Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

No Way Home has earned 600 million so far in its first week, that's a serious hit.  And... it makes the previous couple Marvel films look really wan and weak.  All the excuses we've heard for why they didn't do well are not adding up.

I'm glade it is doing well and as soon as it releases for general viewing I will most likely see it. 

As for the MCU movies cratering, well they are.  Spider-man may now be linked to the MCU, but it is still being made like the old MCU movies.  Actual heroes doing heroic things. 

Don't worry, they will "fix" Spiderman soon.  The next movie will still do well because the audience will expect more of the same, but after they get blindsided, they will not go to the next. 

The MCU movies did not immediately crater because people base their movie decisions on the last of a series that they saw and anyone with a viable brain cell pays no real heed to "critics" or "reviews".  And these days "awards" are generally 180 out from the quality of a movie.  The more awards the crappier the movie.  If you go and see a movie and it is fantastic, when its squeal or follow-on movie releases you will generally go see it as well. But if it sucks hard enough to change the moons orbit, you will not be back for #3. 

The last several MCU movies (with the exception of the latest Spiderman) have accelerated in a screaming downward spiral.  And most people, including me, don't even consider Spiderman movies as part of the same studio output.  The last three Spiderman movies have been an anomalous throwbacks to the great writing and storytelling of the MCU phase one type of movie.  

It is possible that we could still see good MCU movies, but with them doubling down on the rhetoric I doubt it.  

The recent Doctor Strange 2 teaser shows the MCU version of America Chavez. Unfortunately, she's not the America Chavez any comic book reader will recognize. The MCU version is too young, too fully clothed, and apparently in need of protecting. And given her age, it strikes me as highly unlikely that she will be portrayed as a lesbian, as in the comics. In my view, she is America Chavez in name--and possibly power set--only. Oh, they did get the denim jacket right at least.

And most people, including me, don't even consider Spiderman movies as part of the same studio output.

Unfortunately I think you're right, it feels like a different  production company despite the tons of crossover things.  I am concerned that they are increasingly making Dr Strange look like a bumbling ass, though.

they are increasingly making Dr Strange look like a bumbling ass, though

guest appearance, ie make the named character the star. 

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

I watched the finale of Hawkeye today. I found it the entire series quite satisfying.

And the mid-credits scene? Brilliant. Seriously, I could watch this all day.

I’m surprised we haven’t (yet) got the full show. 

12 hours ago, Pariah said:

I watched the finale of Hawkeye today. I found it the entire series quite satisfying.

And the mid-credits scene? Brilliant. Seriously, I could watch this all day.

Yup, the story finished pretty strong. Better than I'd expected, anyway. Looking forward to where they take it.

(And yeah, the mid-credits scene was a lot of fun.)