In other news...

tkdguy

“X” marks the particle.

First detection of exotic 'X' particles in quark-gluon plasma

https://phys.org/news/2022-01-exotic-particles-quark-gluon-plasma.html

Physicists Detect Mysterious X Particles in 'Primordial Soup' For The First Time

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/techandscience/physicists-detect-mysterious-x-particles-in-primordial-soup-for-the-first-time/ar-AAT4N0U?li=AAgfYrC

11 hours ago, Cygnia said:

This poses one of the great ethical quandaries in animal rights.

On one hand, living in zoos, away from their natural communities and activities, is considered terrible for animals. It leads to the wild animal equivalences of mental illness and lead to shortened lifespans compared to their wild brethren who have a far more interesting social environment. And wolves are especially social creatures. Even being born and raised in captivity does not help much. 

On the other, wild animals in captivity need not fear predators or starvation. For a rare or critically endangered species, the care of trained zoologists can be a bulwark against extinction. But if they can't breed in captivity or survive out of it, what is the gain?

Which side am I on? If you ask me, prepare for me to say I do not know.

OK, so the Pepsi/Doritos ad just played again...Bettis driving the bus, Eli, Bradshaw's strapped to a chair up top.  Curious to know who the other guy in the bus is.  It's Victor Cruz.

But finding that out, the report discussed PepsiCo's plans...FrtoLay is owned by PepsiCo.  That included this:

Frito-Lay, on the other hand, has announced it will run two gameday spots. One will promote new Doritos Flamin’ Hot Cool Ranch chips. The other will see Lay’s return to the Super Bowl after a 17-year hiatus to showcase its limited-edition Golden Grounds – a new chip designed for football fanatics that is made from potatoes grown in soil extracted from NFL stadiums. 

The insane part is you know they'll sell.  WILDLY.  It's the American public.  It's football.  They'll be impossible to keep on shelves.

<sigh>

Horrible.......

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-60120367

The sick thing is, from the details?  This has happened before.  The concert in Cincinnati that WKRP made sure we'd never forget...a sound check by the band led the crowd to try to push through the open gates.  There was another soccer match in, I believe, England that had almost the same situation, IIRC...not enough gates, too many people, access issues.  

Ugh.  Just completely awful....

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33169698/philadelphia-76ers-fan-taunted-lakers-carmelo-anthony-banned-indefinitely

According to the story, this wasn't the fan's first offense by any means.  I know had I been near him...if security asked for fan confirmation of his bad behavior, I'd give em chapter and verse.  Fans think they've got herd camouflage....

I can't find it in a convenient snapshot, but Steven King used to be a school teacher.  He is known for telling his students "any time you hear of a book being banned, then you should _know_ that this is a book that you should be reading.  It doesn't matter what reason they give to ban a book; ultimately, books are banned because they contain knowledge those in charge do not want you to have."

Given the recent trend for banning anti-fascist works, I have never been more convinced that he was onto something.

If you really want to get rid of a book you let it go out of print, and steal it from libraries in the dead of night—which happens. 

To paraphrase Stephen King: these are the books you should be reading, if you could ever find out which titles they are. 

One such book is: The Lords of Creation: The History of America's 1 Percent by Frederick Lewis Allen. First published 1935. 

12 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I can't find it in a convenient snapshot, but Steven King used to be a school teacher.  He is known for telling his students "any time you hear of a book being banned, then you should _know_ that this is a book that you should be reading.  It doesn't matter what reason they give to ban a book; ultimately, books are banned because they contain knowledge those in charge do not want you to have."

Given the recent trend for banning anti-fascist works, I have never been more convinced that he was onto something.

272198346_10158940255127582_781906744112