Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

4 hours ago, Twilight said:

I'd imagine Kevin Smith signed on because he actually wanted to work on He-Man stuff.  He certainly seems to be putting more thought into plot and characters then Filmation ever did.

Hahahaha. *breathes* hahahaha. 

The original animated series had a Bible written in advance. As a “did-hard” fan you should have known this. Read it yourself: https://mysteriesofgreyskull.tripod.com/Articles/MOTUbible.htm

The original series also had heroes and values that are lacking in Smith’s pastiche/fan-fiction. 

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

The original series also had heroes and values that are lacking in Smith’s pastiche/fan-fiction. 

I argued with a friend about the series. I said how much epic is Prince Adam who leaves Preternia to save the world again? He was there because because of his it was his just reward for being He-man. Also the telling of the story through Teela isn’t as bad as it seems. Since it is called Revelations and Teela never knew his secret (like the viewers), it makes sense that she learns (as then we learn) those revelations. 

Now that being said, I did have a horrible idea that to be “modern” that if they make Teela the next Champion AND when she transforms she turns into a muscular man. Well then I won’t like the series. BUT as for now, I didn’t see anything that wondered away from what was previously shown. For example it took me a moment to remember that the queen did learn of Adams secret in the original show.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Oh sure, its not uniquely terrible, its just not something worth getting worked up over the story being betrayed or something.

Again, because you have no vested interest in. sure that’s an easy thing to say. However to the die hard fans? That is a different story. It doesn’t matter if the the original is “crap” by any standards.  It’s the emotional attachment that counts.  For example back to BW, I know who Task Master is but I don’t have an attachment to him. (I have don’t have nothing against him either). That’s why the change in BW doesn’t bother me. However I can see why some fans can be outraged though. 

These reboots are trying to cash in on nostalgia. They are trying to grab the old fan because that is guaranteed money. The problem is the old fan doesn't want things that don't line up with what they want. Like if you have a property where the hero is supercompetent, can always get out of any situation, is a quick thinker, knows stuff that no one else knows like Derek Flint for example. And your marketing is on how cool Flint is to grab the old fan. But the movie is Flint's harem actually being the heroes. The old fan is not going to like that, and when word spreads around, the movie will lose traction.

You have to be able to grab new fans, and if the movie isn't written well enough, the new fans won't like it either.

That will cause your movie to bomb.

This is what happened to Masters of the Universe. Kevin Smith told everybody He-Man will be front in center. All the trailers have He-man front in center. When it leaked that He-man was not going to be the star, Smith was like that's not true. Then when the show drops and Teela is the star, he basically tells people to quit crying. Now Teela's girlfriend is rumored to be the new He-man.

The problem is Netflix has a new MOTU with a different studio in the works for next year, and a live action movie from what I hear after that. Will this next show capture anything for Netflix, or will people go you burned me once, I know enough not to touch the stove again?

This could have been another She-Ra where the show runners said we don't know anything about the character but we're going to do the best we can with the 50 episodes netflix ordered. Instead we get a showrunner who said I hate the hero of the show like Scott Buck and Iron Fist.

CES        

On 8/3/2021 at 11:25 AM, Twilight said:

Yes, the "heart" of the half hour toy commercial.  I mean don't get me wrong, I liked the original shows and all but Filmation made them on the cheap.  They weren't some labor of love, Filmation was cashing in on something that was hot at the time.  The reboot shows for both franchises blew them out of the water with ease.

Kind of belittling of the writing work of Larry DiTillio, a gaming buddy of Mike Pondsmith. He didn’t like me, but I did not hold that against him as he was a very good television writer. He wrote many of the MOTU scripts and kept the tone and focus through the show. 

In general, though, Inwasnt a fan of the show, as I was too old for it. I watched it occasionally, as an aspiring animator. It wasn’t badly done, just not  my thing. However Inam very sympathetic to the old fans, as one more primarily aimed at boys, and the hero’s journey, was once again turned into a female empowerment story, where the men are diminished or sidelined. Just like Dr. Who, and recent Star Wars, among others. So tired of the current year(s). 

57 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Kind of belittling of the writing work of Larry DiTillio, a gaming buddy of Mike Pondsmith. He didn’t like me, but I did not hold that against him as he was a very good television writer. He wrote many of the MOTU scripts and kept the tone and focus through the show. 

In general, though, Inwasnt a fan of the show, as I was too old for it. I watched it occasionally, as an aspiring animator. It wasn’t badly done, just not  my thing. However Inam very sympathetic to the old fans, as one more primarily aimed at boys, and the hero’s journey, was once again turned into a female empowerment story, where the men are diminished or sidelined. Just like Dr. Who, and recent Star Wars, among others. So tired of the current year(s). 

Dr Who? So always a bridesmaid, never a Runaway Bride? I guess the writers are just a bunch of Bad Wolfs for wanting to feature women in their show.

I never liked MOTU. It was one of a number of things that had the patronising special message at the end. The Power Rangers had the same problem. Well that and the fact that it was utter garbage.

