Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The films unfortunately have to tread the line between more of the same, plus something different, because 1) to keep the actors & production interested, and 2) if it was exactly the same the audience is like, “ok whatever”. 

I recently watched the Pink Panther films which are a good example of the above. 

OK, let's consider...

23 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Spider-Man making over a billion world wide draws a pretty stark comparison between it and the previous three MCU films.  Some characters are just more liked, and they also went with a more reliable cast and crew for this one as well.  The formula is this:

1) Pick a director who loves the material

Agree 100%.

and is an established quality

So we will never have any new Directors?  What was James Gunn's track record with Supers before he directed GoTG?  How many had Joss Whedon directed before Avengers?

2) Cast it with great talent

Agree.  That does not mean proven talent.  Who else would have hired RDJ?  Tom Holland wasn't exactly a household name either.

3) Write a solid, enjoyable story that honors the source material and the fans

Honours, sure.  But as I recall the source material, Peter Parker had no real friends in high school.  His early crushes/girlfriends were Betty Brant (a secretary, not a fellow student), Liz Allen (a white blonde), Gwen Stacy (ditto) and Mary Jane Watson (a white redhead). His Aunt was elderly and frail, as I recall, and never knew Peter was Spider-man (certainly not in his high school days).  I don't recall any Filipinos in his high school classes, but I do recall Flash Thompson, a red-haired white jock. 

Some might say the various castings are

checking off special identity and narrative boxes.

but I'd say they

2) Cast it with great talent

and

4) Focus on entertainment

Finally...

Oh, it also helps if you stick with beloved, time-tested characters.

So ditch those teachers, that high school buddy "Ned Leeds" and any father figure for Peter Parker?

And we certainly would never want any new characters creeping into the MCU, or the comics for that matter!  In fact, the movies should stick to high-profile characters like the Hulk (how did his movie do again?), not B-Listers like Iron Man and Thor, much less more minor characters like Hawkeye, GoTG or Black Panther.

Did I get all that right?

On 12/28/2021 at 10:54 AM, Hugh Neilson said:

Honours, sure.  But as I recall the source material, Peter Parker had no real friends in high school.  His early crushes/girlfriends were Betty Brant (a secretary, not a fellow student), Liz Allen (a white blonde), Gwen Stacy (ditto) and Mary Jane Watson (a white redhead). His Aunt was elderly and frail, as I recall, and never knew Peter was Spider-man (certainly not in his high school days).  I don't recall any Filipinos in his high school classes, but I do recall Flash Thompson, a red-haired white jock. 

Even conceding this...the source material changes so often that, to me, details like this are meaningless.  Marvel isn't as bad as DC, but the stories are still on a drunkard's walk, if you look at em over the course of decades.  

How many black characters existed *at all* in 1962?  Much less Latino, Puerto Rican, Filipino, etc. etc. etc.  Those limitations would be completely unreasonable when the story's set today.  That's a major change in the underlying premises of the world...and the audience.

Introducing friends/expected romantic interests 'earlier than' in the comics is also dictated by the medium.  There's only so much time in each movie;  the more you want to tell the main story, the less you can move background aspects forward.  People want to see MJ or Gwen earlier, rather than later.  Similar things with Dr. Strange...how long, in the comics, did it take before we met Wong and Mordo?  And I think they adjusted Wong's role a bit.  No big deal, to me;  it's part of the process of adapting to the medium.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:27 PM, unclevlad said:

People want to see MJ or Gwen earlier, rather than later.  Similar things with Dr. Strange...how long, in the comics, did it take before we met Wong and Mordo?  And I think they adjusted Wong's role a bit.  No big deal, to me;  it's part of the process of adapting to the medium.

Wong was Dr Strange's butler in the first story in 63. Mordo was explained when they did Strange's origin. Wong's and Mordo's backstories were filled in as subplots to ongoing crisises

CES 

Every single time Andrew Garfield lied about being in Spider-Man: No Way Home
https://www.popbuzz.com/tv-film/features/andrew-garfield-spider-man-no-way-home-interviews/

“I think we can all agree that Andrew Garfield is The Moment.

This year, the actor will probably earn himself another Oscar nomination in 2022 for his incredible turn as composer Jonathan Larson in Tick, Tick... Boom!, but the role he should actually be getting a nomination for this year?

The role of 'Man Desperately Trying To Convince World That He's Absolutely, Categorically, Definitely NOT Returning As Peter Parker In Spider-Man: No Way Home', a character who he so brilliantly portrayed in every single one of his interviews over the past 12 months.“

3 hours ago, Bazza said:

Every single time Andrew Garfield lied about being in Spider-Man: No Way Home
https://www.popbuzz.com/tv-film/features/andrew-garfield-spider-man-no-way-home-interviews/

“I think we can all agree that Andrew Garfield is The Moment.

This year, the actor will probably earn himself another Oscar nomination in 2022 for his incredible turn as composer Jonathan Larson in Tick, Tick... Boom!, but the role he should actually be getting a nomination for this year?

The role of 'Man Desperately Trying To Convince World That He's Absolutely, Categorically, Definitely NOT Returning As Peter Parker In Spider-Man: No Way Home', a character who he so brilliantly portrayed in every single one of his interviews over the past 12 months.“

He's the Anti-Tom-Holland.