What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Mission: Impossible 5 (Rogue Nation) was a really well made and written action film.  Rebecca Ferguson kind of stole the show--but that might just be me because she really, really reminds me of that one girl that I should not have gotten romantically involved with that one time.  (Well, more like a dozen times.  Or so.)

The show Forged in Fire is actually pretty good.  Its a competition/reality show, but so far its focused a lot on the craftsmanship and nobody has been a jerk to anyone else.  They all seem supportive and friendly, and the competition is over with each show - each episode is a new competition.  Blacksmiths making and testing out weapons, very cool, and I've learned a lot about how the process works.

Watched season one of Wilfred (American version) on a friend's recommendation. It is a messed up show. I actually enjoyed it but it is super dark in places, the humor is often both grim and gross, and the show's namesake character is really an a-hole, even if he is a dog...

Watched Kung Fu Killer with Donnie Yen as an instructor in jail who is challenged by a psycho who wants to kill the best fighters around.

Snow Girl and the Dark Crystal. A god wants to wipe out the hells, destroy humanity, and become the Jade Emperor. When his pawn turns into a spanner, he starts having problems.

CES 

Watched a great documentary called The Wrecking Crew about a super talented group of studio musicians that played... pretty much everything recorded in America for about 30 years.  I'm not exaggerating.  They were the uncredited backup band for a zillion acts, wrote tons of theme songs, ad jingles, and did the real studio work for many bands from Frank Sinatra to The Beach Boys to Herb Alpert and way beyond.

That doc and 20 Feet From Stardom are a brilliant, amazing glance at basically unknown, underrated talent.  This video from 20 Feet... gives a feeling for the incredible talent involved in places you didn't really pay attention to.

Watched a great documentary called The Wrecking Crew about a super talented group of studio musicians that played... pretty much everything recorded in America for about 30 years.  I'm not exaggerating.  They were the uncredited backup band for a zillion acts, wrote tons of theme songs, ad jingles, and did the real studio work for many bands from Frank Sinatra to The Beach Boys to Herb Alpert and way beyond.

That doc and 20 Feet From Stardom are a brilliant, amazing glance at basically unknown, underrated talent.  This video from 20 Feet... gives a feeling for the incredible talent involved in places you didn't really pay attention to.

I knew about the informal group called The Wrecking Crew so thanks for the tip about the film. I'll keep an eye out for it. And you wen't kidding when you say 30 years. 

From Wikipedia: 

The Wrecking Crew's members were musically versatile but typically had formal backgrounds in jazz or classical music. The talents of this group of "first call" players were used on almost every style of recording including television theme songs, film scores, advertising jingles and almost every genre of American popular music, from the Monkees to Bing Crosby. Notable artists employing the Wrecking Crew's talents included: Nancy Sinatra, Bobby Vee, the Partridge Family (group), David Cassidy (solo), Jan & Dean, the Mamas & the Papas, the 5th Dimension, the Association, the Carpenters, Glen Campbell, Cher, John Denver, the Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, and the Grass Roots[4] and Nat King Cole.

The record producers most often associated with the Wrecking Crew are: Phil Spector, who used the Crew to create his trademark "Wall of Sound"; and Beach Boys member and songwriter Brian Wilson, who used the Crew's talents on many of his mid-1960s productions including the songs "Good Vibrations", "California Girls", Pet Sounds, and the original recordings for Smile. Members of the Wrecking Crew played on the first Byrds single recording, "Mr. Tambourine Man", because, with the exception of Roger McGuinn, Columbia Records—namely, producer Terry Melcher—did not trust the musical competency of the band's members.[5] Spector used the Wrecking Crew on Leonard Cohen's fifth album, Death of a Ladies' Man.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the decade's more curelly underestimated anime features is Wolf Children, which I saw at OMSI last night. (What was formerly its Omnimax theatre is staging an anime weekend, including the obligatory screenings of Akira). It's beautiful and very moving and sad.

Hana is a college student who meets and falls in love with a working-class guy who randomly walks into classes. On Christmas he tells her his darkest secret -- that he can change at will between human form and his native form, which is an enormous and beautiful wolf. They end up moving in together and having children (the film doesn't say whether they marry), but his sudden death leaves her alone to raise a boy and a girl who are both human and wolf -- and must decide which they want to live out their lives as. It's all about Hana's struggles and joys with single motherhood, especially after being forced to flee Tokyo and move to a rural village where she is totally unprepared for living off the land. Meanwhile the children begin to grow up and find themselves on divergent paths -- one embracing humanity and the other embracing his animal nature.

The trailer should give you an idea:

I've just re-watched the widescreen Blu-Ray versions of "Galactica 1980". It wasn't as bad as I had remembered (but it is far from good).

I tried to watch "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", but found the new version to be too depressing for a comedy, and turned it off about a quarter of the way through.

• 3 weeks later...

The Patriot - Some movies age very well. I enjoyed the movie a lot (again) though it was like watching a horror movie. I wanted to shout at the characters for their choices and actions. I guess that makes it a good movie.

Prophecy - This movie did not age so well. The story served as the inspiration for several programs (I'm looking at you Supernatural) trying to mimic it. Viggo Mortensen's was actually the star of the show in my eyes. The little girl was pretty good at "channeling" the evil soldier. Everybody else just seemed to be sort of there for reasons. It was very much the same feeling I got when watching Highlander after 15 years of not seeing it. I kept wondering why I liked it in the first place.

Blindspot - New TV show about a woman found in a duffel bag with lots of tattoos and no memory of why they got there or who she even is. The general concept of an amnesiac super soldier has been done before, to varying degrees of success. While the pilot episode was not terrible, they are going to seriously have to challenge the stereotypes in play and come up with some really fresh story concepts in order to keep going. This would have been an excellent mini-series or single season show.

Gotham: Rise of the Villains - When I started watching Gotham in season 1, I was pretty well impressed on how they handled things. Now we are seeing the overt push to establish the eventual Batman Rogues Gallery. The first episode of the season seemed very forced. I liked the scenes with Jim Gordon, but the villains scenes were teetering on being over the top. Some of the worst episodes from the first season had that same over the top nature. I think that it could have been a better episode and built a better foundation for the rest of the season if they played up the fallout from the mob war for the first couple of episodes before moving into full speed into the Evil Plot.

Finally got a chance to watch some things without my 9 year old around.  

Watched "I Frankenstein" and "Hercules" with "the Rock"

Really, I liked " I frankenstein" better.   I was not really expecting much, but I rather liked it.   Dwayne seemed to be not really acting in Hercules.  At least for the first half...  

First episode of "Person of Interest." I'll watch more.

Continuum. I kept hearing good things about this show, so I'm watching the first season now. I like it. The lead is very cute, and I like how the future-tech works (especially the fact that it's not perfect, it can be hacked and it can be damaged).

First episode of Heroes Reborn. So far it shows every sign of being no different than its predecessor, but I'll hang in for a while to see how it goes.

The Intern. A very charming film. I liked it.

Trailers for Supergirl and Jessica Jones. I. Am. So. Very. There.