Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

2 hours ago, Cygnia said:

...what is happening to this country?!

Paul Pelosi, speaker’s husband, beaten with hammer at home

I'm sure it was a rhetorical question, but for those of you just tuning in, the answer is "stochastic terrorism":

The man who assaulted Paul Pelosi, the husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, tried to tie him up “until Nancy got home,” according to two sources familiar with the situation. When the police arrived, the assailant was saying he was “waiting for Nancy.”

The intruder confronted the speaker’s husband in their San Francisco home shouting, “Where is Nancy? Where is Nancy?” according to the source.

15 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

I am disappointed, but hardly surprised.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/david-depape-alleged-paul-pelosi-attacker-shared-qanon-beliefs-1234620507/

At the time of his arrest on Friday, DePape, 42, maintained a subscription-model blog where he vented rage over Covid-19 precautions and espoused beliefs shared by the conspiracist QAnon movement. The page also includes dedicated sections for Holocaust denial, climate change denial, transphobia, racism, misogyny, voter fraud conspiracy theories, Second Amendment absolutism, screeds against groomers and “pedos,” and trashing actress Amber Heard, the ex-wife of Johnny Depp.

DePape posted similar hard-right and conspiratorial content on his Facebook page, which the platform deleted on Friday.

In an Aug. 23 post on his personal blog, DePape wrote, “How did I get into all this. Gamer gate it was gamer gate.” Gamergate was an online misogynist harassment campaign that stretched across 2014 and 2015. It originated as a backlash to feminism and women in the video game industry but morphed into a strain of alt-right ideology that many argue radicalized legions of disaffected men.

If you had ANY doubts about Citizens For Sanity...

Twice now during the Series game 1, they've run a "with all the problems, Biden's spent $66B on Ukraine, rather than at home.  And now he's talking about armageddon.  Stop the insanity!"

Or close to that. Even most of the Congressional Republicans have backed off from this line, but they're doubling down.  This one makes me feel a tiny bit nauseous...

I dropped my ballot in the mail the other day.  Went straight Democrat.  Intelligent voting?  No.  IMO there's no choice right now.  The Republican positions on too many positions are simply abhorrent.  

EDIT:  my gosh, half the ads tonight are political.  Most have been for the House seat...Yvette Herrell's less outspoken but she's largely in the Greene camp.  But that also means the ads against the Dem candidate are fast and furious, as the Pubs try to hold the seat.

I think the Monica Rambeau one was a bit of a stretch, tbh. I liked the way she was introduced in Wandavision, and it wasn't her show, so the focus not being on her in the finale is entirely understandable. (I read the full article linked in the one above for hers.) For me, they did a great job of introducing the character, and made me look forward to seeing more of her.

Some of the analysis is interesting, and on point, particularly the stuff about Superman near the beginning of the article. Some of it seems like a bit of a stretch, like Spider-Man not being relatable to people of color until Miles Morales. That's just a divisive point of view, to me. Spider-Man is a guy who has problems that anyone can relate to. Why dwell on the fact of his skin color, instead of the things that are common to all of us as people? He makes mistakes. He has money problems. He has a boss who's a pain in the butt. He has a lot of personal commitments to juggle. All of that is what makes him relatable. If you only find things to identify with in a person of the same color as you, then maybe the problem isn't in the character, but in yourself. People are people. We have more in common than not. This isn't to say that it's not important to have mainstream heroes of color, or good female heroes, etc., just that it's nonsense that you can't relate to a hero because of their skin tone. I've met plenty of non-white Spider-Man fans predating Miles Morales by decades, and tons of white Miles Morales fans.

37 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I think the Monica Rambeau one was a bit of a stretch, tbh. I liked the way she was introduced in Wandavision, and it wasn't her show, so the focus not being on her in the finale is entirely understandable. (I read the full article linked in the one above for hers.) For me, they did a great job of introducing the character, and made me look forward to seeing more of her.

Some of the analysis is interesting, and on point, particularly the stuff about Superman near the beginning of the article. Some of it seems like a bit of a stretch, like Spider-Man not being relatable to people of color until Miles Morales. That's just a divisive point of view, to me. Spider-Man is a guy who has problems that anyone can relate to. Why dwell on the fact of his skin color, instead of the things that are common to all of us as people? He makes mistakes. He has money problems. He has a boss who's a pain in the butt. He has a lot of personal commitments to juggle. All of that is what makes him relatable. If you only find things to identify with in a person of the same color as you, then maybe the problem isn't in the character, but in yourself. People are people. We have more in common than not. This isn't to say that it's not important to have mainstream heroes of color, or good female heroes, etc., just that it's nonsense that you can't relate to a hero because of their skin tone. I've met plenty of non-white Spider-Man fans predating Miles Morales by decades, and tons of white Miles Morales fans.

The argument isn't about relatability; it's about representation.

Goldberg, who went on to have her own Star Trek career as Guinan on TNG, was nine years old the first time she saw an episode of TOS. In one of her first meetings with Gene Roddenberry, Goldberg recounted to the creator how the first time she saw Uhura onscreen she went running through her house calling "Come quick, come quick, there's a black lady on television and she ain't no maid!"

(From https://screenrant.com/star-trek-whoopi-goldberg-uhura-tos/ )

35 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

The argument isn't about relatability; it's about representation.

The direct quote I'm referring to was, "However, for legions of nonwhite readers, that relatability was only partial — at least until Miles Morales came along in 2011 to embody Lee’s vision for the rest of the world."

Granted, it says "only partial," so does use a qualifier. Seems to be splitting hairs, though, with that "for the rest of the world." Do you get total relatability from Miles Morales' skin tone? I doubt it. Does it add a dimension of relatability? Sure. But there's generation, culture, etc. All of these things factor into how well you relate to someone. I worked in Seattle, but I'm from the Southeast (Florida), with one parent from Alabama and the other from Pennsylvania. I had far more in common with my black co-workers who were from the East Coast or the Southeast than with my white West Coast co-workers, and more in common with anyone closer to my age.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying representation isn't important. God knows, there have been enough poorly-written characters of whatever ethnicity, gender, creed, or whatever in every media that I'm all for seeing more representation both on the page or screen and behind the keyboard. But toss in a good story while you're at it. Miles Morales wasn't popular because he was Hispanic and Black, but also because his stories were good. I think the writer of that piece and others like it kind of miss out on that point sometimes.

I tend to view representation for its own sake, without good writing or story, as just our latest societal efforts at tokenism. It’s also just bad business, hard to sell an inferior product. People mostly want to be entertained, and these media are industries designed for that. When they lose sight of that, or patronize their audience, it never seems to end well.

Your ballot envelope for the 2022 General Election has been accepted and your ballot is being processed for counting.

Nevada has a tracking site for mail-in ballots. Mine was dropped off last Monday at a local mall, and the website showed formal acceptance of the ballot envelope on Friday (they use a combination of computer and human validation of signatures, just as if I was voting in person). Our laws concerning polling observers and campaigning meant that I didn't have to deal with any of the shenanigans going on in other states.