Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

There is a saying I heard once: "If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, yell like Hell."

That's been the strategy of the GOP for the last several years, and the way that strategy manifests itself in electronic communications is via spam.

33 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

How does removing Native children help with fossil fuel access?  Just trying to understand - are they being adopted and then later coerced into allowing land rights?

I've just filled out my ballot, and I'll be driving it down to one of the polling places to drop it off.

One of the ballot questions was about setting up ranked choice voting and allows open primaries, which seems to scare the Republicans the most, so I had to vote for it.

Another question was about putting equal rights into the Nevada Constitution, and this one's been lobbied very heavily as being unfair to female athletes, apparently because there's a massive influx of males transitioning just so that they can get those lucrative women's sports scholarships, and make use of the massive amount of funding that women's athletics programs get*. I've been getting at least one piece of physical mail and several text messages daily on this very subject. The arguments against passage add a few other points, like it may make discriminating against people based on religious views illegal, and it might make abortions legal in Nevada**. Given the quality of those arguments, how can I vote any other way than "Yes"?

*https://www.npr.org/2022/06/24/1107242271/the-ncaa-says-that-funding-for-women-in-college-sports-is-falling-behind

**Which it is, and is actually part of our Nevada Constitution.

On 10/21/2022 at 7:06 PM, unclevlad said:

But this wasn't a criminal proceeding, it was an evidentiary hearing.  Standards of evidence are less;  opportunities for rebuttal/refutation are more limited, I believe.  

Yes. I know. I'm still not wowed.

Folks have been saying 'ooo Trump's in trouble now' or the like for years.  But Mid terms are coming up, and I have a feeling we're going to go from slow to stop.

33 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Yes. I know. I'm still not wowed.

Folks have been saying 'ooo Trump's in trouble now' or the like for years.  But Mid terms are coming up, and I have a feeling we're going to go from slow to stop.

Unfortunately true.  A major component of Trump's approach has been, I think, simply stalling the process;  it can only help him to draw things out.  Particularly with regard to the Congressional hearing;  neither side is in session, unsurprisingly, with the election almost here.

Nothing I haven't heard before, but the NYTimes has run numbers on the demographics of districts of Republican Representatives that voted to reject the 2020 election results.

Their America Is Vanishing. Like Trump, They Insist They Were Cheated. (msn.com)

The most depressing section, though, was this:

In Montgomery County, the largest in the district, the party has been offering weekly screenings since the summer of the film “2000 Mules.” Using faulty arguments, the film alleges that Democrats conspired to stuff ballot drop boxes to engineer Mr. Trump’s defeat.

“The other side always talks about facts, facts, facts, but facts change and facts are whatever you want them to be,” said Jo Anne Price, 70, host of the screenings, accusing news organizations of distorting the truth.

I have no words.

Dean Shomshak

9 hours ago, Starlord said:

How does removing Native children help with fossil fuel access?  Just trying to understand - are they being adopted and then later coerced into allowing land rights?

The belief is that the lawyers are playing the long game. That a ruling against the ICWA would be a stepping stone on the way to rulings that would help their fossil fuel clients.

It is deemed unconstitutional to make a law saying that only white people can adopt white children or only black people can adopt black children.  However, it is perfectly constitutional to make a law saying that the children of foreign nationals living in the US in the event of the loss of the parents should be sent back to the nation of the their parent if it can safely be done and does not harm the children.  

Therefore, a ruling that the ICWA is unconstitutional is a legal precedent against the sovereign status of the tribes.  Precedents like that are useful when you want to argue that you should be allowed to build a pipeline across a reservation or acquire drilling rights on federal land is considered part of a tribal nation. 

“The other side always talks about facts, facts, facts, but facts change and facts are whatever you want them to be,” said Jo Anne Price, 70, host of the screenings, accusing news organizations of distorting the truth.

How do you argue with someone who believes facts change, and are distinct from truth?

14 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

How do you argue with someone who believes facts change, and are distinct from truth?

You can't.  This is Soviet-style oligarchy and control of the press.  Repeat a lie often enough and people will come to believe it.  Bigger lies are easier to believe.  Especially effective are lies about elections, which not only make people believe a particular election was stolen, it causes them to lose faith in the democratic process entirely.  And that's working on both sides, because while Republicans believe elections were stolen, the rest of us can't help but see the gerrymandering and voter suppression and foreign assistance that the Republicans are using to stay in power.  Because they want us to see it and lose faith in the democratic process.

This isn't going to get better until Citizens United is repealed and the Fairness Doctrine is reinstated.  Or billionaires cease to exist.

Ukraine and Russia are accusing each other of preparing to pop a dirty bomb in a false flag operation. This article specifies preparations the Russians are taking to fight in a radioactive environment.

https://www.reuters.com/world/russia-says-its-forces-are-preparing-work-under-radioactive-contamination-2022-10-24/

(That didn't work well in Chernobyl, and I don't trust radiation preparedness to the army that tells conscripts to go buy tampons for first aid)

I wonder how it could be proved who set up a dirty bomb?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/24/politics/congress-democrats-reaction-ukraine-strategy/index.html

I hope that we maintain our resolve on this issue. Russia illegally invaded Ukraine and are guilty of numerous war crimes, many of which are too horrific to describe on this Board. They’ve terrorized and murdered, and are doing their level best to eradicate the very concept of a Ukrainian people.

We do not have boots on the ground, this is money well spent for our National interest in my opinion. Putin will not stop at Ukraine, he’s resolute in the desire to recreate the USSR. This may be the biggest positive foreign policy accomplishment of this administration if they succeed in blunting those ambitions.

10 hours ago, Old Man said:

Define "we".  One major U.S. party is already on record as intending to stop aid to Ukraine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/senate/3696451-gop-leaders-mcconnell-mccarthy-headed-for-collision-on-ukraine-aid/amp/

It would be more accurate to say one party is conflicted on continued aid. I agree the GOP is not to be trusted on this issue, but defunding Ukraine military aid is not an official position at this point for them.

And by “we” I mean the Democratic Party, who I’m registered as a member of. Who are also beginning to waffle in their more wildly progressive membership. If both parties falter… well United States assistance would be pretty limited at that point. I obviously can’t count on the Republicans to fund anything but investigations into the role of Jewish Space Lasers around Kharkiv.

Be nice if someone kept their resolve on this one.

1 hour ago, Iuz the Evil said:

And by “we” I mean the Democratic Party, who I’m registered as a member of. Who are also beginning to waffle in their more wildly progressive membership.

That hasn't been reported in my usual media sources (though I find it sadly plausible). Could you tell more about this, please?

Dean Shomshak