In other news...

tkdguy

Not only does BMI completely fail to account for variations in lean muscle mass and differences in build, it is also biased against tall people: it measures mass divided by height squared, when (proportions being equal) mass should track with height cubed. Also, because of the square-cube law, taller people need to have proportionally thicker limbs to maintain the same strength to weight ratio. With a height of 6' 4", I don't think I could get down to a "normal" BMI without looking kind of scrawny . . . and BMI says I'd have to get down to 151 pounds before I'd be considered "underweight". That's absurd.

7 hours ago, Bazza said:

So bmi is as useful as iq. 

Essentially since the last time I was at my ideal weight, I was a teenager, desperately trying to find anyway to gain weight, yes.  

I always shock people when I tell them I am borderline obese.  I look about 10-15 pounds overweight, pretty much.  (though the way I eat at the early onset of winter, usually adds about 10 lbs, which I generally lose in spring)

5 hours ago, assault said:

Australia claims 14 of the 15 hottest places in the world as heatwave continues

Personally, I live in a city on top of a hill (mountain range, theoretically), so the craziest temperatures have passed me by.

I wish a heatwave would hit my area, been freezing my ____ off.

Edit: well, technically it is the wind that is killing me.

23 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

Not only does BMI completely fail to account for variations in lean muscle mass and differences in build, it is also biased against tall people: it measures mass divided by height squared, when (proportions being equal) mass should track with height cubed. Also, because of the square-cube law, taller people need to have proportionally thicker limbs to maintain the same strength to weight ratio. With a height of 6' 4", I don't think I could get down to a "normal" BMI without looking kind of scrawny . . . and BMI says I'd have to get down to 151 pounds before I'd be considered "underweight". That's absurd.

If I were at my BMI optimum, I would literally look starved. I know. I've been there before. Now, I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds (or convert some of weight to more muscle mass), but I hardly consider myself obese. The BMI does. I'm just an inch shorter than you. Arbitrary standards are arbitrary.