Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

34 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I think Shang Chi faces a pretty huge uphill battle.  Its not like martial arts movies are fresh or unexplored territory.  The reason the comic was so interesting was partly the phenomenal artwork, and partly the novelty of a kung fu comic.  Neither of those are strengths in a movie.

You could argue that a large part of the reason why people come to see John Wick movies and Jackie Chan movies is the martial arts. 

It's not fresh or unexplored but such action movies are popular. Even Kung Fu is trying a reboot/reimagined TV series.

I'll admit to being bored by the 1970's martial arts movies craze. But it was enough of a craze to have a large number of movies made at the time. And it's still enough of a craze to have a constant stream of movies made for the Asian markets.

With the pent up demand of people wanting to have access to new movies, if Shang Chi was EVER going to be a success it's likely to be this year. (Though a June release date would have been much better than September but who could have predicted CDC recommendations.)

I hope it's a monstrously huge blockbuster hit so that Disney will have money to plow into characters and franchises I'd like better. I can't seem to find any numbers about how much they spent to make the movie but I doubt it was $300-400 million like the last two Avengers movies. So even if it makes relatively modest "Ant-Man and the Wasp" numbers, it could be seen as a huge success and the biggest martial arts film ever.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

I enjoyed Ant-Man and the Wasp, and it has a score of 87% with critics and 75% with audiences on Rotten Tomatoes. I bought it in 4K for home viewing. Captain Marvel was okay, but not outstanding.

Endgame was the highest grossing movie in recorded history ($2.7B) until Cameron re-released Avatar. “Not outstanding” Captain Marvel grossed $1.1B. Failed sequels Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 each brought in over $600M. Thor 1 looks like the worst MCU film revenue wise at $400M. 

Clearly the franchise is doomed. 

Doooooooomed. 

18 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

They changed directions with Captain Marvel and ant man and THE WASP, neither of which were particularly beloved or considered great movies, although people went to see them mostly for "this helps tie into the Avengers which I actually do like"

As long as one ignores everyone who applauded Captain Marvel for being Marvel's first solo movie with a female lead and for its themes of empowerment and perseverance in the face of dismissal. But those were women, and men who don't object to movies being about them, so their opinions don't count, right?

18 hours ago, archer said:

You could argue that a large part of the reason why people come to see John Wick movies and Jackie Chan movies is the martial arts.

In America, people go to see the John Wick movies mostly for the gun play and the expertly done action set pieces (in terms of camera work and overall inventiveness). John Wick has established itself as a franchise that is all about interesting locations, baroque world-building, and increasing Wick's kill count from the previous movie. Martial arts are a very small part of the John Wick formula, and not the main reason it has succeeded. In contrast, I believe Shang Chi will live or die on its martial arts choreography because of who the character is.

I agree with Christopher that it will be difficult for Shang Chi to show us anything we haven't already seen in dozens of martial arts movies. And from what I see in the trailer (so far), I'm not expecting any lavish stylistic direction ala John Wick, so I fail to see what there is to be too optimistic about.

If Shang Chi can, at least, bring us a level of martial arts seen in Mortal Kombat, it will be fine. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind seeing them adapt some of the stuff from Iron Fists run a while back of the 7 cities tournament, where every move had some cool name and was unique to the style (harkening back to the 60-70s wushu films of cobra or eagle or crane styles, only more exotic).

To me, John Wick movies are the first to actually do a first person shooter video game movie like a game. The fact its not based on one is irrelevant. How many movies have we seen that were based on first person shooters (Doom or Max Payne) that didn't actually do the first person shooter part.

Not at all optimistic about the Eternals. Beautiful cinematography, but very much like the director’s Oscar winner, with landscapes, slow tracking shots, and subdued colors. It seems to contain none of Jack Kirby’s dynamism, and well it wasn’t one of his shining creation. 

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Sony seems to be on an anti-hero kick with Venom and Morbius. They may try the same thing with Kraven.

I don't have trust issues with Marvel Studios adapting Marvel Comics properties, but I do with Sony.

Well aside from Spider-Man, what successful Marvel hero films do they have the rights to?

They're pretty much stuck with the anti-heroes from their Spider-Man library of rights.

I've thought Kraven the Hunter as a Spider-Man foe was a stupid concept from the beginning so I doubt Sony will do anything to ruin him for me.

(The Kraven as the supposedly sane host of a TV show who decides to kill Spider-Man live in order to boost his ratings was a particularly brain-dead version of the character.)

So the MCU is giving the Eternals a look that doesn't mesh with the original Kirby aesthetic. I fail to see the problem. They've gone and done plenty of things different from the comics (or perhaps I should say from some of the comics, as there's a huge and varied stable of different takes to be had even within the comics) and it's done no harm to the franchise and resulted in many good movies.

As for the MCU having lost its way... bollocks. What was the last MCU movie? Endgame? Did rather well with audience and critics as I recall. 

It seems to contain none of Jack Kirby’s dynamism, and well it wasn’t one of his shining creation. 

In this case, since they're such a meh creation almost nobody even remembers or cares about, taking a new direction is probably a feature, not a bug.  But talk about the movie no one asked for, a very strange direction to go.  Probably fits into whatever new big threat they want to try to build up to with the Avengers this time. Except now it will be more like Secret Wars, because the Fantastic Four and X-Men will probably also be involved somehow.

You'll notice that not a single one of the other so-called Spider-verse movies feature Spider-Man. Tom Holland doesn't want to be in Sony's Spider-verse; he feels his home is the MCU. That means Sony will likely have to move forward with a different Spider-Man if they want that character to be part of some kind of shared cinematic universe. My vote is that they establish a live-action Miles Morales and continue their Spider-verse with him. Tom Holland can continue to be the MCU's Spider-Man and everybody wins.

12 hours ago, Greywind said:

Technically, Far From Home is currently the last MCU movie. At least until Black Widow.

14 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

As for the MCU having lost its way... bollocks. What was the last MCU movie? Endgame? Did rather well with audience and critics as I recall. 

Far From Home

budget: $160,000,000

gross: $1.132 billion

Endgame

budget: $400,000,000

gross: $2.798 billion

Endgame is the 2nd highest grossing of all time, outpaced only by Avatar which has been out years longer and has been released twice.

Far From Home is the 25th highest grossing of all time.

Very respectable numbers for both.