Captain Marvel with spoilers

Bazza

Sirrah, that role hath fellen on me to-day, methinks. Uh, prithee, n'uncle.

Just got home from the premiere screening. The story was nothing to write home about, but the set-pieces were fun, the acting solid, and the chemistry between Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson sparkled. The effects were all there, and SLJ youthified was outstanding. All in all, pretty entertaining -- I give it four Ls outta five.

The period music was top notch, too.

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it a lot.

The story was pretty good. It didn't do a huge amount with plot, but it certainly did develop character. But non-comics fans might see it differently.  eg.: My wife, who is not a comics reader, didn't see the (obvious to my comics informed mind) twist until it happened. She was suitably impressed and even said "I shoulda seen that one coming." I think for most of the audience, who aren't familiar with the Kree in the comics,  the revelation of the  Kree being bastards will come as enough of a change up to keep them happy and guessing.

Where it shone was character. Really liked all the characters. Brie Larson was excellent as a trauma victim trying to come to terms with her loss. Jackson was great (as always) and he and Larson really did just spark so well off one another. Annette Benning was clearly enjoying herself playing an evil AI. I've been a fan of Ben Mendelsohn since the 80's (aside: Skrull have Aussie accents, who knew?) and really enjoyed watching him villain-ing around.  And just everyone else. Even the minor characters in Danvers' Kree squad got a couple of good moments.

One flaw I can think of, and it's not really a flaw so much as a lack of time, is that the friendship between Danvers and Rambeau, which is clearly a very important, character defining thing, didn't get enough development on screen for my liking. Maybe there'll be a director's cut that will include some more flashbacks to them coming through pilot training together and such.

Inevitable comparison to Wonder Woman: Captain Marvel is a better movie than Wonder Woman on every level.  Larson is a much better actor than Gadot. Danvers is a much more interesting character than Diana. The supporting cast is much better. The final action scene is much better. The villains are TONNES better. Better story. Better character development for everyone. A cat. Er, sorry, flerkin.

Go see it.

Wow it was bad.

I'm sad to say, but Marvel made its first really bad movie. (I've not read other comments in this thread, yet, but I will.)

The writing and directing were the level of a bad after-school special. The Action scenes were badly staged, the plot was... pointless. Everyone, not just Larson, was stiff and awkward, with dialogue that was completely flat. The movie lacked heart in every way... I honestly shocked that this was allowed to be released. It didn't know if it wanted to be Guardians funny (it wasn't) or Avengers dramatic (it wasn't) or Ant-Man heartfelt (it wasn't)... it was a mess.

My wife was very unhappy. She wanted... badly... to like it and said, "Like thirty minutes in, I realized, I just didn't care about any of it. It was so stiff and just... whatever. I kept saying, "But this is Captain Marvel!" and am just SO disappointed."

So bad... I'm frankly amazed Feige let this be released.

5 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

Inevitable comparison to Wonder Woman: Captain Marvel is a better movie than Wonder Woman on every level.  Larson is a much better actor than Gadot. Danvers is a much more interesting character than Diana. The supporting cast is much better. The final action scene is much better. The villains are TONNES better. Better story. Better character development for everyone. A cat. Er, sorry, flerkin.

Wow... usually we agree on things, but I can't be further from any of this. Wonder Woman and Gadot were top notch, with a level of passion and innocence, while Larson slept through this movie. It was like every line was her just sitting there with no inflection until she noticed someone off camera pointing at her and she just reads the line. Every back and forth with Fury was so awkward, I kept expecting the '70s era sitcom laugh track to kick in to try and get some yuks. THe complete lack of Djimon Hounsou or Lee Pace having ANY point in being in this movie... the absolutely stupid Flerkin use... the pathetic portrayal of Skrulls somehow using American vernacular with Aussie accents and being inept at using their shapeshifting in any useful way. They are just happy-homemaker refugees? WTF?

THAT'S how Fury loses his eye? THAT'S how the Avengers come to be? It was like they took the worst writers of the Agents of SHIELD series and said, "YOu get a movie!" 

"I don't have to prove anything to you."  That's her big line?

The entire lack of a plot was entirely predictable. The "I can stop dozens of nuclear missiles and a squadron of attack ships in a few flashes of light, but it takes me ten minutes to fight my way through a few Kree soldiers? She's WAY OP for anything in the Marvel Universe as portrayed so far, because if they port all this over to Avengers: End Game... what's the point of the rest of the team?

This movie was god awful. I didn't think anything could take the bottom spot from GotG2, but this did, by far. (The same way they ham-fisted the humor in GotG2 so that it was cringe-worthy, they beat the '90s references to death. ugh ugh ugh.)

I liked the movie overall. It has some slow points but has lots of origin story to tell and does a good job  of telling it. The character interactions are the best part followed by the music. The action suffered from too much fighting in the dark. Her power level is ... high but not too far beyond  what Thor or the last Iron Man suit were capable of with the exception of her flight ability(no learning curve).

It's not the best but it's comparable the the first Cap and Thor movies. I'll rate it 4 out of 5.

I agree with with rjcurrie, a solidly middle of the pack Marvel movie.  I can easily think of a number of Marvel movies that are worse and a number that are better.  This being said, I have enjoyed every Marvel movie that I have seen and certainly enjoyed this one.  I will probably go watch it a second time before Endgame come out.

It was decent.  A slightly below average Marvel movie.  My only real issue is that Larson seems to have no charisma as a 'superhero.  I never really cared about what happened with her.  In fact, I was most invested in Talks the skrull.  Captain Marvel seemed to just be 'along for the ride' in her own movie.  Everything else was pretty good though.