[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

I abhor violence, but...if someone came up to you in plainclothes (including military surplus camouflage...which many people wear as a fashion statement), did not announce who they are (or who they work for) and attempted to assault/restrain you, couldn't you make a case that self-defense was obviously warranted at that point?

You could. People have shot police serving no knock warrants on the wrong house and walked without being charged, for just those reasons.

On the other hand, you're not likely to be able to put up much useful resistance in the moment, so a lawsuit after the fact might be the more prudent course of action. (Assuming the intent isn't to permanently disappear you, of course. Or even semi-permanently.)

9 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

On the other hand, you're not likely to be able to put up much useful resistance in the moment, so a lawsuit after the fact might be the more prudent course of action. (Assuming the intent isn't to permanently disappear you, of course. Or even semi-permanently.)

I agree: live to fight another day and all that. However, if you don't know the person you're dealing with and they're attempting to kidnap you (from all outward signs, it is a kidnapping), how can you risk your life on their intentions? I've read that it is far better to fight back, because your chances of surviving sharply drop once you decide to go with your abductor.

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Could you please clarify what you mean by, "attacked?"

Jo Ann Hardesty and some of her staff were at a demonstration when DHS and the local police started tear gassing them. She is pissed. The letter to the mayor that Cancer posted is like give me the police if you can't do anything about it. If she does get command of the police, they should be afraid of any kind of audit from her office

CES

3 hours ago, csyphrett said:

Jo Ann Hardesty and some of her staff were at a demonstration when DHS and the local police started tear gassing them. She is pissed. The letter to the mayor that Cancer posted is like give me the police if you can't do anything about it. If she does get command of the police, they should be afraid of any kind of audit from her office

CES

It doesn't help that mayor Ted Wheeler is running for re-election and has to face a runoff in November. Before all this started to go south, he was an almost prohibitive favorite for a second term.

Portland hasn't had a multi-term major since Vera Katz from 1993 through 2004. We've burned through four mayors since.

Somehow I don't expect Wheeler to get my vote for a second term...

As a Portlander, I find this all very difficult to comprehend. Some parts are easy -- we all knew that at some point there would be a federal overreaction that justifies itself by taking the situation and making it worse. And we all know that this administration has a particularly black-and-white (if you will pardon the simile) view of the demonstrators. So sadly little of this is surprising. But it is terrifying to be reminded how little responsibility is used here, as opposed to (dubious) authority.

3 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Doesn't surprise me at all. The Trump administration has been getting away with literally anything they want for years. Is it any surprise that they think they're untouchable now? We've allowed it and they're going to take full advantage of that.

It's not just that.  How much of the broad police abuse can be traced back to an "I don't care what you do, I want to be secure" mentality?  The cops' bad actors are doing that somewhere else...so "not my problem."  Some of this is also likely responsible for the US incarceration rate.