Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

They should have had the same gun ban at their meeting as the NRA has at theirs.

10 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

The man can't handle the pressure of tough questions. And his overreaction isn't crazy enough to appeal to the crazies, like Trump's.

Edited by Lord Liaden

That's one of my fantasy replacements for political debates: 10 hour congressional hearings. All the rules of an under-oath hearing, panel of congresspeople chosen by the opposition.

Hillary Clinton pulled it off, all potential Presidents should have to.

(My others are poker night and blue book essay. Poker night is just the game, with a President table and Vice President table, bringing in third party candidates. Blue book has the candidates sitting quietly in a classroom with university blue books, answering essay questions. Halfway through they swap books and rebut. They can bring a cheat sheet, but the contents of the cheat sheet are published along with the essay responses)

14 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

That's one of my fantasy replacements for political debates: 10 hour congressional hearings. All the rules of an under-oath hearing, panel of congresspeople chosen by the opposition.

You essentially described the Watergate hearings, aside from underselling the run time. I watched them live, and personally, found them gripping.

1 hour ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Quote from that article:

"It is the latest in a string of shootings resulting from seemingly normal and even mundane interactions."

I'd say drunken neighbor shooting a firearm in his yard in the middle of the night falls out of the scope of "seemingly normal and even mundane interactions."

This is exactly what police are for. Even if it's just loud music. Someone's  acting out, have people in uniform come out and settle them down. Be safe.

Edited by Pattern Ghost

18 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Quote from that article:

"It is the latest in a string of shootings resulting from seemingly normal and even mundane interactions."

I'd say drunken neighbor shooting a firearm in his backyard in the middle of the night falls out of the scope of "seemingly normal and even mundane interactions."

This is exactly what police are for. Even if it's just loud music. Someone's  acting out, have people in uniform come out and settle them down. Be safe.

Why in the heck would you engage with a (likely intoxicated) neighbor firing a gun next door? Call the cops. Literally why we have them, it’s extremely imprudent and obviously that’s not someone you should be approaching at that moment.

There are bad people in the world. Be careful.

I would say “front yard” is even more of the same thing. Why in the actual heck would you approach that guy? Call the cops. That is the reason they exist. 

People are not their best selves right now. I get very scary behaviors in the community all the time, we had them before post-pandemic it is increased by a factor of two or three. Suicide, physical altercations, mental health disorders that have significant safety ramifications, homelessness. All are way higher than three or four years ago at a local and regional level. 

Many are higher nationally (homelessness is not evenly distributed nationally… that’s an entirely different discussion). It’s a scary time, perspectives as to reason - well reasonably minds my differ.

2 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Quote from that article:

I'd say drunken neighbor shooting a firearm in his yard in the middle of the night falls out of the scope of "seemingly normal and even mundane interactions."

When it's guns being shot off, I agree.  BUT...

My area has a dog ownership problem...in that, quite a few dog owners don't train their dogs and/or leave them alone and outside.  Periodically on the Nextdoor neighborhood app, people will post about it.  It's VERY common to have others say "go talk to them first."  They call that being a good neighbor, and calling the cops is being a bad guy.

But shooting a gun, yeah, that's already at an unacceptable level for trying to talk to the neighbor.  First shot...I'm going WTF....  Second, I'm calling, and far as I'm concerned, this is worth a call to 911.  (Come to think, there was one instance where I thought I heard a gunshot...and called 911.  They didn't find anything but they didn't mind in the least.  And this was...good gosh...30 years ago maybe.  Much less now.)  Look, I don't know...and honestly, I'm not inclined to find out...if the shots are just shooting into the air...or something else.  I DARN sure, as others are saying, am NOT!!!!! stepping outside, potentially to make myself a target.

Still, they didn't deserve to get killed for their action.  The <bleep> who did it, deserves to fry tho.  

31 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

It's VERY common to have others say "go talk to them first."  They call that being a good neighbor, and calling the cops is being a bad guy.

Doesn't matter. Be a bad guy, who cares what some person on a website says? Is the person telling you to "talk to them first" going to pay your medical bills or funeral expenses and take care of your family if you get hurt if you get attacked? I doubt it. The police aren't going to tell the person who called. Let the cops talk to them. They have authority and the trappings of authority. The person is less likely to attack them than they are you. The police are also better equipped to deal with someone that is stupid enough to attack them.

Also, why are you expected to be a good neighbor to someone who isn't being a good neighbor to you?

31 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Still, they didn't deserve to get killed for their action. 

Certainly not. I hope they catch the guy and bring him to justice.

Edited by Pattern Ghost

6 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Quote from that article:

That I can explain.  They were Hondurans so calling the cops wasn't a good option for them.  

51 minutes ago, BNakagawa said:

given the alarming frequency at which police arrive at the wrong address and shoot to kill, I would be hesitant to summon them to anywhere nearby.

And how often is that? I mean, if you took the ratio of the number of wrongful killings by police responding to the wrong address vs. total calls, what do you suppose that number to be?

We'll leave one of my biggest pet peeves with modern policing -- no-knock warrants -- because we're talking about calling police about noisy neighbors ore neighbors shooting guns in their yards, so a different circumstance.

My own personal impression is that there's a pretty low risk of anything bad happening. Mostly, the police come out, ID the person, then tell them to be quiet. Or in the case of the guy shooting the gun, could end differently. Better the police handle it than a family get massacred, though. 

Thanks to Clonus, we know why the victims felt they couldn't call the police. That's another huge issue that needs to be addressed. 

22 hours ago, tkdguy said:

This is also showing problems with electing the judges to the state Supreme Court...it makes that body just as political as the legislature.  Not only did they reverse themselves on the gerrymandering, but also on a photo ID law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Supreme_Court

All the justices serve staggered 8 year terms.

Mind...I rather suspect that every method of determining supreme court justices will run afoul of some problem or another, because the entire political process in this country is so grossly polarized.