I like Playing Bricks! Is that wrong?

TheQuestionMan

Greetings Programs and Happy Birthday to ME!

I like playing Bricks in Champions, I mean I really enjoy it. It it wrong that I prefer to play a Brick rather than any other Archetype?

For the longest time in various GURPS and HERO campaigns that I have been a part of I like playing the Brick/Warrior Archetype over anything else.

Does this make me a Power Gamer?

Does this make me Wrong?

Is this what Gaming is about?

I have played other Archetypes, but have not nearly had so much fun. My only rousing success has been Errandis, an Elf Wizard, Warrior, and Master of the Great Game. Then there is the Knife Fighter/Throwing Master in a Fantasy/DUNE campaign setting. I myself am a large man with some martial arts training and having worked 16 years downtown at night off and on. I have only had 2 occassions where I withdrawn from conflict. I stay in the Job because I know what I am doing and am good at what I do.

Thanks

QM (age 42)

Re: I like Playing Bricks! Is that wrong?

Well, first off Happy Birthday Q-Man!

Myself, I like variety and the challenge of the new. But even so I will often gravitate towards up close and personal physical types: Bricks, Speedsters, Martial Artist/Weapon Masters, Metamorphs... often some combination of the above. Nothing wrong with that. It's a game and you are meant to enjoy it.

That said, exclusive preference for one AT could be seen as a bad thing in a few instances I suppose.

In some groups, schtick protection might mean that there is only one brick per team. If you are always playing that character, somone else in the group may feel slighted if they wanted to give it a shot. Not sure if that's the case for your group, just tossing it out there.

Obviously, if you never try anything else, you'll never know if you like other things. Some may percieve a preference for one type of character as a crutch or weakenss of sorts ("He's typecast. He can;t play anything else!"). But that does not appear to be the case here. Instead it seems like you have found something that makes you happy via trial and error.

Previous editions did give some juicy point breaks to Bricks, so I suppose from a pure math point of view that could be seen as power gaming. But it's not like they are inhernetly more powerful than all the other archtypes. A lot of that comes down to character design and campaign style.

So yeah, if it makles you happy and isn't causing some kind of grief at the table, I say stick with it :)

I'm really quite curios what propted the question, man? ;)

The Answer to TheQuestion-Man is I was drinking last night. My last unsocial drinking for a year and it occurred to me that a young adult of 41 could ask this question without flap, but a 42yr old would seem strange. Too late. I was rereading some old campaign journals I had written before the internet. There are OOC comments by other Players commenting on my lack of depth. I laughed out loud (woke my roommate) and proceeded to type in a drunken haze my discombobulated thoughts onto the forums, because at the time it seemed important.

Yes, I am crazy. It helps me fit in!

QM

If someone told you it was wrong, you should have your brick beat up their non-brick. There are only two kinds of Hero characters: Bricks and losers. :eg: Recognize.

J/K Play what you like. I like variety...but I played bricks for a long time. Just figured I'd give someone else a chance to play one and never circled back.

I don't think it so strange. I've yet to play Champions and it looks like I won't unless I run, but I have developed favorite classes and archetypes in other systems I have played, and though I am subject to experimentation, there are still a few character concepts I prefer to return to. I prefer humble minded thinkers who aren't afraid of roughing it up should the need arise. Sometimes, it takes the form of strategic fighters, clever rogues, or wise spellcasters in fantasy campaigns. I prefer pilots, technicians, and scientists in sci-fi. In a d20 western game that mixed in fantasy elements (I can't recall the name), I preferred the maverick.

Have a very happy b-day! Hope that you have many more to celebrate.

If playing an archetype that you like is wrong, than I would never want to be right.

As for being a a power gamer, simply prefering an archetype will not grant that. To be a powergamer, you would need to meet a LOT of more qualifications before I will begin to suspect powergaming. Basically put, powergaming is the way a person plays and not what archetype they play.

When I play in an RPG, I like to try different things and get different experiences than I would normally get in normal life.

My personal preference is speedsters since I have always felt that I am personally on the slow side in real life. (even though perople try to tell me that that is not true) I beleive that each person should be able to play the character that suits himself the best, regardless if that is a brick, a speedster, a mentalist, a t-porter, blaster, or whatever.

Onec again, Have a very happy b-day! Hope that you have many more to celebrate.

Happy Birthday!

While I like making characters that stray from the "usual formula", I tend to gravitate towards bricks myself. They are simple, straightforward, and you don't have to spend so much time trying to figure out how to do stuff, since punching, lifting, and throwing are all things we've seen before.

Greetings Programs and Happy Birthday to ME!

I like playing Bricks in Champions, I mean I really enjoy it. It it wrong that I prefer to play a Brick rather than any other Archetype?

For the longest time in various GURPS and HERO campaigns that I have been a part of I like playing the Brick/Warrior Archetype over anything else.

Does this make me a Power Gamer?

Does this make me Wrong?

Is this what Gaming is about?

I have played other Archetypes, but have not nearly had so much fun. My only rousing success has been Errandis, an Elf Wizard, Warrior, and Master of the Great Game. Then there is the Knife Fighter/Throwing Master in a Fantasy/DUNE campaign setting. I myself am a large man with some martial arts training and having worked 16 years downtown at night off and on. I have only had 2 occassions where I withdrawn from conflict. I stay in the Job because I know what I am doing and am good at what I do.

Thanks

QM (age 42)

Heh, I tend to like high agility types myself. (usually more MA than speedster though)