Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

57 minutes ago, death tribble said:

It could not do any worse. This is what happens when you trust a political party and its members to decide who the prime minister should be. And not the electorate. They can continue this game of musical chairs until 2025 when there has to be an election.

Tribble for PM!  He's had years of experience as NGD President.  Make him do the job!

EDIT: Truss' defiance was yesterday's paper. Today's paper featured Vladimir Putin and his rubber-stamp parliament declaring martial law in occupied Ukraine, and emergency powers for all of Russia's regional governors. Experts speculate about laying the groundwork for even greater repression. I wonder if Putin isn't taking a step (albeit perhaps unintentionally) into turning governors into provincial warlords. And that never ends well for the central government, or the populace at large.

Dean Shomshak

43 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

EDIT: Truss' defiance was yesterday's paper. Today's paper featured Vladimir Putin and his rubber-stamp parliament declaring martial law in occupied Ukraine, and emergency powers for all of Russia's regional governors. Experts speculate about laying the groundwork for even greater repression. I wonder if Putin isn't taking a step (albeit perhaps unintentionally) into turning governors into provincial warlords. And that never ends well for the central government, or the populace at large.

To review the online speculation I've been seeing around this:

• The martial law and "evacuations" are a cover for mass abduction of Ukrainian civilians and for the impending retreat from right bank Kherson
  • Kidnapped Ukrainian men might be mobilized to fight against their own country
  • Thousands of mobiks are being ferried into right bank Kherson to serve as literal meat shields for the not-totally-untrained conscripts that are withdrawing across the river at the same time
  • Russia has been laying the propaganda groundwork for a false flag op to blow the Khakovka dam, flooding Kherson and preventing the UA from pursuing across the river
  • Russia is evacuating the area around the Zaporizhzhia NPP for unspecified reasons

Putin puts all other Bond villains to shame.

7 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Dean Shomshak

Putin already has one warlord running Chechnya -- world media even call him that -- and a puppet dictator over Belarus. But as Putin's domestic position becomes more fragile, he's seen open criticism of Russia's war effort from both Alexander Lukashenko and Ramzan Kadyrov, although not yet of Putin himself. The loyalty of dictators and warlords is based on fear and greed, and Putin's ability to feed both of those emotions is waning.

2 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

This is hilarious. 

Right-wing superhero movie ends 'in disaster' after $1 million in funders' cash goes missing

https://www.rawstory.com/rebels-run/

I try to avoid stereotyping all contemporary American right-wingers as gullible and stupid, but damned if they don't make that really hard.🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

This is hilarious. 

Right-wing superhero movie ends 'in disaster' after $1 million in funders' cash goes missing

https://www.rawstory.com/rebels-run/

well heck...if they don't catch the scammer who set up the fake financial firm, his personal Rebel's Run will turn out to be quite successful.

(Mind, I hope he does get caught.  

And just because I love doing this...

Ohana Capital Financial, Provo UT...is a branch of Ohana Capital Financial in Wyoming...but the Wyoming branch's listed address is in Utah.  The Wyoming branch fell delinquent on their taxes in 2020;  they were dissolved, but later reinstated in 2021.  The branches were incorporated only a couple weeks apart.  Oh, and the same people incorporated a branch in Hawaii, a couple months after the first 2.

Yeahhhh...the shenanigans going on there would at least make me talk to a financial pro before I gave them any serious cash.  Especially the tax delinquency.  And this took me longer to type up here, than it did to find out.

On 10/20/2022 at 2:47 AM, BNakagawa said:

A judge has found that some of Eastman's emails are not subject to attorney-client privilege due to the Crime-Fraud Exception...

While this is Good-ish news, "More likely than not" is more than enough wiggle room for Trump and his cronies to delay consequences.

