In other news...

tkdguy

The Troubles with Tribbles was the worst episode.  :nya:

Ok, 3rd worst,  I just cant give Spock's Brain, and the Hippie episode anything, even when taking a shot at DT.  (nobody in their right mind would choose a ship full of hippies over tribbles)

2 hours ago, Bazza said:

Here I was wondering what the defunct American Motors Company and the not-yet-defunct North Atlantic Treaty Organization were launching at Universal ... and I wasn't sure what "Universal" was in this context.  I'm sure it could be turned into some kind of action movie, though.

Continuing on...

What AMC does or doesn’t do doesn’t affect me one iota as an Aussie, but consider this. 

If a group of 10 people watch a movie every Sat & Sun, then over 4 weekends a theatre will sell 80 tickets, 10 on the first Sat session. Assuming the same group all go to Starlord’s house for PVOD then 8 tickets will be sold. 

Somehow, I think Universal would prefer a bigger box office, ergo sell 80 tickets. Even the first Sat session selling 10 tickets is more than a month of PVOD. 

Universal may be shooting themselves in the foot. 

On 4/29/2020 at 6:47 AM, Bazza said:

Continuing on...

What AMC does or doesn’t do doesn’t affect me one iota as an Aussie, but consider this. 

If a group of 10 people watch a movie every Sat & Sun, then over 4 weekends a theatre will sell 80 tickets, 10 on the first Sat session. Assuming the same group all go to Starlord’s house for PVOD then 8 tickets will be sold. 

Somehow, I think Universal would prefer a bigger box office, ergo sell 80 tickets. Even the first Sat session selling 10 tickets is more than a month of PVOD. 

Universal may be shooting themselves in the foot. 

What Universal will need to survive, much less thrive, is a permanent change in movie going habits as a result of the lockdown. Which actually seems pretty likely. The lockdown has enabled a degree of work-from-home that makes it finally practical and productive in areas where it previously wasn't. Cube farms and bad office coffee may become things of the past.

It's reasonable to think some habits will remain when the country returns to normal. Takeout instead of going to the restaurant, for example. Think of PVOD as takeout for the multiplex. And the multiplex will not be doing so hot regardless.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:47 AM, Bazza said:

What?  Nobody told me about this!!  What drinks am I serving?  Do I do veggie trays and dip?  Do I get a 10' party sub?  Should I make my famous cheeseball?

One thing Universal can do is the same thing all the studios need to do -- make more attractive movies, whether you're making them for home or for the multiplex. I've sat in enough near-empty auditoriums to know that weekday screenings are not making money for the studios or the theaters unless it's an Avengers-level blockbuster. It takes a dedicated moviegoer to go at those times.

Now if Disney did something like that, that would make AMC and NATO sweat.

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

What?  Nobody told me about this!!  What drinks am I serving?  Do I do veggie trays and dip?  Do I get a 10' party sub?  Should I make my famous cheeseball?

A 10' sub, I'm there.

What are the rest of you going to eat?

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

Popcorn.