What Is the Worst Movie You've Ever Seen?

Pariah

Williams has done far, far worse like Jack, Patch Adams and Hook. And much better like Awakenings, The Dead Poets Society and Insomnia. The Birdcage is at the very least watchable because of him but the original French version is better in my far from humble opinion.

The same cannot be said of Breathless with Richard Gere failing to step into the shoes of Jean Paul Belmondo in A Bout de Souffle. Unwatchable.

46 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Then how about Hollywood remaking Foreign films.

I don't really think this is a factor, just as all the US original movies and series remade by other countries.

But I will say this thread invokes too much garbage to be able to list them all out, especially the lion share of everything out of Hollywood in the 2000's.

Things have gotten so bad that the vast majority of what I watch now is K-Drama and Anime. 

I will occasionally watch a US release movie if people I actually know rave about it, but I haven't gone to the theater in a while, even pre-C19.  Just not worth it.

On 3/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, slikmar said:

I would rank Prometheus and Green Hornet as they did above.

Funnily, my first thought on seeing this thread was it probably can't be long enough for Spence to chime in. LOL

2 hours ago, Spence said:

I don't really think this is a factor, just as all the US original movies and series remade by other countries.

But I will say this thread invokes too much garbage to be able to list them all out, especially the lion share of everything out of Hollywood in the 2000's.

Things have gotten so bad that the vast majority of what I watch now is K-Drama and Anime. 

I will occasionally watch a US release movie if people I actually know rave about it, but I haven't gone to the theater in a while, even pre-C19.  Just not worth it.

I feel that my statement yesterday was correct, now. Not enough room in this thread for Spence to list them.

Honestly I can't imagine anyone thinking The Last Jedi was the worst move when The Rise of Skywalker came after it.  TLJ was a mixed bag but TRoS gave way to all the worst demands of the fandom.  But the worst film I ever saw was Starship Invasions.  To be fair it was low budget 70s Canadian science fiction.  What the hell was wrong with Robert  Vaughn's finances that he was taking this kind of gig?  I think the best part of Starship Invasions was the part where they fixed the flying saucer with parts purchased at Radio Shack.  For worst big budget movie...maybe Wild Wild West?  

Let's see....

Unfriended- A horror movie that reminds us how exciting it is to watch unlikable people text, instant message, and video chat with each other. What? You don't find that entertaining?

Gods Of Egypt- So bad it makes the Clash of the Titans remake feel like Oscar material. Terrible on so many levels but especially the script.

Six Ultra Brothers vs The Monster Army- I love kaiju, but this is only worth viewing to see how bad it is.

10 hours ago, Starlord said:

...buuuuutttt also, just because it has a higher purpose and wants to be thought-provoking doesn't make it good/interesting/watchable....

Truly great art does both.

True, but this goes without saying. As an example: the Star Wars prequels adds to the mythology of the first three films with the cycle of Anikan’s fall, and redemption by his son Luke by taking a different path (the right one). However the prequels as films fail in major areas like story, plot, overuse of cgi, wooden acting, etc.

The Disney films are better produced films, and more watchable; but fail to add to the mythology of the previous six films, to which the second is the example. That film is in many ways is the antithesis of Lucas’ mythology, ergo lacks the mythic quality of the first six films. 

4 hours ago, Spence said:

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

I feel that my statement yesterday was correct, now. Not enough room in this thread for Spence to list them.

Maybe it would be shorter for Spence to list the good films since 2000s. 

Terribly bad movies, Bazza edition

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. Saw this during school with the rest of those in the same year/form/grade. Was just so bored by it, and wanting to go to sleep, but couldn't so just wanted it to end. A two hour film that went for an eternity. Recommended for insonmics.

Mallrats. The first film I saw that i had to remember how terribly bad it was. The reason I saw it is that I was a fan of Shannen Doherty from Beverly Hills 90210 and Mallrats was her big new film since she left the show. Also, it was one of the first cameos of Stan Lee, a novelty at the time, as this was before his sequence of cameoes in Marvel films. All in all, 90 mins I will never get back.

Blade Runner The Final Cut. As there is a number of different editions of this, I went with the last one, as I presume this is the one the director is happiest with. As a fellow board member has stated already in a different thread, the film(s) are classics of sci-fi, and is based on a classic story in the genre. The film just didn't live up to it for me, in part as a major plot point is the ambiguity of the central protaganist and whether he is a human being or a replicant. That just doesn't appeal to me as the question of organic being verses artificial being was resolved over 2000 years ago. I remember watching it and thinking about the cliches — about watching pain dry or grass grow — and this would be more engaging. 

