Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

9 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

'Terror Granny' arrested in Germany over alleged plot to restore Kaiser

So did anyone have this on their apocalypse bingo card?  I know I didn't.

Considering the details of the 'plot' this group had, I don't see it rising above the comic interlude level.  Just a few...little...gaps in the plan...like, you know, gaps in aged Swiss cheese.  Not the baby stuff, the good stuff.

Ohhh man.

Anyone else see these new ads from a group called Citizens for Sanity?

Right-wing fearmongering, straw man arguments, sweeping generalizations.  

It might be that I'm watching the ball game on FS1;  since equal time is no longer required, I believe the ads on there, or on Fox (the football games) have been heavily one-sided against the Democrats.  It's possible I'm just blowing off the Democratic ads...they're basically forgettable, whereas the Republican ads grate like fingernails on a slate chalkboard.  But I don't *think* so.  

And there's still 3 more weeks to go.  Yeah....it's first Tuesday after first Monday, and Nov. 1st is a Tuesday.  Ugh..............

On 10/16/2022 at 6:48 PM, Old Man said:

Do you have a link to that report?  Because there's also this report showing that Fox News is directly responsible for killing its viewers during the pandemic.

I don't have a link to the report. I just saw it mentioned on a tube commentator I follow. Editors and Publishers magazine reported that Fox News fails on its checklist of reliable news reporting. One of the staff in another report said Fox News basically can't put people to factcheck because it costs too much money.

CES 

2 hours ago, csyphrett said:

I don't have a link to the report. I just saw it mentioned on a tube commentator I follow. Editors and Publishers magazine reported that Fox News fails on its checklist of reliable news reporting. One of the staff in another report said Fox News basically can't put people to factcheck because it costs too much money.

CES 

Can't afford to fact check, or don't want to fact check?

In depth report on Florida governor DeSantis' kidnapping of Venezuelan asylum seekers in San Antonio and flying them to Martha's Vineyard

- “The money is going to be in the Bill Miller [restaurant] near your house. It’s going to be behind the dumpster outside in a white envelope.”

- Perla Huerta was employed by Vertol Systems and has since disappeared

- Vertol Systems was awarded a $12M contract with Florida for "relocation services"

- Vertol Systems has an extensive record of donating to Florida Republicans, including Jay Trumbull Jr, the Florida appropriations committee chair

- It is illegal for government contractors to donate to political causes or campaigns

21 hours ago, Old Man said:

Can't afford to fact check, or don't want to fact check?

the statement is they didn't want to fact check because it cost too much money and it was easier to make stuff up to propandagize (I don't know if this is a word because spellcheck says it isn't), so both maybe?

CES

Huh. My morning paper had an article about Liz Truss defiantly saying she "wasn't a quitter." So much for bravado.

On the BBC a day or two ago, I heard an MP snidely say that in the modern Conservative Party, everyone gets to by Prime Minister for 15 minutes.

I had been wondering about the "shortest premiership" thing. Yesterday I checked my almanac's list of British PMs and found that several of them lasted less than a year. I was planning to look up the specific lengths today.

Dean Shomshak

20 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

Huh. My morning paper had an article about Liz Truss defiantly saying she "wasn't a quitter." So much for bravado.

On the BBC a day or two ago, I heard an MP snidely say that in the modern Conservative Party, everyone gets to by Prime Minister for 15 minutes.

I had been wondering about the "shortest premiership" thing. Yesterday I checked my almanac's list of British PMs and found that several of them lasted less than a year. I was planning to look up the specific lengths today.

Dean Shomshak

May and Johnson were just over 3 years in length.

Gordon Brown was nearly 3 years until he lost an election

Edward Heath was nearly 4 years

Harold Wilson's second go round was just over 2 years

Callaghan was just over 3 years

Alec Douglas Hume was just under a year

Antony Eden was about 1.75 years

Churchill's premiership in the 50s was 3 and a half years.

Stanley Baldwin was nearly 2 years

Neville Chamberlain was nearly 3 years

And in succession for under a year in the 1920s we had Bonar Law, Baldwin and Ramsey McDonald

Only one of these was caused by death (Bonar Law). And of these Ramsey McDonald, Callaghan, Wilson and Brwon were Labour. The others all Conservative.