13 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I try to avoid stereotyping all contemporary American right-wingers as gullible and stupid, but damned if they don't make that really hard.🤦‍♂️

A man who styles himself 'Vox Day' (Vox Dei, "Voice of God") sounds so vain he's just setting himself up to be scammed. And the premise of his comic book "Rebel"? <eyeroll>

Though I suppose he and the scammer Wolfgramm could have been in on it together, in which case he is actually very smart and it's just the backers who are stupid.

Dean Shomshak

The Democrats have a real PR problem. They don't know how to counter all of the BS that the Republicans get out there. DeSantis ads are everywhere in Florida. Crist? Not a one. The democrats don't know how to play the modern game. 

Of course, the Republicans don't either, but they have infinite resources to throw at the problem. 

4 hours ago, Hermit said:

While this is Good-ish news, "More likely than not" is more than enough wiggle room for Trump and his cronies to delay consequences.

it's an incremental thing. now that some of Eastman's emails are available to one case, that enters it into the public record, which means other people can use the information in them to see if there are other possible cimes and/or fraud that is hinted at, which could open up more of his emails to public scrutiny, which could hint at other shenanigans, which could implicate more people in more fraud and/or more crimes...

also it shows that 45 signed papers claiming falsehoods in legal documents which is going to bite him in the ass.

12 minutes ago, BNakagawa said:

also it shows that 45 signed papers claiming falsehoods in legal documents which is going to bite him in the ass.

I'll believe it when someone actually handcuffs the man.  He's been boasting about his crimes now for six years and he literally tried to overthrow the government.  Nothing.

"If we must have a tyrant, a robber baron is far better than an Inquisitor. The baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity at some point may be sated; and since he dimly knows he is doing wrong he may possibly repent. But the Inquisitor who mistakes his own cruelty and lust of power and fear for the voice of Heaven will torment us infinitely more because he torments us with the approval of his own conscience and his better impulses appear to him as temptations."

8 hours ago, Hermit said:

But this wasn't a criminal proceeding, it was an evidentiary hearing.  Standards of evidence are less;  opportunities for rebuttal/refutation are more limited, I believe.  

The converse of "less likely" would put heavy brakes onto the proceedings. 

I think this is generally analogous to getting a temporary restraining order...if you can't even get one of those, then you've got NOOOO chance in a trial, even a civil one.

47 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

The one aspect of this that may be positive is that they're exposing their goals and objectives openly.  Makes it somewhat easier to counter.

The negative is, he thinks there's enough support so he can say it openly.....  

On 10/20/2022 at 11:16 PM, unclevlad said:

Ohana Capital Financial, Provo UT...is a branch of Ohana Capital Financial in Wyoming...but the Wyoming branch's listed address is in Utah.  The Wyoming branch fell delinquent on their taxes in 2020;  they were dissolved, but later reinstated in 2021.  The branches were incorporated only a couple weeks apart.  Oh, and the same people incorporated a branch in Hawaii, a couple months after the first 2.

Utah County, where Provo is located, has a reputation as the multi-level marketing capital of the western hemisphere. Amway, essential oils, supplements, you name it. If there's money to be made from your downline, Utah county is the place to establish it.

29 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The one aspect of this that may be positive is that they're exposing their goals and objectives openly.  Makes it somewhat easier to counter.

The negative is, he thinks there's enough support so he can say it openly.....  

That's what terrifies me...

Republican committee sues Google over email spam filters

It's a different (non-Google) mailbox that gets all of the political spam for me, and its rudimentary spam filters learned very quickly to dump the Republican emails into the spam folder (it's a little slower on the DNC emails, though). I was pleasantly surprised to see an advance fee scam letter nestled in the spam folder today. It's nice to see the little grifters trying as well. 

I wouldn't call them pro-spam.  They don't believe anything they send can be spam, because, well, it's from them!!!  

Spam is in the eye of the recipient, tho.  That's something they will never understand.  

This is likely just another angle to their election-steal BS, and fodder for their whole, long-term anti-tech, anti-lib, anti....so many things...rants.