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Is it a terrible film? Maybe, maybe not. Despite the esteem this film has, and its legacy; when I watched it a few years ago, it just didn't live up to it. The primary villain comes off as so-so which lets the film down. The usage of the famous utilitarian phrase lacks the intended dramatic climax. It again, highlights this utilitarian phrase works best as an ethical heuristic than an ethos.

Barbarella. Can't say I enjoyed this. Can't say I didn't enjoy it. The plot seems too far fetched to be realistic, and is quite laughable. The part I did enjoy, for the most part is the "angel" (winged human)'s character and the actor. The rest is not much to talk about. It may have been intended as a sci-fi fairy tale which is a noble endeavour. 

Momento. Was given advance free tickets from a friend to see this this. Still didn't get my money's worth.

12 hours ago, Bazza said:

Terribly bad movies, Bazza edition

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. Saw this during school with the rest of those in the same year/form/grade. Was just so bored by it, and wanting to go to sleep, but couldn't so just wanted it to end. A two hour film that went for an eternity. Recommended for insonmics.

Mallrats. The first film I saw that i had to remember how terribly bad it was. The reason I saw it is that I was a fan of Shannen Doherty from Beverly Hills 90210 and Mallrats was her big new film since she left the show. Also, it was one of the first cameos of Stan Lee, a novelty at the time, as this was before his sequence of cameoes in Marvel films. All in all, 90 mins I will never get back.

Blade Runner The Final Cut. As there is a number of different editions of this, I went with the last one, as I presume this is the one the director is happiest with. As a fellow board member has stated already in a different thread, the film(s) are classics of sci-fi, and is based on a classic story in the genre. The film just didn't live up to it for me, in part as a major plot point is the ambiguity of the central protaganist and whether he is a human being or a replicant. That just doesn't appeal to me as the question of organic being verses artificial being was resolved over 2000 years ago. I remember watching it and thinking about the cliches — about watching pain dry or grass grow — and this would be more engaging. 

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Is it a terrible film? Maybe, maybe not. Despite the esteem this film has, and its legacy; when I watched it a few years ago, it just didn't live up to it. The primary villain comes off as so-so which lets the film down. The usage of the famous utilitarian phrase lacks the intended dramatic climax. It again, highlights this utilitarian phrase works best as an ethical heuristic than an ethos.

Barbarella. Can't say I enjoyed this. Can't say I didn't enjoy it. The plot seems too far fetched to be realistic, and is quite laughable. The part I did enjoy, for the most part is the "angel" (winged human)'s character and the actor. The rest is not much to talk about. It may have been intended as a sci-fi fairy tale which is a noble endeavour. 

Momento. Was given advance free tickets from a friend to see this this. Still didn't get my money's worth.

WOAH !

I think people would take issue with at least two and maybe five of these. Mallrats is the only one I think that people would not care about. It all depends on whether you like Kevin Smith's work or not.

I like all the other five.

Munchasusen is from Terry Gilliam who is every bit the auteur that Orson Welles was so his work will not appeal to all. I saw it at the cinema and liked it.

Memento has a confusing narrative going backwards and forwards in colour and black and white which is one reason it will to appeal to all. You don't get the full story until the end which I found deeply satisfying. As this is a film that pulls the rug out from under the audience's feet I should ask if you have seen The Usual Suspects and what you thought of that.

Barbarella is fun. It gave rise to Duran Duran which I am grateful for. I also like the Evil Tyrant and commissioned a piece of art based on the character. It is a film you don't have to think much about. Obviously it caught you in the wrong way and there is nothing that can be done about that.

You don't like Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan ? I can understand people lobbing that accusation at Star Trek V and Star Trek the motion picture but the second in the series reckoned by a lot of fans as the best of the bunch ? The director went back through the original series episodes until he found the episode Space Seed and a worthy villain in Khan. Richardo Montalban had appeared in the original series as Khan and reprised the role here. You have the introduction of the Kobayashi Maru scenario, starship fights in Trek and the death of a beloved character. Bear in mind this was released before Star Trek the Next Generation, DS9 and Enterprise came along. So if you do mention this to Trek fans be prepared for their disbelief.

As for Blade Runner I saw this at the cinema when it first came out and later saw the different versions as they came out. Loved it ever since. I like the fact that there is an ambiguity about whether Decker is a replicant or not. I have the box set and have watched all the versions down from start to finish. I already liked Harrison Ford from Star Wars but the film gave us Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty and Sean Young as Rachel and I followed both actors into other films as they had made a favourable impression. Hauer into The Hitcher and Sean Young into No Way Out. Your mistake was not viewing them in order but you were not to know. You made a logical choice which affected your perception.

I am not trying to change your mind as how, when and where you see a film can affect how you perceive it. For example I saw Terminator 2 in a near empty cinema in America and thought there was too much CGI in it. I prefer the original despite what other people might think or say.

