Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I think you guys are picturing them zooming around NYC superheroing.

Well, yeah, of course. That's who they are: superheroes. If they aren't zooming around NYC superheroing, then they aren't the FF in my view. They might as well not even bother putting them into the MCU if they're just going to hide them in the past and have them doing non-superhero things.

3 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I think you guys are picturing them zooming around NYC superheroing. Not really necessary. Mole Man? Lives underground. Negative Zone? Literally another dimension. They could introduce the Savage Land via a FF franchise. Again, not in the public's eye. The FF adventuring and exploring isn't a radical change. They directly trace their lineage to Jules Verne type adventures and pulp Sci Fi adventures. There's nothing at all radical about having them be mostly out of the public eye.

And if they were in the public eye? So what? Why would someone comment on a group of supers who were around 50 years ago in the context of any of the other MCU material? When would that have naturally come up in conversation in any Marvel movie to date? I think Fury has commented on a rise in the number of powered people, but he never said the current crop is the first crop of same.

I think it was a new mutants annual where the U.N. questioned the Fantastic Four about the Blue Area of the Moon which was uknown until that point.

I guess it comes down to what you would want from the Fantastic Four in the MCU. I don't want covert Fantastic Four. I don't want obscure, forgotten Fantastic Four. I don't want don't-affect-the-contemporary-world Fantastic Four. I want four-color, famous, making-a-difference-now Fantastic Four.

Others are free to want something different. But I doubt that would make me happy.

42 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

The music makes me think of Apocalypse Now.

I'm not sure who the cover artist is, but it's a slow version* of "The End" by the Doors, which would have fit right in with "Apocalypse Now". 

*Which is saying something. The original meanders through odd, shifting lyrics for almost 12 minutes for the album track.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I want four-color, famous, making-a-difference-now Fantastic Four.

You realize that you run the risk of some writer trying to stay true to their origin story of going up in a private rocket only to have a studio exec make them rewrite Reed as Elon Musk if you set it in the current time, right? :D

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Others are free to want something different. But I doubt that would make me happy.

What do we have to do to make you happy!?!? You're so fussy, i mean . . . j/k.

What would make me happy is any take on the team that wasn't complete crap.

On 9/28/2018 at 6:00 AM, archer said:

Very true, team uniforms are not unprecedented.

The original X-Men in their team uniforms weren't able to keep their comic book series going. It wasn't until after they individualized their uniforms that the comic books became popular enough to have a regular uninterrupted schedule of publication. Getting rid of the team uniforms wasn't the sole reason for the book becoming more successful but I think it played a role.

On 9/28/2018 at 6:47 AM, Greywind said:

It wasn't until the X-Men were rebuilt by Wein/Cockrum, Byrne/Claremont that the X-Men had individual costumes. They still ended up with team markers somewhere on their outfits.

The original X-Men received distinctive uniforms as "graduation presents" in X-Men #39.  The series ran to #66, so they had individual uniforms for quite a while before cancellation.  There was a Marvel Team-Up where they wore no costumes, which apparently was being considered for a revival on the basis they did not need costumes for easy identification (one guy ices up, a second is bulky, a third has wings and the fourth has glowy red around his eyes; only one girl).

13 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

You realize that you run the risk of some writer trying to stay true to their origin story of going up in a private rocket only to have a studio exec make them rewrite Reed as Elon Musk if you set it in the current time, right? :D

Elon Musk already exists in MCU continuity (cameo in IM#2). We'd have to make him John Carmack or Jeff Bezos. :)

Reed Richards is smarter than Tony Stark, Elon Musk, and Stephen Hawking all put together. He doesn't need to be rewritten as anyone. :D

If they want to adapt the classic FF origin story while putting it into a modern MCU context, they could just make them the test crew for the first S.W.O.R.D. mission. A mission which goes horribly awry, perhaps getting nearly destroyed by the cosmic energy wake of Taa II.

The magnitude of a space mission in the present day MCU seems silly and underwhelming with all the space aliens wandering around, the tech level of Wakanda, and the fact that Stark has apparently mastered nanotech (Wow.  Reed built a super advanced spaceship.  Woopdeedoo, given the tech we've already seen).   If they debut now, it seems anti-climactic and underwhelming.  I think its better to set them in the 60s.  Its possible you could even have them disappear after only a couple years, caught in another dimension or some such and then reappear in present day.

Even though its sort of already been done with Cap, now that I think about it, that's the perfect way to do it IMO.  That would give them some history.

The Marvel Comics revision of the FF's origin had Reed Richards and friends testing a prototype faster-than-light drive. With sapient aliens indisputably and publicly out there, and some of them forcefully impinging on our planet, humanity developing the capacity to deal on that level would seem like a priority.

If Marvel wants to put the FF in the modern MCU, all they need to to is build something into the events surrounding the sequel to Infinity War. Otherwise, statistically, half the team's missing anyway.

If they want to start them in the past, I could see some kind of story that ends with the test of the prototype FTL drive. Just let it have an unfixed time dilation that means that they spent less time that what progressed in the rest of the MCU, and they eventually get to present day.

I doubt Kevin Feige would see any value in disconnecting the FF from the rest of the MCU by putting them in an era that allows for no interaction with any of the other established franchise characters. Moreover, if the FF are ultimately going to operate in present day, then it is simpler to just start them in present day, and not waste an entire movie getting them there. Starting in WWII with Captain America made sense since that was always a core aspect of the character. Starting in the 1990s with Captain Marvel is merely a means to a much larger end, which is introducing the Skrulls to set up a subsequent Secret Invasion storyline in present day. I see no benefit to drawing from that well again for the FF, and I doubt Feige would either.

On 9/30/2018 at 11:36 AM, Pattern Ghost said:

Awesome! I missed the bit in their origin story about Reed being rewritten as Elon Musk.

It makes perfect sense in the context of the Moon landing being fake.

Maybe they could fight the Mandarin. ?