Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasp doesn't seem so much hero as just action adventure star with special outfit.  Like Ripley in that big mech loader, but it makes her small instead.  She doesn't act especially heroic, just... beats up on targets using her special costume.  And Thor?  Drunken dad bod douchebag thor who is funny now instead of awesome?  Maybe he can drink more beers with the raccoon to show how much a hero he is now.

Hey, drunken douchebags deserve representation on the screen too, y'know. It's 2021 and everyone gets their own superhero. Even the much maligned, often marginalized, and frequently ridiculed drunken dad bod douchebag.

I have two main problems with an MCU Jane Foster Thor:

1. They just reaffirmed Thor's worthiness in his last outing, and Jane takes over the mantle in the comics after Thor becomes unworthy. If they try a variation on that reasoning, it undoes any character development Thor's had over his last three or four appearances.

b. Portman was so clearly phoning in her performance in every single outing as Jane Foster, that I have no desire for her to remain in the MCU. She's only coming back because she wants the limelight. Acting ability aside, her work ethic and general ethics stink, so not interested.

I might catch it on Disney+ if they run it for free.

Yeah she clearly does not like the role. Gwyneth Paltrow had to be convinced by RDJ to come back and he fought to give her a bigger and more interesting role each time so she would return.  For reasons only he can explain.

If they insist on the eye rolling need to gender swap Thor, why not use Sif?  She's already established, she clearly can fight, she looks the part, and Jaime Alexander really likes the role and wants a bigger part.  For some reason they keep giving her the short shrift in Marvel and I don't get it.

Natalie Portman wasn't enthused by the Jane Foster role in the first two Thor movies, essentially the girlfriend. Not much of a challenge, and little character growth over those movies. Obviously this Jane Foster is going to be very different. I'm sure the chance to work with Taika Waititi was another inducement. And while I can't speak to attitude problems from Portman generally from anything I've heard, the training she undertook for Black Swan left me impressed with her work ethic. As has her obvious pumping up for this more physical role.

Ev5oCYGXYAApAer.jpg

14 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

1. They just reaffirmed Thor's worthiness in his last outing, and Jane takes over the mantle in the comics after Thor becomes unworthy. If they try a variation on that reasoning, it undoes any character development Thor's had over his last three or four appearances.

MCU Thor has Stormbreaker now, he's moved on from Mjolnir. Chronologically the hammer was shattered by Hela, the one in Endgame was extracted from the past and presumably returned by Captain America. I think it most likely that Mjolnir will be repaired in Love and Thunder, I'm guessing by Dr. Strange using the Eye of Agamotto. Two weapons, two wielders. Undoes nothing about Thor's character, and adds to Jane's.

29 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

MCU Thor has Stormbreaker now, he's moved on from Mjolnir. Chronologically the hammer was shattered by Hela, the one in Endgame was extracted from the past and presumably returned by Captain America. I think it most likely that Mjolnir will be repaired in Love and Thunder, I'm guessing by Dr. Strange using the Eye of Agamotto. Two weapons, two wielders. Undoes nothing about Thor's character, and adds to Jane's.

Let's hope they take that route.

Jane becoming Thor is right out of a fairly recent comic book storyline, with Gorr the God Butcher at the center of it all. We have Christian Bale as Gorr and Natalie Portman reprising her role as Jane. I am cautiously optimistic that Thor: Love and Thunder won't turn into some sort of woke diversity play with a woman adopting the mantle of "Thor". Mostly because it has Taika Waititi at the helm again, and that just doesn't seem like his style.

12 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Natalie Portman wasn't enthused by the Jane Foster role in the first two Thor movies, essentially the girlfriend.

She was also really unhappy with how Patty Jenkins was removed from directing after Natalie specifically asked for her, iirc. Patty has since come out and said it was the right move and the story she had in mind for Thor2 was the one she redid for WW, where it worked really well.

what can the Eye do without the Time Stone?

Be a really old artifact worth a lot of money in auction.  Its not magical without the stone.  Which, while I kinda understand why they did it, was an annoying way to go with the eye.  Its one of his defining things as a character, destroying the Eye was as bad as taking away Captain America's shield or destroying Mjolnir -- oh wait.

If a GM ran their game like MCU runs their movies, players would have revolted and left long ago.