Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First movie Thor has a pretty major journey and change in him learning to be more humble and focused on helping those around him, but who asks for the villain in a movie to have major character arc??  A New Hope was great, but Darth Vader didn't learn an important lesson before the death star blew up!

Frankly, I don't find characters with flippy-floppy personalities to make for great storytelling anyway*, and the Superhero Genre is not exactly all about the protagonists' personal journeys and character changes.

*They feel more like "my character is chaotic neutral so I can play him like a pawn who always does whatever I think will be most tactically advantageous and is never restricted by any moral code, beliefs or considerations outside what would be the best tactical decision right now".

14 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

embracing ones essential core is a change

Only if rejecting one's essential core is established in the beginning of the movie/story as an elementary source of dramatic conflict for the character. And it won't appear as change (i.e., character development) unless the audience is let in on that rejection right up front, because it won't be apparent that it was the events of the story that produced said change.

Well, I'll have to drudge up this part of the thread in a year or so when I get to see it.   I just can't bring myself to go through the effort for what have been called movies in the last 10 15 years. 

I used to get super hyped for movies and even wait in lines to see them.  But they are just not what they were. 

Now they are all glitzy and smooth but hollow.

No longer memorable.

I will even forget entire scenes unless reminded within a few weeks because they are just meh. 

I really wonder if there is anyone left in Hollywood that even understands the definition of dialog.  

I actually watch more K-Drama these days because their subtitles seem to carry more umpf. 

K-Drams and movies/shows made before 2000 seem to be my go to. 

On 11/6/2021 at 11:13 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

The thing that confuses me is... why?  Why make this?  ... I don't get it.  Of all the possible projects... The Eternals??? 

I had similar feelings when Guardians of the Galaxy came out. I mean, these guys are a D-list title at best. Why give them a movie?

It turned out all right, and I expect this will too.

29 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I had similar feelings when Guardians of the Galaxy came out. I mean, these guys are a D-list title at best. Why give them a movie?

It turned out all right, and I expect this will too.

There are advantages to using D-listers.  Make a change to the icons, and watch the furore.  But we can make Shang-Chi a flying energy blaster and people are quite happy with it.  There's a greater ability to adapt the characters to the medium, and to anticipated audience reaction.  We want more female characters?  OK.  Makkarri, Sprite and Ikaris are female now.  Would that have worked with Flash and Cyborg?

4 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

There are advantages to using D-listers.  Make a change to the icons, and watch the furore.  But we can make Shang-Chi a flying energy blaster and people are quite happy with it.  There's a greater ability to adapt the characters to the medium, and to anticipated audience reaction.  We want more female characters?  OK.  Makkarri, Sprite and Ikaris are female now.  Would that have worked with Flash and Cyborg?

I think if Marvel tried to make Flash and Cyborg female, they might have had a problem with lawsuits from DC.  :winkgrin:

Okay you guys can talk now.

Shang-Chi greatly exceeded my admittedly low expectations.  It worked as both a wuxia film and a MCU movie, and managed to tell a new story on top of that.  If I try real hard I can think of imperfections, but nothing that pulled me out of the movie or is otherwise even worth bringing up here.  Simu isn't Jackie or Donnie but he held up the action sequences surprisingly well, and I liked all the callbacks to classic martial arts movie tropes.

15 hours ago, Old Man said:

Okay you guys can talk now.

Shang-Chi greatly exceeded my admittedly low expectations.  It worked as both a wuxia film and a MCU movie, and managed to tell a new story on top of that.  If I try real hard I can think of imperfections, but nothing that pulled me out of the movie or is otherwise even worth bringing up here.  Simu isn't Jackie or Donnie but he held up the action sequences surprisingly well, and I liked all the callbacks to classic martial arts movie tropes.

I generally liked it. My only major gripe was the immortal supervillain with super powers who could have conquered the entire world before 1500 (and that seemed to be his goal), but instead turns into a reclusive crimelord. Um...okay?

2 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

I generally liked it. My only major gripe was the immortal supervillain with super powers who could have conquered the entire world before 1500 (and that seemed to be his goal), but instead turns into a reclusive crimelord. Um...okay?

That really bothered me, too! Glad I'm not the only one. 

My only major gripe was the immortal supervillain with super powers who could have conquered the entire world before 1500 (and that seemed to be his goal), but instead turns into a reclusive crimelord. Um...okay?

Yeah its a pretty silly idea, but used a lot in comic books.  Immortal incredibly powerful beings who do petty crap and never carry out any kind of plots until the heroes show up.  "I was around 200 AD, and was a potter, not using my powers to conquer the world or anything."

Their reinterpretation of the Mandarin and the bracelets-- er, rings is pretty weak too, but they were terrified of any charges of racism or comparing to the Mandarin in the comics.

The line about naming their leader after an orange though... uh, Mandarin is a Chinese term for a specific sort of person, its not some western creation and its not about an orange.  They just cannot get past the crap from IM 3.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

The line about naming their leader after an orange though... uh, Mandarin is a Chinese term for a specific sort of person, its not some western creation and its not about an orange.

Mandarin is not a Chinese term.  It is a Western term for a Chinese bureaucrat.

This Shang-Chi film is all the more impressive when you consider the history of the character (and especially his original father).  Replacing the jewelry with chi sau rings was only one of many small touches along these lines.