Now for a real stinker. This was something I saw recently and commented on in the What Have You Watched Recently thread.

Funny Man from 1994 seems to be an attempt to introduce a British version of Freddy Kreugar, the villain you love to hate. Unfortunately you remember it for the wrong reasons. A man wins a mansion during a poker game and takes his family there. He accidentally awakens a demon, looking like a jester who proceeds to kill the family and then the man's brother and a bunch of hitch hikers he picked up. That is in a sense it but it is the way it plays out that causes the problems. If you have children being killed it in a film then some care needs to be taken how it is done which this film fails to do. The hitchhikers serve no useful purpose except to be killed and other films like the slasher films take time and care to set the victims as being unworthy of a nasty demise. Not so here. There is a fight between one of the hitchhikers and the demon but it is not explained why they are able to fight. There is one bit also which would not pass muster two decades on. When Funny Man sets up the man's brother to be killed (and it is not clear how this is done) he is dressed up in a parody of Jimmy Saville. One of the only things in the movie worth mentioning is that Christopher Lee is in it at the start and at the very end. I hope in this synopsis to have convinced people not to seek out this film. 

14 hours ago, Bazza said:

I’m a fan of Kevin Smith’s work and I rather enjoy Mallrats, even though it’s not one of his best.

On 3/2/2022 at 4:41 PM, death tribble said:

That was just a cheap jibe and is beneath you.

Do you seriously like Hook ?

The movie Pan was worse by far.  Supposedly it's a prequel to Peter Pan, despite it establishing that Pan was born after the events of the original story thus making it impossible for him to have encountered the Darlings in Victorian era London.  They then proceeded to make Captain Hook an American cowboy, tossed Blackbeard into the story for no discernable reason and had none of Tiger Lily's tribe played by actual Native Americans.  By the time the pirates started singing a Nirvana song I was done.  They tried to cover their shoddy storytelling with utter lunacy but didn't have the sense to keep up that vibe either.  For the record, I did not like Hook either.

On 3/2/2022 at 7:11 PM, death tribble said:

The Postman. Another Costner epic but one that got slated. I have not seen it but the synopsis put me off.

I rather liked The Postman. It wasn't great but it was watchable and made me care about the main characters (which is something that horrible post-apocalyptic fiction never manages to do).

I'd be dissatisfied paying money to see it but not seeing it for free.

Not quite terribly bad movies, Bazza edition
The Book Thief. Overall I disliked it, and from memory liking maybe a scene or two, or some of the dialogue. The rest was so-so-no.

Room. Watched to get a bit of an idea on Larsen's acting as the movie was nominated for awards. Just had no connection to it, ie there couldn't be a suspensition of disbelief as there was no belief in the first place. Remember just staring at it as the pixels moved with no emotional investment. Perhaps the only time I did get invested in it was the chase when Brie's character jumps into a ute (pickup truck). I could admire the film for its art, and story etc. I just couldn't get into it.  

The Castle (Australian film). For most Aussies, this is a national classic but it really is just bad, until the "case" goes to court, and then it it only slighty picks up.

Top Gun
When I saw this in the 80s (or at least decades ago), like most people I liked it. Watching it again recently (last year), and knowing beforehand what happens to one of the characters, it undercuts nearly all sense of drama. What's left is not much.  

4 hours ago, Bazza said:

Room. Watched to get a bit of an idea on Larsen's acting as the movie was nominated for awards. Just had no connection to it, ie there couldn't be a suspensition of disbelief as there was no belief in the first place. Remember just staring at it as the pixels moved with no emotional investment. Perhaps the only time I did get invested in it was the chase when Brie's character jumps into a ute (pickup truck). I could admire the film for its art, and story etc. I just couldn't get into it.  

For one moment I thought you were going to talk about the 2003 film The Room. This has a considerable reputation as a bad film.  I have only seen the extracts on Youtube and the script and acting are remarkably bad. You have to see it to believe it. Unlike some films this is clearly shot well. So legendary bad is it that they made a film about it with James Franco as the actor/director Tommy Wiseau 

On 3/2/2022 at 8:11 PM, death tribble said:

I saw Dolph Ludgrun as the Punisher directly after this and it was a lot funnier.

Still my favorite Punisher.

On 3/2/2022 at 8:11 PM, death tribble said:

The Postman. Another Costner epic but one that got slated. I have not seen it but the synopsis put me off.

My favorite Costner movie. To me, the synopsis is that when the world falls apart, establishing lines of communication is the most effective means to rebuild.

The only other one I like is The Untouchables.

1 hour ago, mattingly said:

Still my favorite Punisher.

My favorite Costner movie. To me, the synopsis is that when the world falls apart, establishing lines of communication is the most effective means to rebuild.

The only other one I like is The Untouchables.

Costner is excellent in The Big Chill.