Representation Matters

Dr.Device

One of my daughters is transgender so I know that having representation out there is important, and I appreciate everyone who puts themselves out there, because it isn't easy in today's society (esp. since Nov. 2016).  My daughter is having a difficult time as is, but without the people who came out before her to raise our collective consciousness of transgender issues it would be so much worse.  Thank you for positively expressing who you are despite the possible negative consequences.

It's hard to formulate words that would be respectful enough, so we'll keep it short, thank you for the honesty. It takes so much to speak to these parts of one's life. So again, thank you and I hope that everyone in your life accepts you and helps you to more through the transition as painlessly as possible. 

On a side note, my avatar is me at a computer convention. It's not a great image, but I thought it looked cool. 

• 1 month later...

I'm only now learning to adjust to the new world of personal pronouns. For some reason I always thought of "they" and "they're" as plurals and it never occurred to me to apply them to individuals as gender-neutral. But I have at least one transgendered friend now, possibly more (I don't pry), and am in a set of fandoms where fluid gender is not uncommon. so I'm making the effort to learn, and to re-adjust my attitudes on the subject. For someone in my generation, that's not always so easy.

Some people would probably say I resemble my avatar, but most would have to be taking some serious reality altering drugs.

Glad you felt comfortable enough to come out here. Gamers are an odd mix, we are an average slice of the human race with all the good and bad that implies. Hopefully you mostly find the good here.

- E