In other news...

tkdguy

6 hours ago, Hermit said:

Yeah..great that 'a' doctor visited earlier... but I have to admit, if I were the family I'd be not crazy about this myself. Dude is dying, hospitals ain't cheap, you can do better than a pop up in streaming service 

From the article:

of the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center

Kind of explains it. Last year, our only cheaper option for Obamacare was Kaiser, so we took the fine instead.

1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

Is Kaiser so bad? My sister has had it for her insurance, and she hasn't complained about it. I also just got Kaiser as my insurance.

Jerry Pournelle used to rave about how great Kaiser was, at least in California where he lived.

On 3/10/2019 at 6:15 PM, Duke Bushido said:

The past few days, I have been helping my brother do some research (in exchange for some art restoration to my scan projects) online, (notice I haven't been here much lately? ;) ) and have been to numerous "comments" sections that feature the done-to-death "American's be so ignant!" comments..... 

This was mostly about the Ignorance about a certain Government Official. Some person that had a thing with walls.

On 3/10/2019 at 10:00 PM, Pariah said:

I'm speechless. This shouldn't happen in a developed nation. :mad:

CDC: Unvaccinated Oregon boy almost dies of tetanus; $1M to save him

I can not see the Insurance covering that.

On 3/11/2019 at 11:24 PM, Rails said:

I don't get it.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Why punish the team he was supposedly a fan of?  How is it Birmingham City's responsibility that they have (had?) a nutjob as a fan?  If something like that happened in an NFL or MLB game here, would we expect the team to be punished for the actions of a fan?  (Raiders and Chiefs, I'm looking at you.)

In Europe the Fanclubs are strongly tied to the Sportsteam itself.

Sports Hooligans are a pretty big problem. And nothing is a better deterent then penalizing the club for their missdeeds.

Indeed the areas around the goals are not sold fully publically. The cards are given to the Fanclub for sale. By the Sports Club.

An unfortunate sequence of events:

1. Customers request that Boeing produce an updated version of the 737.
  2. Boeing cannot alter the wings or airframe of the 737 because that would create an entirely new type that would have to undergo lengthy FAA approval procedures.  Instead, it adds more powerful engines.
  3. The engines must be mounted higher and more forward of the wings.  This alters the aircraft's center of gravity.  In addition, at high angles of attack, the engine nacelles generate additional lift forward of the wings.
  4. Boeing corrects for the resulting instability by adding a system called MCAS, which is designed to automatically force the nose down if AOA (angle of attack) sensors indicate that the aircraft is approaching aerodynamic stall.
  5. Boeing sort of fails to emphasize to airlines and pilots the importance of MCAS and of knowing how to turn it off.
  6. AOA sensors fail.  MCAS forces the nose down.  Pilots don't know how to turn off MCAS.  Aircraft trajectories intersect with the surface of the Earth.

The colleges are claiming to be victims too because this makes them look bad when it was actually one or two members of the faculty in each and a few coaches that were really in on it. While I agree that the universities are not all in on it, it's a bad read of the room for them to claim 'victimhood' here when the real losers are the kids who got bumped by affluenza laden scams like this.  If the colleges want to instill some good will? How about hunt down those that might have been cheated and see if they want a highly discounted ride if they're still looking.

This is terrifying and sickening. The beliefs that drive things like that are inhuman, and I agree with Old Man that this-- this monster -- not be given the forum he claims to deserve. This is Anders Breivik all over again.

Next time I go to the Temple I will have in mind the questions this event raises, not just about this world but about my place in it. 

(I should note that I was tempted to use a certain b-word to describe the shooter. I refrained, and think we should too. Nobody chooses the circumstances of their birth, and nobody should be disparaged for the circumstances of their birth. Comparing these people to this monster is unjust, and I will not do it.)

On 3/13/2019 at 1:53 AM, archer said:

Jerry Pournelle used to rave about how great Kaiser was, at least in California where he lived.

This is a fair and good point, but, on the other hand, it's Jerry Pournelle, who has a pretty solid track record for being wrong about stuff. 

Heh. I'm hilarious. On second thought, I don't feel like being hilarious this morning, although I'll leave that up in honour of this:

RCMP take over investigation of UCP 'irregular financial contribution' allegations

Edited by Lawnmower Boy
Auckland