What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

4 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Wyrmwood (loved it, but totally understand if you dont), Train to Busan (incredibly well-done), and Green Lantern for about the fourth time.  No idea why people bag so hard on that movie: very human, and no grim dark anywhere..... 

Wish fall would get here so I can break out the Lum DVDs.... 

Train to Busan was good.  I say good because I usually hate zombie flicks. 

8 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I finished up watching it. The production design is amazing. The characters were interesting, and it was unusual to see in most cases their powers were curses, as well as blessings. I would give it a mild recommendation, but make sure the gamma of your TV is turned up because a lot takes place in dark environments.

That sounds like Netflix didn't process the video properly for TVs that don't display HDR.

Just finished Wreck-It-Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet. I really enjoyed this movie, but I'll probably have to watch it again to see if I can catch more stuff in the background. (4K Blu-ray)

Broken City. The mayor of New York employs a disgraced cop to find his wife's lover at the time of a mayoral election. Mark Wahlberg va Russell Crowe. Things are not what they seem.

Catching Fire: Hunger Games 2 Having survived Hunger Games edition 74 Katniss Everdene then has to go through the victory tour. And then she has to endure Hunger Games edition 75 when the winners of previous Hunger Games are the ones who have to fight. If you liked The Hunger Games then you will like this. And Donald Sutherland is obnoxious as the bad guy President Snow. This is one of Philip Seymour Hoffman's last films. Also helped by having older actors than teens amongst the killers.

Mockingjay Part 1 (Hunger Games 3) Having been airlifted out of the arena at the end of the previous film, Katniss is now in District 13 which was supposedly bombed out of existence. Katniss's family are safe but Peeta is a prisoner of the capitol. Katniss does a tour of the districts which causes Snow to bomb a hospital. A sneak attack by the rebels on the capitol frees Peeta and another Victor called Johanna but Peeta tries to kill Katniss. The film has a dedication to Philip Seymour Hoffman and has the track Yellow Flicker Beat by Lorde as part of the soundtrack.

Mockingjay Part 2 The rebels join in an all out fight against the forces of the Capitol. Katniss sneaks off to try and join in the fighting instead of being a symbol. Joined by Peeta Katniss tries to find a way through to kill the President after the officer in charge is killed by a landmine. Various other booby traps decimate the group. I(n the end the rebels win and Katniss asks to be allowed to kill Snow but kills the head of District 13 instead in revenge for the death of Prim (Katniss's sister).

Overall I enjoye the series although they can be long.

Gods of Egypt Gerard Butler east the scenary as the God Set as he takes down Horus and Kills Osiris. Gods bleed gold. Curiously uninvolving

Kick Ass This is what happens when ordinary people try to emulate superheroes. It is a lot better than the comic and engaging. Mark Strong is fun as the bad guy. As is Nick Cage as Big Daddy.

Kick Ass 2 The sequel to the above as Kick Ass and Hit Girl return to do battle alongside other public heroes and then fight the returning Red Mist using a name that cannot be mentioned here. Brutal, nasty and fun and much better than the comic

On 2/20/2019 at 2:08 AM, Scott Ruggels said:

JUst finished binging the second Season of "The Dragon Prince".  story gets better. over all quality has improved. Also on Netflix. Second Season does not finish the show. Story still seems to be on an upward trajectory.

Finally caught up myself. I'm truly enjoying the show. Honestly, one bit with the king did throw me for a loop a bit

The whole 'Hey, we'll starve together' bit... I'm like dude, there is such a thing as taking idealism too far. You are king of YOUR nation, and I don't think you're being a good king in condemning so many to death and explaining 'hey, fewer folks from this OTHER Kingdom will die now'

1 minute ago, Hermit said:

Finally caught up myself. I'm truly enjoying the show. Honestly, one bit with the king did throw me for a loop a bit

Reveal hidden contents

The whole 'Hey, we'll starve together' bit... I'm like dude, there is such a thing as taking idealism too far. You are king of YOUR nation, and I don't think you're being a good king in condemning so many to death and explaining 'hey, fewer folks from this OTHER Kingdom will die now'

Yeah, that's a bit too idealistic.  Also the other rulers of the Pentarchy squabbled less that NATO does in Brussels, but, it's primarily a kid's show so they have to keep things simple. Makes me want to Run or Play Fantasy Hero again, though.

6 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Yeah, that's a bit too idealistic.  Also the other rulers of the Pentarchy squabbled less that NATO does in Brussels, but, it's primarily a kid's show so they have to keep things simple. Makes me want to Run or Play Fantasy Hero again, though.

OH yes, the setting is solid , the magic system is unfolding nicely... 

and the characters are engaging and the heroes easy to root for.

I've been rather fond of Callum throughout this, his longing to be more, his interest in magic because he might be good at it, and where that's lead him. He's a good brother, he has his whoops moments, but he tries very hard to do the right thing and makes some hard choices. 

And god help me, 'Human Rayla' cracks me up. "Hello there, Human Fellows, fellow humans" 

Claudia is adorable if disturbing. I am worried about her.

With Callum having rejected Dark magic. I worry that a certain star touched elf is looking for a vessel of some sort full time. Viren seems the obvious one, but then.. there's Claudia. And I can see the writers pulling a nasty on us AND Callum if she ends up as a pawn or vessel for Aaravos (Sp?)

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

OH yes, the setting is solid , the magic system is unfolding nicely... 

and the characters are engaging and the heroes easy to root for.

I've been rather fond of Callum throughout this, his longing to be more, his interest in magic because he might be good at it, and where that's lead him. He's a good brother, he has his whoops moments, but he tries very hard to do the right thing and makes some hard choices. 

And god help me, 'Human Rayla' cracks me up. "Hello there, Human Fellows, fellow humans" 

Claudia is adorable if disturbing. I am worried about her.

Oh Claudia is one of my favorites. Hard charging go getter with a sense of humor (She reminds me of my sister's College room mate, Ginny.) I think what happened to her brother, has given her slight pause. The writers seem to get the family dynamics in all of the families represented, and i see echoes of my family in many of the characters. Which is not something I have experienced before.

8 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Oh Claudia is one of my favorites. Hard charging go getter with a sense of humor (She reminds me of my sister's College room mate, Ginny.) I think what happened to her brother, has given her slight pause. The writers seem to get the family dynamics in all of the families represented, and i see echoes of my family in many of the characters. Which is not something I have experienced before.

Claudia is one of my favorites too. I hope she 'makes it' . Heck, thanks to excellent character development, I am even sympathetic to Soren.

I actually went to a theater and watched a movie, it's been a while. 

Alita turned out to be a fun and well made movie even if it did seem to slow in some areas.  I thought it followed the main storyline I remember pretty well. 

Now I'll admit I haven't had the big hate on for live action anime/manga adaptations that seem to be fashionable.  I remember the brutal early years in film when fantasy/scifi was relegated to the garbage bin of film and we were subjected to such epics as Battle beyond the stars and Deathstalker.

Recent movies such as Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist, Space Battleship Yamato and Ghost in the Shell were not bad.  Certainly no where nearly as bad as some mental midgets have cried, and they deviated from the book/anime no more than other movies have deviated from there source material in the past.  Heck, the Cruise movie Edge of Tomorrow was pretty far afield from the novel I read and there wasn't a major outcry of "the stupid"

So hopefully Alita pulls enough that we see more adaptations. 

Updated:  It looks like it's taken in over $350 million so far on a budget of $170 million.  Not too bad and hopefully it will lead to more adaptations. 

Edited by Spence