I liked Battle of the Planets despite the addition of 7 Zark 7 as they never used the full abilities in each show i.e. the fiery phoenix. And as the full story was never shown (at least in Britain) you had the mystery of whether Zoltar was a man or a woman when the team almost captured him. (I know this was explained in the show just never in ones shown here.)

20 hours ago, Bazza said:

Hahahaha. *breathes* hahahaha. 

The original animated series had a Bible written in advance. As a “did-hard” fan you should have known this. Read it yourself: https://mysteriesofgreyskull.tripod.com/Articles/MOTUbible.htm

Right, I bought the MOTU Minicomic Collection from Dark Horse, the MOTU Character Guide and World Compendium from Dark Horse, my book shelf is currently decorated with MOTU figures but tell me again how I'm not a diehard fan. 🤪Face facts man, the original show was a paint by numbers production and the character bible was ignored for the most part.  I mean sure I liked the original series well enough but it was only ever adequate, with it occasionally reaching above average when they cribbed directly from the minicomics.  The reboot was far better in terms of action, characterization and storyline.  Heck the original show didn't even try to incorporate most of the characters from the franchise.

18 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I argued with a friend about the series. I said how much epic is Prince Adam who leaves Preternia to save the world again? He was there because because of his it was his just reward for being He-man. Also the telling of the story through Teela isn’t as bad as it seems. Since it is called Revelations and Teela never knew his secret (like the viewers), it makes sense that she learns (as then we learn) those revelations. 

Now that being said, I did have a horrible idea that to be “modern” that if they make Teela the next Champion AND when she transforms she turns into a muscular man. Well then I won’t like the series. BUT as for now, I didn’t see anything that wondered away from what was previously shown. For example it took me a moment to remember that the queen did learn of Adams secret in the original show.

More likely she'll end up the new Sorceress, should the original Sorceress fall.  She is the Sorceress' daughter after all and had the reboot gotten it's, justly deserved in my opinion, third season that's likely what would have happened.

On 8/3/2021 at 12:07 AM, zslane said:

Oh, I'm sure you're right about that, and while I quite enjoyed the movie myself, I certainly didn't expect it to get into the billion-dollar club. But let's look at some numbers. Ant-Man and the Wasp had RT scores of 87%/75%, while Captain Marvel had RT scores of 79%/45%. Ant-Man and the Wasp outperformed Captain Marvel on RT (that 30% differential in audience score is painful) but brought in only half its box office. Thor: Ragnarok had vastly superior RT scores and yet fell short of Captain Marvel's box office results. I know that RT is kinda broken, but it isn't so deeply flawed that its numbers don't have something meaningful to say here. If Captain Marvel hadn't hitched a ride on the Endgame hype train, it is profoundly unlikely that its 79%/45% numbers would have resulted in a $1B box office total. Hell, given its RT score, I'm not sure it would even have done as well as Ant-Man and the Wasp if given its slot on the release schedule.

I am not sure I put too much stock in Rotten Tomato scores.  Because of the way they count bad reviews vs. good ones, the result can be pretty skewed.  At one point in time recently, the best movie ever made, according to RT scores, was Paddington 2.  Now that may have been a swell movie, but I don't think anyone would pick it as the best movie of all time. 

The RT Score echoes the GB scores. Critics love it. Fans and MRAs don't

CES

5 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Dr Who? So always a bridesmaid, never a Runaway Bride? I guess the writers are just a bunch of Bad Wolfs for wanting to feature women in their show.

Foster and Chibnall are gone according to some headlines I saw. I don't know if it's true, or not

CES 

@Twilightoh I totally see Teela being the new Sorceress. She is set up for it. Bower in this new environment. Well if it happens as I stated before, I’d be sad but not really surprised.

4 hours ago, zslane said:

When did He-Man join the MCU? Did I miss something? 😉

That is why I didn’t bring up He-man nor Star Wars. However the same ideology that is infecting MCU seems to be infecting all other franchises.

6 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

@Twilightoh I totally see Teela being the new Sorceress. She is set up for it. Bower in this new environment. Well if it happens as I stated before, I’d be sad but not really surprised.

That is why I didn’t bring up He-man nor Star Wars. However the same ideology that is infecting MCU seems to be infecting all other franchises.

Not just in the new show.  She's been the Sorceress' daughter since the minicomics after all, the only thing that's changed are the specifics of Teela's birth.

12 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Depending on the property, absolutely. Something meant for boys should stay that way. There are shoes for girls too, and they have a right to succeed and stay that way as well. 

Kevin Feige “embarrassed” over Disney’s response to Scarlett Johansson suit

https://www.salon.com/2021/08/04/kevin-feige-embarrassed-over-disneys-response-to-scarlett-johansson-suit_partner-2/

It looks like the profits from streaming the films goes to studio executives only, and those used to back end bonuses are unhappy. There may be strikes over this in the near future b