Coronavirus

Steve

Ugh.  Out of perverse, morbid curiousity, I just reloaded the WorldOMeters page.  Last time was my prior post, so 4 hours ago.

In that time alone, 1.2 million new cases.  Granted that case reporting has time dependencies and it's not a rate or anything like that, but in one local afternoon...more than we ever got in a full 24 hours.  

Oh, and scrolling down...the total for the day broke 3 million handily.  (3.1 million, and their data day isn't over yet.  Think it's getting close, tho.)

1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

One of the things I realized is that I'm still not comfortable going out into the real world because of COVID. I had vaccine and booster, but I still live with high risk people. The fact that I have to take public transportation to get to work increases my risk all the more.

I’m in the same boat. I have several relatives of advanced age and one who caught stage 4 cancer. I don’t live with them but I do have to help them out now and then. 

Meanwhile my kids are still going to in person school, with substitute teachers since the regulars all have COVID. I’m doomed. 

The good news is that the latest Pfizer study has Omicron as 1/10 as lethal as Delta. So unclevlad’s 1.2M cases will only result in 1200 dead, not 12,000. Hooray…

8 hours ago, tkdguy said:

One of the things I realized is that I'm still not comfortable going out into the real world because of COVID. I had vaccine and booster, but I still live with high risk people. The fact that I have to take public transportation to get to work increases my risk all the more.

I am horribly torn.  On one hand, I miss my people and I yearn for the day when I can socialize without fear again.  On the other hand, I have no idea when that will be able to resume.  In particular, my Saturday gaming group might resume this weekend.  Two of the usual attendees (a high school classmate of mine and his dad) were hospitalized with Covid recently, and I think they finally got their jabs.  I have no idea whether they are still contagious.  I want so badly to relax around the game table with everyone again, but don't know if I can relax enough to relax!  We've put off a Christmas gathering several times because illness is hitting one of my sisters and her husband.  Argh...Covid will probably never go away completely, but I look forward to when it becomes more endemic vs. pandemic, sort of like the flu.

16 hours ago, tkdguy said:

That said, I just accepted a job offer. Travel time isn't too bad, and it's a full-time position, albeit a contract job. Not thrilled about it, but needs must.

Parental rights have not been absolutes in Canada for a long time. There have been a number of high-profile cases over the years in which the courts have overruled the wishes of parents on the grounds of a child's best interest.

Of course no few Canadians now see COVID as fundamentally different from... everything that it's not fundamentally different from.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Canada: Unvaccinated father loses right to see his child https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59979408

I submit that not being vaccinated would be an exemplar of what is meant by "not in the best interests of the child."

It would be interesting to hear about similar cases in different parts of the US, particularly anti-vax-heavy ones.  Because I think most judges would agree.  Not all, but most.

EDIT:  bopping around some of the stories on BBC news, found this:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59960949

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Canada: Unvaccinated father loses right to see his child https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59979408

And then there's people like this father:  Canada man flees with daughter, doesn't want her to get COVID vaccine (usatoday.com)  He was supposed to return his daughter to his ex-wife after a weekend in November, but "decided to keep her."

1 hour ago, BoloOfEarth said:

And then there's people like this father:  Canada man flees with daughter, doesn't want her to get COVID vaccine (usatoday.com)  He was supposed to return his daughter to his ex-wife after a weekend in November, but "decided to keep her."

Wellll.....the guy is an idiot.  
Talk radio shouldn't have any legal protections...the numbers of incoming calls should be recorded.  A subpoena should be trivial to get the number of that caller, and hopefully that'll target a search effort.  Plus, it wouldn't surprise me that this elevates the case status;  it's like waving the red flag at the cops.

Hopefully the guy will be caught soon, for so many reasons.  And when he is...in the US, what he's done is parental kidnapping, and I suspect in Canada, with their vaccination policies, it might even be child endangerment.  #1, I hope the kid gets returned to her mother ASAP, but #2, I hope this guy gets put away for a few decades.

Crossposted from The Academics Thread:

We had a test-to-stay event at my school today. We tested about 1600 kids, about 14% of them came back positive. Yikes.

And I just heard on the news that my district School board held an emergency meeting tonight and voted unanimously to go to distance learning through the end of next week.

Here we go again....

There’s really no good solution. Distance learning sucks. Some kids simply can’t do it. Meanwhile my kids are going to in person school and exposing themselves to COVID while doing nothing in class because the regular teacher is… out with COVID, so they have a sub. 

Meanwhile I have to go to war with the high school tomorrow so that’ll be fun. 

12,990 new cases in Utah today, including 3,007 school-age cases. The seven-day positivity rate here is 36.5%.

I don't recall it ever being this bad the first time around. Sadly, there's really not a lot that can be done to fight it here due to the efforts of our armchair libertarian State Legislature over the past year and a half.