Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"But Dorothy, you've always had Wolverine in the MCU. You just didn't see him."

Its inevitable that new characters are introduced without having been seen before.  As is clear reading, I am not talking about that.  Obviously in context and from several times repeating it, I'm talking about having characters act in a world as if nothing else exists.  No Avengers.  No Spider-Man.  None of the other characters show up, interact, or appear to even exist in this universe for the Eternals.  Just them and their bad guys.  Like they are a totally separate universe, in another setting.

Although you do have to admit having this huge group of evil guys always there and never seen before is a bit difficult to swallow.  That's why I always have had problems with writers dropping characters like Apocalypse and Sinister into the existing continuity "they've always been around and super powerful and active!"  Uh huh. One guy like Wolverine?  Eh, easy to miss in a whole planet of seven billion people.  A huge group of super powerful beings acting in the world but nobody noticed?

The FF are easy to drop in. Just make it an origin story or give a summary of their origin as a recent occurrence.

The X-Men are tougher. The MCU couldn't even use the word "mutant" until this deal was worked out. And as Christopher R Taylor said, several, actually most of their main villains have histories that date back to WW II or earlier. Plus it's going to be harder to sell the "Mutant Hysteria" in a world that's had 2 alien invasions. One of which wiped out half of mankind for five years. The Post-Snap world really needs to be fleshed out more to show how people are dealing with the upheavals. 

Eternals could help with that at least, even if it disappoints in other ways.

1 hour ago, Grailknight said:

The FF are easy to drop in. Just make it an origin story or give a summary of their origin as a recent occurrence.

The X-Men are tougher. The MCU couldn't even use the word "mutant" until this deal was worked out. And as Christopher R Taylor said, several, actually most of their main villains have histories that date back to WW II or earlier. Plus it's going to be harder to sell the "Mutant Hysteria" in a world that's had 2 alien invasions. One of which wiped out half of mankind for five years. The Post-Snap world really needs to be fleshed out more to show how people are dealing with the upheavals. 

I'm increasingly dreading the "Multiverse" stuff that keeps popping up in the MCU discussions.   I worry that the powers that be at Marvel are eyeing all these new characters but are starting to feel constrained by the continuity they built up.

I'm a bit worried that it will be an excuse to mix and match whatever they want without worrying about strict continuity.  Like preserving Magneto's Concentration Camp background while explaining where he was during the last 20+ MCU films by just saying that timelines are messed up after the Disney+ Loki show or What If? and the upcoming Doctor Strange movie are going to let them mix and match alternate universes freely. 

So all the MCU stuff still happened, but now the Fantastic Four have also been living in the Baxter Building in NYC for the last 10 years.

The pros and cons of strict Continuity are an old topic in Comic Fandom.. but the MCU has gone pretty hard with a strong continuity & I kinda hate to see them eject it.  (All the stuff from the previous Spiderman movies rumored to be appearing in the new Marvel Spiderman movie is not making me feel better about this theory)

7 hours ago, Bazza said:

Today if i wanted to, I could see the Eternals film. But at this stage, not going to bother. Maybe in a few weeks, just to see it on the big screen, like all the others, even the ones that i've not as enthused by. 

To be honest, I haven’t been big on seeing too many movies in the theater.  Even before the coof.  

A movie has to really really interest me for me to deal with all the a$$hats who just cannot shut the H up while a movie is playing.  I do think the big screen can deliver a better experience provided the rest of the audience actually understands how to be an audience.

Reminds me of a idiot complaining about people not stopping at crosswalks.  We went to another meeting in another building and I discovered that there actually are people who do not understand how to operate a basic crosswalk.  Standing 6 feet back intently looking at your phone signals everyone you are NOT planning to cross.  Stepping up to the curb, head up and scanning traffic says "I want to cross". 

The more time passes, the less I want to deal with the stupid.

For movies I am fine waiting until I can watch it for a reasonable price 8 to 14 months down the line.

An easy method of bringing them into the MCU is to have Reed's experiment push them through the dimensions, giving them powers, popping out from the normal world into the MCU.  Just use the word "quantum" a lot.

X-Men is tougher. They have always kind of felt like they were in an isolated universe to begin with, as themes and events there rarely have any impact on the rest of the marvel universe.  They very rarely had any crossovers, unless they were special events.

5 hours ago, Spence said:

@Eternals 

I find it funny that there are zero reviews on Rotten Tomatoes (I don't consider advertisements by "critics" as reviews). 

Not a single audience review even though it has been out a bit. 

It must be really bad....

Official release date is November 5 (tomorrow, in my time zone, as I write this). There are some advance showings tonight in many theaters. 

Audience reviews on RT are here, (I'm guessing that the verified reviews were advance showings, or in the Eastern or Central Time zone): https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eternals/reviews?type=verified_audience&intcmp=rt-scorecard_audience-score-reviews

17 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Official release date is November 5 (tomorrow, in my time zone, as I write this). There are some advance showings tonight in many theaters. 

Audience reviews on RT are here, (I'm guessing that the verified reviews were advance showings, or in the Eastern or Central Time zone): https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eternals/reviews?type=verified_audience&intcmp=rt-scorecard_audience-score-reviews

OK,

Maybe not so funny :nonp:

I'm just peeved that this stomach bug/food poisoning I'm currently enjoying threw a wrench in my plans to see it Friday night. Trying to avoid spoilers has required increasing effort over the last few weeks (it seems like Marvel has released enough clips to comprise an entire movie). and it seems like everyone geek-inclined wants to talk about it.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

They don't hate it so much as are disappointed and find it boring, which doesn't sound very promising

Well on RT the critics are at 48% but the audience is at 84%. 

I concluded years ago that the official "critic" is usually a paid shill or mentally damaged since they are usually dead wrong about movies.

Generally I have discovered that the less a "critic" likes a show the better it usually is.  If they are finding it "boring" I will guess the movie has some actual dialog and isn't one continuous explosion.  

I'll admit that the trailers didn't do anything to make me want to see it, but I've seen good movies in the past that had crappy trailers. 

All in all it will be a while before I see it though.   The last theater in the state was closed by lawsuit a couple years ago.  Apparently a 21 or older only theater will end the known universe as we know it.   

I saw Eternals today.  Given the clunky nature of the comic book source material, IMHO this is the best adaption that could have been make.  It takes the source material seriously and never plays it for camp.  The actors are all very good, though given the large cast some characters get bet fleshed out than other.  There is humor but never at inappropriate times.  The stakes are huge both for the world and the characters personally and they give them the the weight that they are due.

Viewers who go in looking for another MCU action comedy are going to be disappointed.  But viewers who like comic books and don't feel a need to wink wink nudge nudge the story may enjoy Eternals.