last game session, a very bad storm was moving in on Millennium City off the Great Lakes. For reference, the PCs are:

Potential -- 12-year-old gadgeteer/brick

Tranquility -- 14-year-old Buddist monk (well, not a full monk yet, but you get the idea)

Twilight -- 14-year-old necromancer from Romania

-----

Since the students are pretty much confined to the dorms that afternoon because of the severity of the storms, Twilight is spending the time playing her guitar:

GM: "That last crash of thunder literally shakes the building, and the power flickers and goes out."

Twilight's player: "Stairway to Heaven -- in Romanian -- begins playing in the darkness."

-----

Twilight: "I have idea..."

Tranquility: "This is the part that usually gets us grounded..."

Twilight: "How does metric of black hole interact with dimensional banishing spell?"

Potential (backing away): "Er...let's not find out, okay?"

Twilight (exasperated): "Where is sense of adventure?"

Potential (adamant): "Outside the event horizon of a singularity, thank you very much!"

-----

Twilight: "Well, back to research on dead educators."

-----

"Hey, I've given him Russian chocolate...I really can't do anything more."

-----

(Eventually, Ravenwood's "non-traditional" students are dispatched by the school to help the authorities and emergency services personnel deal with things happening as a result of the storm. The PCs, as freshmen, are placed under the supervision of Impact [a kinetic absorber], one of the seniors. They end up running across a group of supervillians using the storm as cover to go after something in a safety deposit box in a bank's vault.)

Twilight hits a flying supervillainess with her "Death's Grip" power -- an EGO-based entangle, the SFX of which are skeletal hands and tentacles of inky blackness erupting out of the closest surface to enwrap the target -- and the bony hands and tentacles come out of the ceiling of the hallway and grab her. Needless to say, she's pretty freaked about this, and then:

Tranquility (to Twilight): "Try not to suck this one into another dimension like you did the last one."

(I figured that called for an EGO check on the part of the villainess. She promptly rolled an 18 and went into full-scale panic. :rolleyes: )

-----

During that fight with the supervillains, one of them -- Der Blitzkrieger -- got badly hurt. Twilight can heal the injured, but must use part of someone's life force (her own or someone else's) to do the healing. Since her team mates and she herself are also hurt, she asks one of the captured villains (their mage) if she'd be willing to donate part of her life force to help her injured companion. The mage, who has (mis)identified Twilight as a vampire, says "Just don't take too much blood, okay?"

Twilight: "Oh, no blood...I go directly for part of soul; much less messy that way."

-----

I once had a character that was an invisible telekinetic. After having found a group of VIPER agents in a creapy looking mansion, I began to hide in nooks and crannies of the ceilings (just in case), and did the whole poltergeist schtick. After having severely rattled a few of the agents by nearly killing them (Total Code vs), I sneak to the center of the ceiling in the room that they're re-planning in and loudly whisper(?), "GET OUT!"

I then turned the the GM and asked, "So how many extra dice on the PREsence attack is that worth?" 0ne +30 effect later...:eg:

The Pulp HERO GM wasn't up to running, so we wound up getting together for a couple of D&D Minis skirmishes.

At one point, in a mass melee, there was a Large Brass Dragon, a Sand Giant (Large, black-skinned humanoid in brass armor), and a Khumat (a Large anthropomorphic crocodile) all in base-contact swinging at each other. I looked over at this, and commented ...

"You know, if anybody ever did a 'Japanese Rubber-Monster-Suit minis game ... it would look like THIS."

In another skirmish, Warduke (burly human warrior) made a solo run at my squad of 7 shooters, most of which were elves. I took him out while suffering only minimal damage and no casualties.

"So, Warduke put on his 'Legolas is a (crude term for homosexual)' T-shirt on and rushed the elvish snipers. Good plan!"

In the meantime, in this 3-army fight, a Hill Giant Barbarian has charged and pretty much splattered a Young Master fig that was separated from the rest of the army.

"You shouldn't have used the Young Master as bait."

"He wasn't bait!"

"I'm sorry, he was Young Master baiting all OVER the place there."

"You know' date=' if anybody ever did a 'Japanese Rubber-Monster-Suit minis game ... it would look like THIS."[/quote']

[shameless plug]

Were you aware that there is a Japanese Rubber-Monster-Suit minis game?

http://www.firefly-games.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=31

[/shameless plug]

Some quotes from the Fantasy game I was in last night:

Imet Toth, the Paladin: "If this town has fallen under the influence of another evil cult...Im going to kill someone."

Astra the Amazon:" .....Thats a given!" ;)

--------------------

Kethri the Martial Artist: "Look for someone who knows whats going on in this town. Someone who's been here a while......Look for the one with the fewest teeth!"

--------------------

Seth the Rogue's Bluff Check on the town guardsman: "Hey! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my pants!"

From a side converstation at our Fantasy Hero game last Night.

Tawnee: If this (life) is a hero game then I need a word with my player to find out why I got 3 points of Bureaucratics unstead of 3 points of Immortality.

Last night, while playing the Greyhawk Module "Kusnir," I pointed out the difference between a rogue and my dwarven cleric...

"Sneaky for a dwarf means that instead of bashing someone's face in, he just bashes the back of the head."

I was running a playtest on the first half of a GenCon game the other night. At one point, Seeker (yes, that Seeker, it's for the Anniversary game) tried the old "get villain to shoot at me and Dodge at the last moment" trick ... but a 5 still hit him. The player asked which attack the villain had been using, I replied that it was the laser beam.

"Oh, he's using a 'Heat Seeker'? "

Sort of game related gnome pun:

Former player Ms Terror is dating a guy with a stock build and modest height. He also has a shaved head and long goatee. Her BF time has caused her to drp out of the game. Another player was asking us where she was.

Mrs Hooligan: "She's at her boyfriend's house. It's shaped like a mushroom."

All: "wha..!"

Mrs H: "Oh, yeah. He's only three apples high. She's a Gnomosexual now."

For the latest Shadows Angelus run:

Tyger the clade arrives at the team BBQ.

Angelique (who's 4): "Kitty!" *hug*

Tyger: "Agh!"

"You can also... wait, this is Tyger, he wouldn't."

"He's firing for effect? I'm effected."

Burton: "... my Macintosh MacBook 2112."

Me (OOC): "The Rush Edition."

The GM: *laughter*

Hemelshot: "Can he make a PER Roll to see if he notices I'm not carrying a computer and am carrying a really big gun?"

The GM: "He doesn't. He's going to attack you."

Hemeshot: "YES! Wait a minute...."

Me: "Jama doesn't make pithy comments."

Robert: "Nestor? Can you make a half move so I can get to the pizza?"