Coronavirus

Steve

FWIW, this sort of thing has been going on at the federal level for decades, albeit different motivation and targets: one senator from Oklahoma, who is a bought-soul tool of Big Oil, has been subpoenaing atmospheric scientists and grilling them in the Capitol about climate change and CO2 emissions at the behest of his satanic masters.  These subpoenas are timed to be inconvenient, but you have no choice but to obey them or be jailed for contempt of Congress.

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

FWIW, this sort of thing has been going on at the federal level for decades, albeit different motivation and targets: one senator from Oklahoma, who is a bought-soul tool of Big Oil, has been subpoenaing atmospheric scientists and grilling them in the Capitol about climate change and CO2 emissions at the behest of his satanic masters.  These subpoenas are timed to be inconvenient, but you have no choice but to obey them or be jailed for contempt of Congress.

When was the last time someone was actually jailed for contempt of Congress?

On 2/9/2022 at 6:56 PM, Old Man said:

When was the last time someone was actually jailed for contempt of Congress?

1974 during the Watergate scandal, Richard Kleindienst and G. Gordon Liddy.

There's been a lot of people who should have been jailed for it. But Congress has been reluctant to refer people for criminal prosecution. Likely because of the fact that criminal prosecution is at the discretion of the DoJ and there's always some amount of pressure from the party of whichever president that's in charge to let things slide.

So Congress rarely refers anyone for prosecution and the DoJ even more rarely follows up and does it.

I feel OK, but my COVID test yesterday has come back DETECTED again, so I am probably still contagious.  I will bunker down for a few more days, run my classes via Zoom, and revel in the extra hour of sleep I get for not having to do the physical commute.  Long live pants-optional lectures!

Grumble.

1 minute ago, Cancer said:

I feel OK, but my COVID test yesterday has come back DETECTED again, so I am probably still contagious.  I will bunker down for a few more days, run my classes via Zoom, and revel in the extra hour of sleep I get for not having to do the physical commute.  Long live pants-optional lectures!

Grumble.

Unsolicited information:  pay attention to what type of test you're taking.  PCR tests (or PCR-equivalent NAAT tests) can return positive results for up to 90 days from infection -- they don't really represent transmissibility. Antigen tests are less accurate than PCR, but better for determining if you're infectious.

Again, the above is unsolicited info that you likely already know...just posting it because I wasn't fully up to speed on that when I had it over the holidays (likely stayed in full isolation a bit long as a result).

Good news.

Daily new case rate is down 40% from the peak, 3 weeks ago.

Bad news.

It's still over 2 million cases a day. 

SURPRISING (to me) news.

The daily death rate has started to drop (!!!).  The peak new case rate was only 3 weeks ago;  with prior strains, deaths lagged by, IIRC, 3-5 weeks.  But the peak was Feb. 6th, and it's down 8% since then.

Based on the WorldOMeters 7-day moving average.

This is purely anecdotal, but a friend who works in healthcare pointed out that all the omicron cases among vaccinated people she knows have involved nose/sinus and throat symptoms but not the lungs. If that bears out more widely, it seems this variant would be much less likely to take a turn for the lethal in a given patient.

8 hours ago, archer said:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-06629-2

...Thus, our data indicates that mRNA vaccination may generate more neutralizing RBD antibodies than natural immunity. It further suggests a potential need to maintain high RBD antibody levels to control the more infectious SARS-CoV-2 variants.

How dare you pierce the bubble of my willful ignorance with science!

Just kidding of course, I look forward to reading that article.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:42 AM, Simon said:

Unsolicited information:  pay attention to what type of test you're taking.  PCR tests (or PCR-equivalent NAAT tests) can return positive results for up to 90 days from infection -- they don't really represent transmissibility. Antigen tests are less accurate than PCR, but better for determining if you're infectious.

Again, the above is unsolicited info that you likely already know...just posting it because I wasn't fully up to speed on that when I had it over the holidays (likely stayed in full isolation a bit long as a result).

Whatever the full story is, I have it from my campus COVID honcho that I am OK to go back to campus, so I will be returning tomorrow to hand back graded exam papers.  Thus I can resume my official task of infecting students' minds with scientific knowledge, as opposed to their bodies with d----d hitchhiking viral dirtbags.

The study enrolled 490 patients with mild to moderate illness at 20 hospitals and a COVID-19 quarantine center in Malaysia. Everyone received standard care; half the group also received ivermectin.

Severe disease developed in 21.6% of the patients given ivermectin and in 17.3% of those who received only standard care, the researchers said. They defined severe disease as requiring oxygen to help with breathing.

There were no statistically significant differences between the groups in rates of ICU admission, need for mechanical ventilation, or death, according to the study.

https://news.yahoo.com/ivermectin-ineffective-preventing-severe-covid-162202670.html

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2789362