In other news...

tkdguy

Is Richard Benjamin still alive?

As for the others, I can see making a case for them, but I know there would be limits. This is my reasoning:

1. Star Wars and Star Trek are the "Big Two" in science fiction. While Babylon 5 is my favorite, it's not as popular as the first two mentioned.

2. Captain Kirk and Luke Skywalker are the main heroes in the original series of each franchise. So the actors playing them get dibs.

1 minute ago, tkdguy said:

As for the others, I can see making a case for them, but I know there would be limits. This is my reasoning:

1. Star Wars and Star Trek are the "Big Two" in science fiction. While Babylon 5 is my favorite, it's not as popular as the first two mentioned.

2. Captain Kirk and Luke Skywalker are the main heroes in the original series of each franchise. So the actors playing them get dibs.

Good argument.  I'd include Han, tho, as co-lead, and arguably most-loved character.  Can't say the same for anyone else from Star Trek;  Leonard Nimoy could count but, unfortunately, he passed away.  Let's also note that this is a *pure* PR stunt, so that limits the potential pool greatly.  It has to be someone instantly recognizable by non-fans.

I'd also include some of sci-fi's most noted space-related writers, but unfortunately...most of them are Golden Age and passed away a very long time ago.  Especially the recognizable ones like Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, Bova,....  And, no, I won't nominate Orson Scott Card. 

1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

Yup. He's about 7 years younger than Shatner.

4 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Wikipedia did not mention him dying, so I assume so. He'd be 83 or thereabouts.

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I'd also include some of sci-fi's most noted space-related writers, but unfortunately...most of them are Golden Age and passed away a very long time ago.  Especially the recognizable ones like Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, Bova,....  And, no, I won't nominate Orson Scott Card. 

Unfortunately true. (And I won't nominate Card, either.) Add Harlan Ellison to the list of the dead, too, and too bad: He had the writing chops to do justice to a trip into space, that might help people understand just how gobsmackingly amazing this all is.

Dean Shomshak

2 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Wikipedia did not mention him dying, so I assume so. He'd be 83 or thereabouts.

Unfortunately true. (And I won't nominate Card, either.) Add Harlan Ellison to the list of the dead, too, and too bad: He had the writing chops to do justice to a trip into space, that might help people understand just how gobsmackingly amazing this all is.

Dean Shomshak

I don't know as Ellison would get along that well with Bezos, though.  Ellison never struck me as being a fan of super-rich types.

I was actually thinking it would be nifty if Shatner were to go up again once there's a manned orbital vehicle developed for the New Glenn rocket.  If a few minutes on the edge of space is really great--imagine what a ride around the world would be like.

16 hours ago, unclevlad said:

'd also include some of sci-fi's most noted space-related writers, but unfortunately...most of them are Golden Age and passed away a very long time ago.  Especially the recognizable ones like Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, Bova,....  And, no, I won't nominate Orson Scott Card. 

I would, assuming Musk feels like launching another of those orbital cars.

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

Only 80? I would have gone with a higher number than that, but it's entirely possible you're thriftier than I am. But for a one-way trip, I suppose we could put more than four in a capsule.

(435 + 2 + 23 + 9 = 469 ; 469 ÷ 4 = 117.25)

Dangit, I forgot the Senate.

435 + 100 + 2 + 9 + 23 = 569 ; 469 ÷ 4 = 142.25

There, that's better.

21 hours ago, Pariah said:

And Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew, Richard Dean Anderson, Amanda Tapping, Bruce Boxleitner, Claudia Christian ... who else am I missing?

Barbara Bain, Nick Tate, Michael Keating Sally Knyvette, Jan Chappell who ar the surviving actors and actresses from Space 1999 and Blake's 7